mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Garmin Virb Elite

Finally got my verb elite. I need to work on mounting it in a better location (handlebar mounts are boring but easy). My temperature sensor did not pair so I need to try that again. Unit is simple to work. Virb Edit places the GPS data into the video, but I would like to see the option added to decide which data is added--I do not see much use for G-force in most of my bicycle videos. I also think Virb Edit adds more artifacts than i-movie, but the difference becomes less when they are uploaded and played via Vimeo (non verb edit video in next post). Video was shot at 1080P, stabilization on, lens correction on. I used the record switch to turn the camera on/off for recording during the ride.

Using verb edit, then i-movie to place in transitions and titles

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Here is the video edited in i-movie only which of course means no GPS data.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I did "enhance" the video in the first post bait in i-movie and that is why the color is a little warmer.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    interesting,.. didn't even know Garmin was making that... not bad!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Mine showed up yesterday and other than the handlebar mount (and the k-edge gopro mount I already have) I'm also trying to figure out how to mount it. With the gopro I really like the perspective that the chest mount has, but the garmin equivalent is a shoulder harness that obviously won't work very well with a hydration pack.

I've contemplated using the gopro adapter with the gopro chest mount, but I'm slightly worried about how long the camera is and how that'll feel mounted to the gopro harness.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks for posting the video demo. I'm very interested to know if the editing software can export a moving map that plays along side your video. I've seen the screen shots of the editing software on the Garmin website showing your recorded map, but can you make the map 'play' along with your video on the final exported video?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    No map export. It does bring up a map during playback/editing in Virb Edit, but does not export. Virb edit has some growing up to do. external sensor data is not overlaying on the video, you can not select which data overlays--it is all or nothing, and on the mac version I am having export problems. Garmin is responsive, but it is going to take some time for them to get the software up to expectations.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Garmin just released the next verb edit update, and a good one too. Selection of gauge displays, a "track" (not a complete map, but a track diagram and your location on it), and it exports now on OS 10.9

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The new verb edit is much improved. The video was shot with a Virb Elite. The whole project is edited in i-movie, but the segment at 2min 30 sec was first done in verb edit to embed the gps data. Virb edit does a good job of not degrading the video quality. Shot with image stabilization on, and lens correction on. Video is in Girdwood--enjoying a weekend get away. Trails were plowed so no deep snow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    What a coincidence, was just there on Thursday on a quick visit!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    orind, whith the new update what data can you overlay on the video?

Thanks
    Are you a road biker that likes hills? Try this Michigan Mountain Mayhem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I do not know yet---The only external sensor i have is a temperature sensor, and so far, no luck with that. Over at the garmin forums, folks are having issues with pairing/overlaying external sensors such as cadence, HR, Power---My feeling is Garmin will have this sorted out in about a month. The camera itself is working well and overlays speed, elevation, grade, g-force (not really need on a bike), a "trail" map (just a line representation).

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Orind, your VIRB is downloaded on a mac, I presume?

Quote Originally Posted by orind View Post
    The new verb edit is much improved. The video was shot with a Virb Elite. The whole project is edited in i-movie, but the segment at 2min 30 sec was first done in verb edit to embed the gps data. Virb edit does a good job of not degrading the video quality. Shot with image stabilization on, and lens correction on. Video is in Girdwood--enjoying a weekend get away. Trails were plowed so no deep snow.

I just got an Elite, and I cannot get it to upload to my mac - is there any trick? I've tried what I believe to be all the tricks, checked USB settings, etc, but it still will not connect. I'm on a macbook pro, OS 10.8.5.
    I appreciate any help - thx, Nathan

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by elrayox View Post
    I just got an Elite, and I cannot get it to upload to my mac - is there any trick? I've tried what I believe to be all the tricks, checked USB settings, etc, but it still will not connect. I'm on a macbook pro, OS 10.8.5.
    I appreciate any help - thx, Nathan
    what do you mean? how are you trying to upload?
    you have hard drive and external drive showing in the finder? if you do then it should just pop up on the desktop as a drive and you can drag n drop the files...

click on "finder.. down to "preferences" widow will open up.. click on the "general" tab on top and make sure both Hard discs and External drives are check... poof.. everything pops up on your desktop.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    what do you mean? how are you trying to upload?
    you have hard drive and external drive showing in the finder? if you do then it should just pop up on the desktop as a drive and you can drag n drop the files...

click on "finder.. down to "preferences" widow will open up.. click on the "general" tab on top and make sure both Hard discs and External drives are check... poof.. everything pops up on your desktop.
    Yes, I had done that and they're checked. I'm on the phone with Garmin, their mac dept and the tech is working with me. Of course, it's one of those "never seen thsi before" thing.

thx

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    FIXED! Garmin support identified the problem - the VIRB needed a system reload. Happy camper I am.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by elrayox View Post
    FIXED! Garmin support identified the problem - the VIRB needed a system reload. Happy camper I am.
    Cool. Now upload quite vid.

mtbr member
    trying to edit my first "longer" film edit with the virb elite and having issues. it chopped an hour ride into 3 clips which each have their own part of the track but i cant get the complete track from my 810 to overlay on the video im creating from those 3 clips.

anyone encountered this and a fix for it yet?
    Scott Genius 910 tricked out as much as I could without getting a divorce

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've been wondering that myself. IIRC the full track limit was due to a patent issue, so it might not be easily fixable if that's the case.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neb001 View Post
    I've been wondering that myself. IIRC the full track limit was due to a patent issue, so it might not be easily fixable if that's the case.
    i thought the map showing was the patent issue. how does dashware get away with it? licensing? please tell me i dont have to use a 3rd party app to do the full track...

meh.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    have you submitted a ticket to garmin support?

mtbr member

Re: Garmin Virb Elite

Quote Originally Posted by neb001 View Post
    have you submitted a ticket to garmin support?
    Plan to once I'm back at a machine. Figured maybe somebody had come across this already