Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Custom GoPro mounts

155K views 212 replies 87 participants last post by  ppilling13 
#1 ·
After almost losing (and / or destroying) my GoPro Wide and breaking my only seat-post mount, I decided to build a rock-solid seat-post mount and a new handlebar mount. I should be able to test them out this weekend and post a video.
Anyway, here are my two new mounts - made with a few dollars worth of hardware store PVC parts, SS clamps and 5-minute epoxy....

P.S.
I am always interested in seeing new mounts, so please post your photos. I know that Lee and others have posted some cool ones in other forums.

See less See more
#183 ·
#185 ·
I've been testing and making these for over a year specifically for mountain bikes. There are some example video's to check out. Quick change mounting system. All parts are precision machined for direct mounting points. No foam/rubber between mounting surfaces. Any flexible material between the mounting surfaces leaves room for movement (Shake) in the camera. The heart of the system is the machined Door interface eliminating the flexy plastic mounts.

All metal mounts are anodized black. The Torso Harness is a combination of machined HDPE and aluminum using our exclusive "gloves friendly" latching system and ultra wide platform.

#188 ·
Wow, some of these mounts are really ghetto! I have used RAM mounts in the past to mount Contour & GoPro cameras. Picked up a couple of Sony AZ1 Mini Action Cams and wanted something smaller and more refined than the RAM stuff. The Sony mounts are rather large and the GoPro bicycle mount is a disaster. So I created a few mounts in FreeCAD and am currently having them printed by Shapeways.

Here is a link to a 27.2 and 31.6 seat post clamp for the GoPro.
GoPro Seatpost Mount 31.6 x 17° on Shapeways
GoPro Seatpost Mount 27.2 x 17° on Shapeways

My original attempt had the arm extending straight out from the mount, but I have found that this limits the movement a bit. With a 17° angle, the arm is parallel to the ground with most standard geometries. Here is a picture of the original mount. The new angled mount should be here by the end of the week.

Why aren't threads like this stickied!

#189 · (Edited)
Custom camera mounts

I posted these a long time ago but I thought it would be good to bring them back. If you use RAM mounts here is what I did for a rear wheel skewer mount.

Took a ball mount with the 1.4 x 20 threads and retapped it a bit larger so I could insert a 5 mm insert

Then used it in place of a skewer nut.

Here is a replacement for a top cap.

Same top cap screw with RAM mount attached.

The skewer mount needs to be redone and I am still thinking about how to do it, I cannot get it to stay tight after a lot of bouncing down the trail.

#190 · (Edited)
I decided to make my mounts much more robust. Rather than using multiple adapters connected together, I am 3D printing some direct camera to GoPro mounts. Using GoPro as a "standard" monuting system makes a lot of sense to me as there are just so many different parts and they are cheap on eBay. But there are things that are just not available or are very clunky in operation or looks. I own a GoPro, three Contour and two Sony Action cams so here is what I have built.

To go from a Sony HDR-AZ1 (Sony Mini) direct to GoPro, I built one of these:

To go directly from my Contour cameras T-Rail system to GoPro, I made a couple of these:

I modified my seat post mount (pictured above) to sit parallel to the ground instead of at an angle down.

I also drew up the same seat post mount for a 31.6 mm post, but I have not printed it yet. The seat post clamps use two M4 x 16 mm socket head cap screws and nylon lock nuts. The rest of the hardware is the standard sized GoPro thumbscrew and acorn nut. The Sony Direct mount uses one M4 x 10 mm socket head cap screw. Click on any of the three images above if your interested in purchasing any of these. This is not a business for me, I just wanted to share what I was doing with the cycling community. One problem with 3d Printing, is that each part created is very labor and time intensive. Its not like making a mold and then injection molding thousands of parts, it is one part at a time. Hence the cost of building is more for the avid tinkerer and those who want to say they have something unique. I also try to focus on things that haven't been built yet (like the direct to GoPro mounts), or are of such poor design that they could use a reworking (like the GoPro handlebar/seat post mount).

