Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Custom GoPro mounts

155K views 212 replies 87 participants last post by  ppilling13 
#1 ·
After almost losing (and / or destroying) my GoPro Wide and breaking my only seat-post mount, I decided to build a rock-solid seat-post mount and a new handlebar mount. I should be able to test them out this weekend and post a video.
Anyway, here are my two new mounts - made with a few dollars worth of hardware store PVC parts, SS clamps and 5-minute epoxy....

P.S.
I am always interested in seeing new mounts, so please post your photos. I know that Lee and others have posted some cool ones in other forums.

See less See more
#95 ·
I made a mount by attaching a flat adhesive GoPro mount with two bolts through a flat-topped headset topcap. Works ok, but there is some high frequency vibration. Nice and smooth when the bike is in the air. Can't see the stem in shot when using 720p 16:9 mode. I will post pics when I get to 10 posts.

I also made one from an old Vistalite handlebar mount for attaching to the seatpost. This one works really well. I tried it on the handlebars but with less success.

Strangely, on playback, even when the image is jumping up and down with vibration, the lens flare is perfectly smooth.

#98 ·
#101 ·
Very slick, Nick.

I will definitely get a zipline setup happening, but a very dodgy one, might even use foam to brake it as it hits the tree the line is attached to.

I am quite a fan of leaving a GoPro on 2sec still mode, there are usually 2 or 3 great shots out of the 1000 or so it takes. Much like most people use "normal" digital still cameras.

Come on 10 posts!:madman:

#109 ·
Just ordered a GoPro finally today. Went with the motorsports package as the camera will be seeing multi-sport use very soon.

I definitely will be making some mounts for my bike, may even start dummy'ing some ideas into cardboard tonight and picking up some materials. A slew of custom mounts will be used for my quad as well, I'll post some mount-builds once it happens.

Love the ideas so far.

#113 · (Edited)
Hi

Just got my gopro hd, i was wondering if i attached my gopro to a hardtail bike seatpost and rode it offroad, would the vibrations break the camera in the long run?

I was just curiouse because shurely the camera is taking a bit of a shake in!

Also is it worth updating my firmware?

Yours sincerely
Wayne

#114 ·
Hi

Just got my gopro hd, i was wondering if i attached my gopro to a hardtail bike seatpost and rode it offroad, would the vibrations break the camera in the long run?

I was just curiouse because shurely the camera is taking a bit of a shake in!

Yours sincerely
Wayne
The GoPro cameras are pretty damn tough and given that they don't have any moving parts it should be fine for that set-up. I think the problem will more likely be that the video will have a lot of vibration in it so you aren't going to want to watch hours of it set up like that. Setting up on your seat post will be good to get a different angle every now and then to create different angles for editing videos but I don't think you'll want to use this set-up as your primary shot.

If what you are riding over is smooth enough to get a half decent shot then I am sure the GoPro will handle many hours of that level of vibration.

#132 · (Edited)
I have been looking at ideas on here and trying to think of a stable mount on my helmet. This is my attempt at a scorpion, unicorn what ever you want to call it. I was just testing so yes that is a brush on my head ;-) I will be using a carbon pole with a counter weight for the finished mount. This was just a test for angles and pole length.

Small test video in my kitchen.
GoPro Scorpion Cam Test on Vimeo

The Mount is an old Mini pump braket:

#136 ·
I have been looking at ideas on here and trying to think of a stable mount on my helmet. This is my attempt at a scorpion, unicorn what ever you want to call it. I was just testing so yes that is a brush on my head ;-) I will be using a carbon pole with a counter weight for the finished mount. This was just a test for angles and pole length.
I forgot about this thread. Here is my first ride with the boom I showed you above.

#134 ·
Here's how I mounted my Go Pro to my stem. The first problem was keeping it light, and how to use the provided mount on a round stem. Since I am into building RC planes, I had some extra balsa wood laying around. I thought if I could stick some on the edges on the mount, I could sort of make a semi radius to match the diameter of the stem if I used enough 3M outdoor double sided tape. Meh, my first try.

#137 · (Edited)
Another quick release tripod mount. (referring to https://forums.mtbr.com/8042044-post54.html )

That Gopro tripod mount is a waste of money and a pain to use. Described below might be the easiest project ever for a homebrew Gopro mount---and you already have it.... So I hope you saved that large plastic square base that the camera was mounted on when you bought it.

You can cut it down. In my case I used a bandsaw. I cleaned up the edges with a belt sander

Drill a hole. If you have a 1/4 tap, drill it smaller than 1/4 inch and tap it. If not, drill it .265" get a 1/4 -20 nut.

Photobucket

Mount it on your tripod.

Photobucket

Done.

#138 ·
Another quick release tripod mount. (referring to https://forums.mtbr.com/8042044-post54.html )

That Gopro tripod mount is a waste of money and a pain to use. Described below might be the easiest project ever for a homebrew Gopro mount---and you already have it.... So I hope you saved that large plastic square base that the camera was mounted on when you bought it.

You can cut it down. In my case I used a bandsaw. I cleaned up the edges with a belt sander

Drill a hole. If you have a 1/4 tap, drill it smaller than 1/4 inch and tap it. If not, drill it .265" get a 1/4 -20 nut.

Photobucket
Very slick idea. :thumbsup:

#177 ·

DIY Chesty using the display lid of the box. The straps and clips were salvaged from old bags.

Cost of project. $ZERO$
Thanks for the inspiration discombobulated_conundrum.

Here is a version I made which is even more budget and only took about 10 minutes to put together - also for $0.

I burned slices into the display lid using a hot butter knife, and rounded the sharp edges with the same hot knife. threaded through an elastic strap cut from an old mtb light head strap and it's done.

I put my camelbak on, sit the plate against my chest and just loop the strap around the two backpack side straps, thread the free end through the plastic clip, pull tight and it sits solid as a rock.

I used Mr Lynch's suggestion of mounting upside down and pointing the camera upwards towards my chin, works a treat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.