Ride More, Whine Less

Fraken-mount idea--Seen one of these?

I'm wondering if anyone has dreamed up and sells a mount like this? I think I would be interested in one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I see a wrist clamp (would be better if it was 2 though), cup holder, and gopro mount.. PERFECT!

seriously.. i have no idea wtf i am looking at, or is that something to mount 2 different camera mounts on (gopro and the screw-on / tripod mount style) that can be attached to a bar?

Ride More, Whine Less

I photoshopped a kedge garmin mount together with a go pro mount. I only have so much space to hang stuff on my bar and I was hoping someone would have created something real like I posted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If I become rich and not famous...

3D Printers

I wish there was someone in the community that had one and would be willing to produce from submitted schematics + a reasonable commission.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I just sent them an email and asked them to make one, lets see what they say?

Ride More, Whine Less
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    I just sent them an email and asked them to make one, lets see what they say?
    I suppose I could have done that. I'll be curious what they say. It might not be too hard form them to do. The garmin mount has a sliding piece that could have go pro piece added to it provided the go pro mount was milled with a similar flat sliding bar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I still think that my original thought on the picture was better.. GoPro mount and coffee cup holder...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    dont bother wasting your money mate, bar mounting cameras doesnt work to good, the footage wont be very useable, it will turn out to shakey, to much lateral movement and will cause the viewing audiance to feel sick. there are better place to mount the camera. it's all about experimenting and getting creative.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Heres what they said,
    That is a good idea and actually we've been prototyping combination mounts like what you mention below. You may well see something like this come Fall.

Regards,

Joe

Ride More, Whine Less

Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    Heres what they said,
    That is a good idea and actually we've been prototyping combination mounts like what you mention below. You may well see something like this come Fall.

Regards,

Joe
    Interesting.

Ride More, Whine Less

Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    dont bother wasting your money mate, bar mounting cameras doesnt work to good, the footage wont be very useable, it will turn out to shakey, to much lateral movement and will cause the viewing audiance to feel sick. there are better place to mount the camera. it's all about experimenting and getting creative.
    The bar mount idea is really for my road bike more than my mountain bike. It would also be nice for trails that have smooth flow. I'm also growing tired of my chesty mount.

I'm thinking in the fall of getting the trail torch light that appears in some of the ads here. This would support that light too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    The bar mount idea is really for my road bike more than my mountain bike. It would also be nice for trails that have smooth flow. I'm also growing tired of my chesty mount.

I'm thinking in the fall of getting the trail torch light that appears in some of the ads here. This would support that light too.

yeah fair enough, i suppose for road riding it would work as long as the road is streight, its when things get twisty and you turn the bars that the footage gets crap. you can get some decent footage on smooth flowy trails if you lean the bike rather than turning the bars, most of my bar mount footage ended up in the bin as it was what i consider to be unusable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What about mounting on the head tube? It might limit the shake, or not? I have never used a POV camera but I am considering one - and I hate the idea of mounting it on the helmet.

Ride More, Whine Less
    I've looked at head tube mounting. That seems far more of a doable option with the contour cameras.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thanks. Can you elaborate on why that is so?

Ride More, Whine Less

Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    thanks. Can you elaborate on why that is so?
    Contour cameras are long and skinny and can be tied to the top tube, down tube, and head tube junction with a strap or cut inner tube. Since there is a lot of support tubes here, it will be steady.

This approach won't work with a go pro. You would need to mount it likely off the front of the head tube. This makes it more challenging for a steady mounting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hmmm... What do you think about mounting to the upper section of a lefty fork (which, strictly speaking, is not a fork but a "pillar")? It would be on top of the shock, hence a bit more stablized than otherwise. The diameter of the pillar is very large - probably the standard adapters would not be wrappable around it...