#192 · (Edited)
Many home printers will use ABS (think LEGOS, but not as smooth and shiny), there are other options available. Many commercial printers print using a different method that uses Nylon powder fused with a laser. This is what Shapeways uses and what each image links to. Commercial 3D printers can also print some metals, although the cost goes up exponentially.

ABS printed parts are close to but not exactly as strong as the injection molded parts that come from GoPro or any compatible mount manufacturer. The Nylon parts are a bit more flexible if you make the walls thin, but stiffen up by adding material. Nylon can also be colored with RIT dye after printing. I have not had any issues with the 3D printed parts I have on my bike, which also includes Garmin mounts as well as camera mounts. Of course as with anything, how a part is designed contributes a lot to the overall quality and strength. That is why I tried to make the mounts direct types, that go directly from Sony to GoPro or Contour to GoPro, instead of using something like a Sony/Contour to Tripod + Tripod to GoPro.

Considering that this thread is full of homebrew amalgamations of parts and adapters, there is more of those I wouldn't trust than any 3D part I have. We have PVC pipe, Velcro straps, hose clamps, clamps made for other devices, epoxy, you name it. I have always believed, especially after years of trying different things, that direct mounts offer better device protection, stability, strength, lower weight and usually smaller profiles than a bunch of adapters strung together to get something to work. If I can make that happen with a 3D printed part, then that will be my first choice.

Just look at my Contour post above. I had to "build" an adapter to thread a 6 mm rod into the bottom of a RAM-B-273SS-M6U then use a RAP-B-201U-A Composite short extension arm attached to a RAM-B-348U-GP1. This ends up with a camera that is canted out to the side so it doesn't stand 12" above the bars. It is also highly prone to shaking no matter how tight you clamp down the extension arm. With my direct to GoPro 3D part I just use a cheap alloy GoPro style top cap and my adapter slid into the t_rail. Much lower profile and less prone to breaking in the event of a crash. Also the part count is lower, just two instead of three (not counting that the arm is two parts), and one 3D part is cheaper than all those RAM mount parts.

#193 ·
I added a few more direct connect mounts to go from the Contour and Sony to the GoPro. I am trying hard not to duplicate what is already available unless the current versions are just poor designs or too universal. You know the saying, jack of all trades, master of none. I really think that direct mounting is way better and will help eliminate shakes and jello by having less connections and lower weight. I love seeing all the innovative ways you guys are mounting your cams, and I often take inspiration from them.

I have them available on Shapeways Store here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/revolutionaries

#194 ·
So I am fooling around with chainstay mounts and found this in one of my old parts boxes.

So I decided to create this mount.

Just requires a single M5 x 45 mm socket head cap screw and one M5 nylon insert lock nut. Retains full functionality as a light mount. I am thinking that something like a small bar mounted Cree flashlight could be used as a movie light mounted on the same bracket. Or a double mount could be designed to add a Knog Qudos, which already has a GoPro compatible mounting tab. Should know in a couple of weeks if it will work.

The setup will put the GoPro mounting tabs about 60 mm away from the bicycle frame, so at its closest the camera will be about 30 mm (~ 1 3/16") away from the frame.

I think this same setup with no changes should work in the currently available KCNC Light Mount Bracket.

#196 ·
WheresWaldo, Awesome work man! Ill have to take a look at that store link because i've been looking for some mount options for cool views down by the wheels. Very cool stuff, for other DIYgopro.com has some pretty awesome home projects, one the mount a swivel arm to a helmet so its spins around as you ride. Sounds retarded, looks retarded, but the video sure is cool. Obviously not for trail use but neat none the less.

And whoever said they wouldn't trust a 3d printed connection to hold, they are making receivers for AR15s that are 3d printed, I would venture to guess that the gun powder propellant probably exerts a little more force and stress than a bike bouncing over some rocks.

