'11 Opus Strat

Editing software.

I tried searching for a thread already started with this tittle but couldn't!, So figured I would post my question in here.

I am currently looking for a FREE ( if at all possible ) editing program. Nothing super fancy..but fairly better than windows movie maker. They are so much money and for the amount I'd use it, it wouldn't be worth 'at the least' $50 to buy one.

Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The stock GoPro one is what I use. It's basic but does everything I need it to do and the slow-mo is 100x better than Microsoft. Clicky.

mtbr member
    Try to use Sony Vegas pro 11 (trial version). If you like, buy it, or crack...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    look through this forum its been asked lots of times, and there are lots of threads about it,,,
    if you look in the right places you can get what you want for free, though this might not exactly be lagal,

with editing software you get what you pay for, a basic package such as movie maker that come free with windows, or the easy edit thing from contour allows you to do very basic things like cut the dead time, add background music and maybe very basic titles,
    a slightly more expensive package like pinacle studio, sony vegas, powerdirector, ect ect will allow you to do slighly more, they will let you clip you vids do back ground music, soundeffects, titles transitions, and some effects, colour correction ect.
    and the professional packages will let you do everything, like i say you get what you pay for,
    i my self at the mo use sonyvega9 platinum (though nxt time i will get the pro pack) ive also used pinacle studio9 as well. my brother has used powerdirector7 but now usues i movie and final cut, all are good in their own ways, but not with out their flaws.

my advice would be get the most expensive one you can afford, as you will want a better software package as your editing skills progress,

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Yes I'll second the sony vegas pro. Now on version 12 which has been more stable for a lot of people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeCoffee View Post
    The stock GoPro one is what I use. It's basic but does everything I need it to do and the slow-mo is 100x better than Microsoft. Clicky.
    I've tried using Cineform to edit, but can't figure out how. All I'm able to do is convert the clip to .avi

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It is a great tool to work with .AVI files. Regardless of small executable size, this avi editor offers you unlimited power of digital video processing. Some high-tech tricks included into AVIedit allows you to perform with ease and fun the many interesting things, like video warping, color restore, noise reduction and so on...
    Regard's
    Ben Almeer
    Find Out More Here

mtbr member
    I bought Adobe Elements (both Photoshop and Premier) for $80 last year. They just did a special on the newer version (11) for $90, but it ended yesterday. If you call their 800 number (800-585-0774) and ask them if they'll still honor code BF2012, you might be able to get it for that.

Takes a bit to learn, but it can do a ton of stuff!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Vegas is pretty good. Adobe is great, easy to find and will always be supported. Pinnacle is decent and you can find it anywhere... Doesn't offer a ton of add ons but it's pretty user friendly. Mm is probably one of the worst IMHO. Not sure why I dislike it so much.

scz
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I prefer using AVS Video Editor.
    Quite simple to use for beginners, still you can get lost in the options if you want to...

Stabilization, color correction, scene effects, subtitles, background music, cutting, speed, and so on.

Supports many codecs.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have always used CyberLink PowerDirector , works awesome , it takes a little bit to learn the SW but pretty good to work with i think you can get under a 100 bucks ,,,,,,,

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Okay, I know you used the word Windows and Savings, but I have to throw it out there. Apple's iMovie. I love it and it has a lot of features. I rarely use them, but I love the fact that they are there.

'11 Opus Strat
    Cineform blows, I can't seem to figure that out. I ended up jumping on a copy of VideoPro X5 ( Something edition(?), came with the photo editor as well... $150 later.. ) Works alright I guess... Still using Windows movie editor lol..

> /dev/null 2&>1
    +1 on the adobe elements package (photoshop and premiere for around $100 on sale). I tried a few different trials for video editing and couldn't find anything that had the value that this whole package does, especially of you're interested in photography too.
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

Mulleticious

Adobe Premier Elements - Horrible!

Just want to add my 2c worth, in case people get the idea Adobe Premiere Elements is really good. Maybe it's because I'm not a pro video maker, but I bought it 18 months ago and have been using it a fair bit, and have grown to hate it. These are the reasons why:

For the first year or so it didn't crash, but recently it crashes often. This means you need to keep saving but still tend to lose work. Yes, I have tried re-installing it several times, and yes I do have a powerful PC with video drivers and everything you need to make HD videos.

It is also extremely difficult to learn how to use. Even after 18 months, I cannot find the correct format titles I want every time. You can't copy the same title format throughout the video, maintaining the format, but using different words. When you change the words, all the titles change. Try as I might, I have not been able to solve this issue. Massive time waster.

I'm sure there will be Adobe fans who will chime in that it can do everything, but the point is, I am not stupid, so if I cannot figure it out then lots of other people won't be able to figure it out.

I come from Windows Movie Maker (non-HD) and that was a dream to use. So easy. I only bought Adobe because I switched to HD and WMM couldn't handle this.

Continue to welcome more thoughts on easy to use, decent HD editing software packages.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnt2012 View Post
    Cineform blows, I can't seem to figure that out. I ended up jumping on a copy of VideoPro X5 ( Something edition(?), came with the photo editor as well... $150 later.. ) Works alright I guess... Still using Windows movie editor lol..
    Can Windows Movie Maker handle HD now? Is it free? Is it still as simple as it used to be?

'11 Opus Strat
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    Can Windows Movie Maker handle HD now? Is it free? Is it still as simple as it used to be?
    Can handle it fairly well. I shoot full 30T 1080 and runs smooth even off the Mem' card.
    Still free, I just use the shortcut that came with windows
    Simple, Simple, Simple

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnt2012 View Post
    Can handle it fairly well. I shoot full 30T 1080 and runs smooth even off the Mem' card.
    Still free, I just use the shortcut that came with windows
    Simple, Simple, Simple
    Sounds great - I'm gonna give it a try

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    try Camtasia 7

'11 Opus Strat
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    Sounds great - I'm gonna give it a try
    I can not find much of a difference between a Cineform/Adobe/Etc. Vs. Window movie maker, I've used them all and for simplicity and a nice finish product, can't argue with a free editor like WMM.

Don't get me wrong, Adobe and stuff has a lot of options for finishing video format, and in the end looks great on your computer... But.. After uploading etc, quality wares a tad. To do the crazy quality HD stuff it takes HOURS to edit,convert and upload.