mtbr member

Garmin gets into the game

With what looks like a bigger sensor than GoPro, too, though they don't offer 2.7K or 4K.

Nor does it have the flexibility of the rotating lens that Contour/Drift have. I'm not sure about the mounts, either; if you have to use that cradle for everything, it looks like it'll be a bit unwieldy. But 3 hours of recording at 1080p sounds pretty amazing.

Garmin gets up in GoPro's grill with VIRB HD cameras | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

Virb Action Camera | Garmin

www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Airborne Flight Crew
    Feature Summary from mtbr blurb:
    Revealed: Garmin VIRB Action Camera | Mountain Bike Review

• 1080p HD video recording with 16 megapixel CMOS image processor
    • Chroma™ display: color, high-resolution; easier control of setup, playback and adjustments
    • High-sensitivity GPS, accelerometer and barometric altimeter
    • Wi-Fi connectivity; use with free mobile applications for iPhone® and Android™
    • Rechargeable, 2000 mAh lithium-ion battery, record up to 3 hours at 1080p
    • File Type: .mp4
    • 1080p HD video: 1920 × 1080; 30 fps
    • 960p HD video: 1280 × 960; 30,60 fps
    • 720p HD video: 1280 × 720; 30,60 fps
    • WVGA (slow motion): 854 × 480; 120,60 fps
    • Still photo resolution: 16 MP (4664*3496); 12 MP (4664*2632); 8 MP (3264*2448)
    • Photo burst: 6/s
    • Photo time lapse (seconds): 0.5,1,2,5,10,30,60
    • Water resistant: IPX7 (1 m/30 min) (up to 50m with optional Dive Case accessory)
    • Image stabilization: Yes (digital)
    • Lens distortion correction: Yes
    • MSRP: $299.99 (VIRB) $399.99 (VIRB Elite)

Its an impressive gadget

But no 60fps @ 1080
    (though it does have it a 960 and 720 - GoPro does 100fps @ 960, and 120fps @ 720)

Their promo video wasn't all that impressive quality-wise, very magenta biased and the images were not very smooth. Not sure the larger sensor is doing them any favors? I like the sort of flat contrast Pro-tune mode on the Hero, it's a good starting point for adjusting colors. Maybe the production cams will be better (and I realize not everyone will be producing videos in Premiere and Final Cut).

When a camera does magical things like "digital image stabilization", its usually not a very good feature (sort of like how "digital zoom" isn't really a zoom at all). I think real stabilization in a camera is done with the lens, just like zooming is. It may just work, curious to see some examples.

Lens distortion correction might be cool - can also be achieved in post.

16mp still images in burst mode (the Hero 3 doesn't have a 16mp sensor, it will do pretty good @ 11, something like 30 frames a sec for 3 seconds - or just shoot in 4K mode (about equal to 8mp) and get 15fps non stop).

Looks like it will do well integrating in to the Garmin world (all the gps/motion features) - the direct integration seems cool, but not something I'd personally be shopping for. Of course I only started really using gps stuff this year, so I'm behind the curve a bit.

Cool to have something fill the void where Contour left off, but I doubt this will be a GoPro killer. Can't wait to see some real world examples.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    There's more information over at DCRainmaker.

I don't get the non-rotating lens though (if true) - this would seem like a major limitation. For all the possible mounting places (e.g. side of helmet versus top of helmet, or bar-top versus fork) does the mount itself have to have up to +/-90 degrees of rotation to get the picture horizontal? Confused.

Edit - I guess it does, you can see that in the picture in the first post. That's why the mount is so clunky and high-profile. It will be a little better when twisted 90 degrees, but I imagine that the whole assembly is cumbersome/heavy for a side helmet mount. For a top helmet mount, we are well into Telly Tubby territory ...