#197 ·
#198 ·
I made this piece and kept it open source, as I am not interested in building it other than for myself. But if you have a GoPro and have or can get a hold of the older Contour rotating mount with LOCK button, then you can convert it to a Rotating GoPro mount without the use of an adapter. Any 3D printer should be able to print this part. It is up on Thingiverse. Original 123D Design source file is included.

Convert Contour Rotating Mount to GoPro Rotating Mount by WheresWaldo - Thingiverse

This is the Contour mount I am talking about, generation 1 rotating mount.

This conversion cannot be done with the newer lower profile Contour rotating mounts, but it is the only way to get a very low profile rotating mount for a GoPro without using two extensions strung together. When you take apart the Contour mount do not lose or break and of the pieces, especially the little U shaped locking piece.

#199 · (Edited)
Custom 3D printed GoPro seat post mounts (free download)

Anyone who has a 3D printer or has access to a 3D printer and wants a size specific seat post mount for their GoPro style action camera. I have posted 2 simplified designs on YouMagine. They both look essentially the same one is size specific to 27.2 mm round seat posts the other to 31.6 mm.

To print have your slicer program re-position the two halves and add support material. Cut away the support material after printing. The mounts use two M3 x 15 mm socket head cap screws and matching M3 nylon insert lock nuts to secure it to the seat post. A standard GoPro style thumbscrew and acorn nut (M5) attaches the camera. Long and short arm versions are available at the download links.

31.6 GoPro Seat Post Mount

27.2 GoPro Seat Post Mount

My way of saying thanks to this community. If you do not want to print your own I have more streamlined versions of these in many more sizes on my Shapeways page (see link in signature), plus stuff for Garmin and Sony too!

#202 · (Edited)
How to Mount a GoPro on a Garmin Virb Rotating Mount

A custom GoPro mount that uses a Virb Flat or Curved Rotating mount. Here is how I mounted My GoPro on the Garmin mount. First you need these two items from the Garmin Virb mount.

Then I had this GoPro/Garmin Mount Insert 3D printed.

Once inserted in the mount and the Garmin Lock ring screwed on and hand tightened you have this.

Now the rest of the hardware is standard GoPro stuff, you can attach the camera directly here or any of the myriad of GoPro extensions or attachments.

I really like the fact that this arrangement allows the GoPro to be tilted and rotated in as small and secure mount as possible, it is easy to loosen the lock ring just enough to rotate the mount to get the angle you need.

#203 ·
Anything new out there? I picked up a session recently, and would like to be able to quickly/ easily move it from bike to bike. The Talon looked really promising, but appears funding wasn't successful. All the others are super bulky.

#205 ·
Huh- still nothing QR though. I'd even go for something that could be used with the stock QR bases. A GoPro QR base that had the standard GoPro interface on the bottom would work, then I could use something like the K-Edge on two bikes and easily move it between them...

#208 ·
I'm looking for a GoPro mount that will fit my Thomson stem... there's the Roll Bar Mount:

http://shop.gopro.com/mounts/roll-bar-mount/GRBM30.html

But since the Thomson Elite X4 stem is flat on the top and bottom, the curved form of the Roll Bar Mount doesn't work well. Is there anything similar to this that has flat clamps on top and bottom, and a similar way to tighten the clamp to my stem?

#209 ·
I browsed the titles of this thread but didn't see anyone's under-visor mounting techniques. I'd like to stick the Session I'm buying to replace my Hero 4 Silver (lost/stolen) up under the visor on my DH helmet but am hesitant to rely on 3M stickies on the uneven surface. TLD D2 and 100% Aircraft helmets. Thanks!

#210 ·
Ok so finally received the SP mounts linked above. They work great, really positive click on the gopro qr mounts, and the SP mounts actually come with 2 SP branded QR which are good also.

Only issue so far is the mount is quite tall so needed to re-think positioning, but its stiff so havnt suffered any vibration induced footage wobble when ive mounted it to my handle bars to test.

DH40 - regarding your question, you should start a new post to get the best answers, but this might be of interest to your question... Making a Sugru GoPro mount - Factory Jackson Factory Jackson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.