Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First video

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

First video

So just before Christmas I picked up my new to me used 2012 Rockhopper. And with that I got myself a GoPro for Christmas. Yesterday was the first time I got a chance to ride since I got the camera, so I strapped it to the helmet and took some videos. I am going to buy the handlebar mount and see how that does, because being 6ft tall, on top of a large frame 29er, that camera is way up there. I had to duck more then usual to make sure the thing didn't get ripped off.

This is my first ever mtn biking video, and my first ever video posted to youtube. It's nothing fancy, just a couple small drops and a nice winding path through the brush. The man in front of the camera is not me. That is a guy that used to ride sponsored by Specialized. He was on an Epic test bike.

Comments and voting are available, so please be gentle if you decide to critique my camera work or biking abilities. (Does MTBR not allow for the videos to be directly linked in?)

Jan Thiel - YouTube

Certifiably Crazy
    You just have to paste the embed code.
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks Carlos.
    Where is the embedded code? The other forums I frequent just need either the address bar or "share" link in the post.
    Nevermind, I went back and looked. Link for the embedded code right next to the link for share.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    And here is my 2nd attempt at a video. I saved this one at a higher quality then the first one before uploading it, so hopefully it's more bearable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    And my 3rd video. One of my riding buddies said he would prefer 80s rock for a soundtrack, so Scorpions it is....

Ride More, Whine Less
    ^Did you run the stabilizer. The way the frame moves is really strange, but it seems to create an effect like the frame is dancing to the music.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Stabilizer? Now you got me diggin through my GP manual again. I haven't learned all the ins and outs of it yet. This was just my first chance to take it for a ride, so I threw it on the helmet and had it record.

I will gladly accept any tips for making better videos. This island I'm riding on isn't very well video documented, so anything I can do to make more professional looking videos will only help for future riders gathering information.

I'm hoping to have my handlebar mount come in the mail tomorrow so I can use it this weekend. If not I will have it for next weekend.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

Ride More, Whine Less
    The stabilizer isn't a gopro setting, but something you can apply within youtube or your video editing software. Youtube will let you know if it thinks your video is shaky.

Don't worry about bad videos. It is fun just getting out. I created this thread rather recently. You can see how bad my first video was.

The cutting room floor--a home for your worst videos

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ahhh, that stabilizer thingy. I think I clicked no on the first 2 and yes on the 3rd one. I didn't really notice any difference with the 3rd one though.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Nice videos. Point of view is always a load of fun. And that 3rd video with the youtube stabilizer turned on is...interesting. I've never seen a version where the boarders shift like that. The previous vids I've seen that ran the youtube stabilizer just made everything look like an acid trip.

There's sort of an inverse relationship with where the gopro is mounted vs the impression of speed. The higher up it is, the slower it is, and vice versa.

But you'll also discover that where you have it on the top of your head is about the most stable it is going to get, as you are damping shocks with your entire body. Clamping it to the handlebars will make the ride look faster, but also more violent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks Zuarte. No more using the Youtube stabilizer.
    That's the big thing I don't like about the helmet mount. You can't get any real perception on speed or how big the climbs and drops are.
    Hopefully I get my handlebar mount today so I can check out the difference this weekend.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    And my 3rd video. One of my riding buddies said he would prefer 80s rock for a soundtrack, so Scorpions it is....

Wow! It's a dancing video! Awesome!
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yup, All thanks to the Youtube stabilizer.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    So just before Christmas I picked up my new to me used 2012 Rockhopper. And with that I got myself a GoPro for Christmas. Yesterday was the first time I got a chance to ride since I got the camera, so I strapped it to the helmet and took some videos. I am going to buy the handlebar mount and see how that does, because being 6ft tall, on top of a large frame 29er, that camera is way up there. I had to duck more then usual to make sure the thing didn't get ripped off.

This is my first ever mtn biking video, and my first ever video posted to youtube. It's nothing fancy, just a couple small drops and a nice winding path through the brush. The man in front of the camera is not me. That is a guy that used to ride sponsored by Specialized. He was on an Epic test bike.

