mtbr member

Epic HD1080 cam?

anyone have one? or heard of anyone using one?

Epic Action Adventure Cameras
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Decent device, but needs some work

I have one. Here are my sustains/take aways.

Good picture at full definition setting (5 stars on read out). Sound so-so. You definitely need good lighting, as this doesn't capture well in low-light conditions.

Plug and play with PC is excellent. You have to transfer the videos onto the hard drive for them to play without skipping, however it will allow you to play from the device if hooked up.

I wouldn't take the SD card in and out frequently, as the door mechanism seems to have a short half-life.

Using off the shelf batteries is a huge plus, but they have to be lithium for maximum efficiency.

There isnt a lanyard attach point. The Countour has one and being able to secure the camera to something other than the provided helmet mounts would be a plus. On a side, I've already conveyed this point to the manufacturer via telcon, and was told it would be passed up for future development.

My big gripe is the fact that you cant rotate the lens aperture to "center" your field of view, like with the Contour. It has to be mounted on top of your head or the handlebars. In one of my applications, i planned to mount the camera on the side of my head with velcro ad nauseum. No go. The unit is designed to only be used with their attach pieces. Like a GoPro, however the selling point of the Epic is its svelte size. Ideally, you could mount it on the side of the helmet and not increase your size/signature.

If only they'd add a rotating lens and give the users a self attach option.

I paid just under $200 for the camera, underwater enclosure, and a SD card (bundle deal). All in all I'm happy with it but when it goes kaputs I'll be springing for a Contour...

Hope the info helps buyers.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    45ronin---yup the contour has a lanyard attachment that is WORTHLESS---The knot where it attaches pulls right through the hole when you catch the cam on a branch or whatever. Luckily I've never damaged or lost the ContourHD but have pulled it off the helmet several times with the lanyard failing EVERY time.

mtbr member
    thank you for the reviews, sounds like saving up for a gopro is worth the wait
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown