Thread: DJI Osmo+

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

DJI Osmo+

This forum got me interested in Gimbal stabilized cameras. I had been using a Garmin virb, and while it did a decent job at vibration reduction, it just could not match what a gimbal can do. I picked up a DJI Osmo+ and use it with the DJI chest mount. My wife and I were on vacation in Arizona so I took the Osmo along and shot some video. DJI OSMO+ Chest mounted, ND32 filter on the Osmo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Another example--this time back home in Anchorage. One challenge is setting the pitch of the camera--once I get out of the saddle, I end up with the camera pointed to low.
    Last edited by orind; 05-23-2017 at 06:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hey mate I'm not familiar with the Osmo+ but doesn't it self level??? Isn't that the point of a gimbal??? I'm running a Feiyu Tech gimbal and it self levels so when I use it either forward or rear facing it's always perfect.

And how are you running it on your chest? Does the gimbal detach from the handle?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The Osmo has a joystick control on it to aim the camera--the three axis gimbal then keeps it steady in whatever position you have set it--so, when I get out of the saddle the gimbal is keeping the camera at the angle set, only my body position is now tilted--just need to nudge the joystick to tip it up, but usually when I am out of the saddle it is not a good time to take a hand off the bars. The Osmo is a handle with controls attached to a gimbal/camera---there is a mounting point on the handle that attaches to the chest mount.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Ok so I've just googled it and the chest mount, wow. I can't believe they mount to whole thing like that instead of maybe disconnecting the gimbal and then mounting that on a plate or something. Don't you find it awkward having all that hanging out there? I have bumped the Feiyu Tech occasionally on the bars or top tube on a big landing and it's pretty compact. Do you bump the handle on things?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It is a bit odd. The handle contains the battery, that is why it is not separated. The Osmo is not designed to be an action cam first. Surprisingly, for its rather awkward appearance and size, it seems to be out of the way. Also, I think we are riding different skill level trails--I am more cross country or trails with good flow---not much into big drops and such--I wanted something to remove the shaking in the video from tree roots and such.

Plus sides--it does produce a nice smooth image with excellent image quality. I have two batteries, each lasts about an hour, and it is very easy to change batteries. It accepts various lens filters.
    Negatives---It is awkward looking chest mounted. It does not seem likely to survive a fall. The handlebar mount is 32.8, and I have 35mm bars so I have not tried it. It is not weather proof.

Not suggesting it is better/superior to other set ups--indeed, given that its primary focus is not action cam, I doubt it is for most riders. For me, I did not already own a GoPro, so GoPro plus gimbal was going to run the same money. Also, I use it for more than cycling--it takes great panoramic and 360 shots, and is an excellent camera. The field of view is a much narrower than traditional action cams--plus and minuses to this too---on the one hand, no distortion. On the other, aiming it is a bit more critical.

I am keeping an eye out on the new generation of action cams coming out with built in gimbals. The Zerotech Rollcap looks interesting, but no real reviews of it yet (I am not sure it is even available yet).

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    There is certainly no issue with the video. It is nice and smooth and from the footage I've seen I prefer it to the GoPro although that's not surprising, I have a Mavic drone and the cameras are pretty similiar and I prefer that to the GoPro as well. I do have a mate with an first series Osmo that I have limited experience with, might have to get out and give it a shot for some of our static stuff.

And given you are using it for other stuff then it's a small price to pay for the flexibility.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    BTW--I too have a mavic. Was planning on using it to capture some rides while on vacation, but it turned out Maricopa Country (Phx Az area)does not allow them in their parks. Our usual trails at hoe are to dense with trees to use the mavic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Another video--chest mounted Osmo +. No ND filter this time--lighting was just too inconsistent.

mtbr member
    Good stuff man. I'm also in Anchorage. Nice to see another local. I read you had a Mavic. Got any aerial vids? Hoping to ride Kincaid tomorrow and get some footage. 👍🏼