Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Custom GoPro mounts

155K views 212 replies 87 participants last post by  ppilling13 
#1 ·
After almost losing (and / or destroying) my GoPro Wide and breaking my only seat-post mount, I decided to build a rock-solid seat-post mount and a new handlebar mount. I should be able to test them out this weekend and post a video.
Anyway, here are my two new mounts - made with a few dollars worth of hardware store PVC parts, SS clamps and 5-minute epoxy....

P.S.
I am always interested in seeing new mounts, so please post your photos. I know that Lee and others have posted some cool ones in other forums.

See less See more
#25 ·
mudpuppy said:
I really like that....can you provide some more shots of it so I can see how you got it all together?
Sure. My sewing is not exactly artful but it gets the job done. The zip tie is there because I broke the tabs off of my "J-hook" quick release. I never take it off to put it on my handlebar mount so it doesn't make much difference to me and it never rattles or shakes where it mounts to the quick release. Presently scheming a way to get a Go Pro HD, I think this mount will work well for the added heft over that of the SD model.

#30 ·
After cruising through this thread; I figured I'd better upload some pics and vids of my homemade mounts.
First mount is just a short boom i made from some aluminum shower channel, a chunk of old handle bar, and a recycled lock on grip.

Next is a chest mount. I used a 3M GoPro mount on the front of my 661 Coresaver. I was concerned about 3M mount coming off; but has put up with alot of use with no issues so far.

https://www.pinkbike.com/v/185314/l/

Chest Mount GoPro on pinkbike.com

Last is what I call the unicorn or narwhal helmet mount.

https://www.pinkbike.com/v/186908/l/

GoPro, Unicorn Helmet Mount on pinkbike.com

#77 ·
#54 ·
I just went simple with my needs :) No expenditure besides the Gorilla Glue & GorillaPod which I already had. The problem, as pointed out earlier, is that some of the mounts, in my case the tripod mount, requires you to unscrew the assembly. F that... That little nut can be a PitA to get in AND out of the hole it's in sometimes. Plus, out on the trail it's not something you wanna drop into the gravel.

I took a GorillaPod and the flat helmet mount from my GoPro kit and screwed a hole in the helmet mount the size of the screw on the GorillaPod attachment.

It took three different drill bits 'cause I wanted the screw to actually bite into the plastic so I started small and kept getting bigger until the screw would actually screw in. The plastic is quite hard and the screw from the GorillaPod isn't meant to work like a wood screw but it was sufficient to slightly increase the amount of contact surface between the screw and plastic.

Put some Gorilla Glue on the backside of the adhesive cover (probably won't do much good but it's a contact point so it can't hurt) and coated the inside of the hole I drilled with Gorilla Glue. Put a little water on the screw and mount and screwed it together. Let sit overnight to harden...

In the morning I had to do a little cleanup around the hole since the Gorilla Glue foams and expands slightly.

Now I've got a quick release mount for my GorillaPod to get off-camera footage :)

#196 ·
WheresWaldo, Awesome work man! Ill have to take a look at that store link because i've been looking for some mount options for cool views down by the wheels. Very cool stuff, for other DIYgopro.com has some pretty awesome home projects, one the mount a swivel arm to a helmet so its spins around as you ride. Sounds retarded, looks retarded, but the video sure is cool. Obviously not for trail use but neat none the less.

And whoever said they wouldn't trust a 3d printed connection to hold, they are making receivers for AR15s that are 3d printed, I would venture to guess that the gun powder propellant probably exerts a little more force and stress than a bike bouncing over some rocks.

#2 ·
It seems that Gopro has missed the mark on quick release mounts. With both the handle bar mount and the helmet mount you have to unscrew the bolt and change around the little articulating arms.....not easy/quick to do after a few hours of riding. Having the camera mount directly to the foot mount is the way to go. One question, what glue did you use?

#7 ·
acefaser said:
Did you rough up the plastic with sandpaper prior to gluing? I have had epoxy break free from PVC that has a smooth surface. Thanks for the picks, I could use some new mounts.
I used a very rough wood file. It helps quite a bit to put deep ridges in the plastic.

#11 ·
luap said:
Anthonyi thats a nice DIY mount and a good idea as a thread.
(You should crop you pictures as they are huge)
Here's one I did
Thanks. It is incredibly stable. Imperative for our rooty trails here.
Yea. I usually reduce but I forgot this time.
Nice job with yours also.
Here is my latest video with the new mount.

#15 · (Edited)
dsamsonite said:
What kind of epoxy are you using? I know you said 5 minute but what brand/kind? Have you tried using an epoxy putty? Thoughts? I am doing something similar but going to mount it on my stem. HAve you tried or thought about that. Thanks for your help.
Sorry for the delay in responding.
It is 5 minute 2-part liquid from Loctite. Better than putty because it runs and flows into tight spots.
I have not tried a stem mount as it will probably show too much of my brake cables, but that may be an interesting view. Post some shots.

#16 ·
I have decided to get rid of my handlebar mount and modify the seat post mount to create one universal mount for both handlebar or seatpost. A Dremel has been used to remove all excess epoxy to lighten up the mount.
Here are the new photos. It has been spray painted black to match my bike, but the unpainted photos show the design better.

#18 · (Edited)
For a seatpost cam you can use the helmet mount on the rear seat rails.

Just cross the straps in back, pull tight and "buckle" each strap on the opposite side (criss-cross). I then zip tie an X on each side.

Don't forget to use the "UPd" setting so your image is right side up! A real drag in editing if your forget... depending on your software.

ANTHONTI: Nice work on the mounts by the way.... mounting is kinda an art form!

#19 ·
I might as well contribute my mounts thus far.

Here is my handlebar mount, It has worked out great so far.

And an mount for a fork level and doubles as one for the rear shock.

I also made a chesty mount, but do not have any pictures of it yet. If anyone wants to see it I can take a couple of it,

-Brett

#20 ·
Carraig042 said:
I might as well contribute my mounts thus far.

Here is my handlebar mount, It has worked out great so far.

I also made a chesty mount, but do not have any pictures of it yet. If anyone wants to see it I can take a couple of it,

-Brett
Pretty cool.
Yea. Post them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.