mtbr member
    Aug 2011

First Video - Constructive Criticism Needed!

My most noticeable problem right now is getting a picture that does not bounce all over the place. I have tried GoPro's bike mount, but that is awful (in terms of how much the camera bounces). Here is my first video uploaded, a small portion of todays ride just to give you an idea of how badly the camera bounces when attached to my helmet via the gopro helmet mount: Dauset Mountain Biking Trail - Pine Mountain Downhill - GoPro HD - YouTube

So I have read through the Custom GoPro mounts thread and I am probably going to try anthonyi's solution with the pvc pipe around the handlebar. I am somewhat skeptic though because all of his demo videos seem to be on very smooth terrain, which doesnt really exist on the trails I ride here in central georgia.

Another problem you will notice from viewing the video is the constant clacking noise of the camera hitting up against the case. I am not entirely sure what is causing this. I am using the backplate that has the two openings for "better" audio.

I am still new to doing this so if you have any other opinions on possible mounting options please share. Looking at other videos, it appears chest mounts are a good option. I just want something that is much more stable then what I have now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I go with the chest and handlebar mount BBB Studios - High and Low

I'm using a DIY chest mount which I made from the baseplate the packaged GoPro was sitting on. The handlebar mount is stock. You can't go wrong with these two. The clacking noise is the buckle. Place 2 lines of tape underneath the buckle, that'll get rid of 90% of the noise.

mtbr member
    That's a little strange that your footage is that bouncy. The mounts almost seems loose. Are you using the the strap that is for vented helmets? This might be a dumb question but is it tight enough?

That trail did not look very rough and should look super smooth from the helmet mount. I really like the chest mount but getting the angle right takes a couple practice shots.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by theGreenEGg View Post
    That's a little strange that your footage is that bouncy. The mounts almost seems loose. Are you using the the strap that is for vented helmets? This might be a dumb question but is it tight enough?

That trail did not look very rough and should look super smooth from the helmet mount. I really like the chest mount but getting the angle right takes a couple practice shots.
    Yea, I am using gopro's vented helmet strap and it is really tight. I think the problem is my helmet though, since the camera sits as far to the front as possible, my helmet isnt really balanced correctly. Because of that, it jumps around a bit, even though the strap on my helmet is on very tight underneat my chin. I am going to try gopro's handlebar mount and see if that is any better, although I doubt it. If not then hopefully one of those pvc pipe custom mounts with styrofoam shock absorbing insulation will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Silviu View Post
    I go with the chest and handlebar mount BBB Studios - High and Low

I'm using a DIY chest mount which I made from the baseplate the packaged GoPro was sitting on. The handlebar mount is stock. You can't go wrong with these two. The clacking noise is the buckle. Place 2 lines of tape underneath the buckle, that'll get rid of 90% of the noise.
    oh, its the buckle! thank you, that makes sense. Will do the tape trick!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Halex'
    I've tried loads of different options and have concluded that the vented helmet mount simply doesn't work for me and it certainly won't work on the handlebar mount Whilst the gopro is light it's still too heavy to place on your helmet and have it be stable enough to get good shots.

My solution is the chest mount. This is excellent at smoothing out the roughness but even then it's going to bounce around some if it's really rough. For best shots it needs to be mounted to a full face helmet with one of the sticky pads. Frankly the roughest tracks are still going to look rubbish. good light and smoother trails will give you the best images to work with.

P

it's....
    I get the smoothest video when mounting the camera somewhere on the frame.
    Tried seatpost mount (both front and rear facing), downtube mount and got smooth videos.
    Also tried chest mount and helmet mount but both get some bounces.
    Worst is the bar mount which gives me motion sickness with constant left-right left-right scanning. Guess this would be good if you only ride in a straight line.
    I'm currently rigging up a headtube mount which I hope would be the ideal view.

mtbr member

imho

That trail look very smooth for that much shake. I'm running a contour so it's more streamlined, has less of a moment arm for vent xc lids but if I'm going to ride anything that is rough, I use a full face helmet. I'm not even talking crazy downhill rough but just a trail with rock gardens, roots, and bumps will show more shake on an XC lid than a FF helmet. I use the Pryme AL as it is highly vented. I get some weird looks on occasion but it helps. See: Pueblo Reservoir on Vimeo
    I have seen shots from handlebar mounts-makes me sick watching the turning back and forth. Not fan.
    Frame mounts to seat tubes or downtubes shooting through the fork are pretty cool. I also have a gorilla pod I set up for static shots.
    I think the biggest thing in putting a video together is different angles and short clips. A normal 1 hour loop will take me 2-3 hours if I want to make a video.
    From what you posted, I think you are just looking for feedback on setup so I'm not knocking that. But once you start shooting more and you start splicing stuff together, short 8-15 second clips are the best. Anything longer and you start loosing the attention of the peson watching.
    The other thing that got me the first few times is I went out and just shot a ton of random video. When I came back, I got lost trying to splice it and edit it together. (Actually the video above is like that too-but I just put that together to show a friend those trails). I think it is best to have a plan of what you want to shoot before you go out, like your favorite after work ride: Palmer Park Colorado on Vimeo
    This is someone else's and I think it was one of the best out there, good song, good angles and is a story: Shiny new shoes on Vimeo

sorry for the ramble. woke up early for work for some reason and nothing else to do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    get a chesty mount and run the gopro upside down