Comments and voting are available, so please be gentle if you decide to critique my camera work or biking abilities. (Does MTBR not allow for the videos to be directly linked in?)
    Video is excellent, I only recently got my own camera too, I tried the handle bar mount but found it to be very shakey. I got the chest harness and have to say the footage is much better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Scuboo. How tall are you and where does the camera sit when in the harness? I thought about getting it, but haven't decided yet. I was trying to figure out angles and what not. It seems like with the chest harness, I would end up with a lot of video facing downward at the bike as I lean over/crouch.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

mtbr member
    I'm 5"9, it sits at the top of your chest, I adjust the camera before I ride. I point it toward the sky and that way when you ride it gets a view of your hands, handlebar and everything in front it's a really great view, I will post a video when I have enough posts

mtbr member
    A spin on some local trials trying out the new camera and harnes

Ballinastoe Boardwalk - YouTube

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    The chest harness is about the best balance between stability and sense of speed. Let's get one thing out of the way immediately - unless you have a long travel suspension bike set to plush travel, the video will be jittery. I've found that handlebar mounting is the most violent, as it uses non of your body's shock absorption. And if you like to crank your bike up hills from side to side, the footage will make people sick.

For the chest mount, here are some things I've settled on:

- I wear the harness tight to the point where it feels slightly uncomfortable. Then I know it won't flop around as much. As you tighten it, wiggle it around, and keep tightening it. It will naturally settle on some point of your body. For me it's under your chest and above my stomach.

-Shoot footage in upside down mode, and mount the camera upside from the harness so you can angle it properly.

-Point the camera up, higher than you think you need it. In fact, your head should come into the shot immediately if you look down at it. Yeah, that high up. I've found this to the best balance in angles. When I'm sitting, only the handlebar is visible. When I'm standing, the horizon is close to the center of the screen.

-Choose your fov angle wisely. I think some resolutions on the gopro means it will shoot in 170 degrees, while others make it shoot in 120 (?) degree field of view. The wider it is, the more latitude you have to work with between sitting down and standing up.

-What gopro do you have? The 3 has wifi preview from your smartphone so you can check angles before riding.

mtbr member
    I don't have a gopro, I have a Aiptek Sporty CamZ3, there is a small LCD screen on the back so it's possible to check over footage. It uses the same fittings as a gopro. I have used a gopro before and I find this camera just as good if not better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nice vid Scuboo. The harness looks like a good idea. Your vid was shot a little lower then I would prefer, but it still seeme dto catch everything.

Thanks for the advice Zuarte. If I get a chest harness, I will definitely keep your tips in mind.

I have the GP2.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuarte View Post
    ...... For me it's under your chest and above my stomach.

uhhhhhh.....unless u r the hottest asian chick alive no thanks !

too bad this isn't off camber--everyone would have a ball with this one. lol.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    uhhhhhh.....unless u r the hottest asian chick alive no thanks !

too bad this isn't off camber--everyone would have a ball with this one. lol.
    lol Context is everything, I suppose.

Scuboo, that Aiptek footage looks like pretty good. Even better that it can use gopro mounts.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuarte View Post
    The chest harness is about the best balance between stability and sense of speed. Let's get one thing out of the way immediately - unless you have a long travel suspension bike set to plush travel, the video will be jittery.
    This is crap commentary.

Ride More, Whine Less
    Quote Originally Posted by testing1.2.3. View Post
    This is crap commentary.
    Welcome to MTBR, but honestly, try a little harder to be constructive. Many would agree that the chest harness produces good results provided you get the camera aimed up enough. Also, depending on the nature of your trail, significant camera shake can occur over rough terrain no matter where the camera is mounted. Part of the fun of POV is experimentation.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Welcome to MTBR, but honestly, try a little harder to be constructive. Many would agree that the chest harness produces good results provided you get the camera aimed up enough. Also, depending on the nature of your trail, significant camera shake can occur over rough terrain no matter where the camera is mounted. Part of the fun of POV is experimentation.
    Cheers! Welcome to MTBR you late comer!

The chest harness mount produces mediocre footage, at best.

Significant camera shake does not occur over rough terrain if the camera is helmet mounted and the rider knows what they are doing when flying a helmet-mounted camera. Just the facts man, regardedlrss of how much that might upset you, man.
    Last edited by testing1.2.3.; 01-20-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast