Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Woodlot local

Custom ContourHD Camera Mounts

I am sharing my mount designs because I feel that most of the available mounts from Contour have some serious flaws that negatively affect the picture quality of the videos that people record using the standard mounts.

You first need to purchase a contour Tripod adapter and install it on your camera. Once you have the tripod adapter, the world is your oyster.

With this mount you can also use a small section of 1/4" screw threads and mate up with a GoPro tripod adapter. From there you are able to use all the GoPro mounts. VERY COOL

VENTED HELMET MOUNT:
    This mount is light weight, easy to install and remove, inexpensive to make and completely eliminates any vibration or rattling caused be a loose helmet mount.

It is a piece of aluminum bent at 90 degrees with slots cut in it for the velcro strap. A hole is drilled to attach the camera with a 1/4" screw. A little padding is put on the aluminum where there is contact with the helmet.

The camera lens is then rotated 90 degrees to be parallel with the horizon.

FULL FACE HELMET MOUNT:

This is a small piece of aluminum that is bent to an angle that when mounted to the helmet via the visor screw is parallel with the horizon. The angle and location of the mount is marked on the helmet with a small line so that if it is removed, it will be easy to re-align the mount and the camera is then aimed perfectly.

This mount is FAR superior to the goggle mount or the low profile mount because there is absolutely no vibration or unwanted movement of the camera while riding. The only movement is from the movement of the riders helmet (90% of the helmet movement is from a loose fitting helmet).

CHEST MOUNT:

There really aren't any options for a Contour chest mount that are commercially available and that aren't large and cumbersome. This mount is low profile, solid and inexpensive.

It comprises of a chest plate, a strap, an L bend of aluminum or steel and a screw.

The chest plate can be different sizes and shapes, BUT THE KEY is to limit the up and down movement. I have found the + shape more comfortable than a square or rectangle but you should experiment to see what works for you. My plate is made of nylon and made to look pretty with some faux carbon.

The L bracket is bolted to the plate and the camera secured with a 1/4" screw.

The mount is held firmly in place with a nylon strap around the chest. Multiple straps are not necessary if you pull it tight enough.

FIXING A LOOSE LENS:

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Lookin good!

Pretty solid work there Any videos to back them up?

Woodlot local
    Quote Originally Posted by COCAROCHE View Post
    Pretty solid work there Any videos to back them up?
    Give me an hour and I will render and upload a sample of the 3 mounts.

mtbr member
    can you say ur vented helmet mount is more stable than the stock vented helmet mount?

my stock mount is so shaky I'm ready to return my contour 1080p camera.

Woodlot local
    Here are samples of videos using the 3 mounts I made.

Woodlot local
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    can you say ur vented helmet mount is more stable than the stock vented helmet mount?
    Mine is SUBSTANTIALLY more stable.

One thing to remember is that your helmet MUST be as tight as possible on your head. If you have a helmet with an adjustable fit, make sure it is tight. The movement of your helmet is amplified on video.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I run a contour on my dirt bike and have found two secrets to good video quality. First is a solid mount if the mount has any flex or movement you get jittery video. The mounts you have look good. The second is regular formatting of the memory card. Not sure why but after a few uses the video gets choppy if you don't format the card.

mtbr member
    very nice setup. thanks
    I went with these guys: Xtreme Vu because of the same issue. Works great with a FF but not so much with a XC lid. The fact for me is I can't get the xc lid tight enough without it sucking and so XC lids are just that much more of an unstable platform. Same goes with the chesty type mount but I do like what you did and looks really good.
    I will say the xtremevu lens cover is awesome with the polarized filter! I have had a few people comment on how the color is so much better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    OP have you experimented with any frame mounts?

Woodlot local
    Quote Originally Posted by newnan3 View Post
    OP have you experimented with any frame mounts?
    Not yet, but I certainly plan to.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Excellent work!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Can you post a picture of the top helmet mount metal angle without the strap?
    Thanks!

Dual Squishy...
    Chest mount rules!! Can you post parts numbers and vendors where you got the parts to create that setup?

Nice work!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobRocket View Post
    Mine is SUBSTANTIALLY more stable.

One thing to remember is that your helmet MUST be as tight as possible on your head. If you have a helmet with an adjustable fit, make sure it is tight. The movement of your helmet is amplified on video.
    I have made custom mount for the helmet as well, very tight, not wobbly. And yet the video is horrible. Much worse than frame mount I made with the same concept. Is that because of the helmet? I cant tighten it more, it becomes really uncomfortable. Does this all mean Contour isn't really vented helmet type camera?
    "Flow" is characteristic of the rider, not of the trail.

Woodlot local
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnut22 View Post
    Chest mount rules!! Can you post parts numbers and vendors where you got the parts to create that setup?

Nice work!!
    I made the mount with scrap and spare parts I had in my garage.

I posted the info to show the concept and let people make their own with comparable parts they have or to let them go to a hardware store and buy what they need based off the general concept.

Woodlot local
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticrobot View Post
    I have made custom mount for the helmet as well, very tight, not wobbly. And yet the video is horrible. Much worse than frame mount I made with the same concept. Is that because of the helmet? I cant tighten it more, it becomes really uncomfortable. Does this all mean Contour isn't really vented helmet type camera?
    The contour is fine for vented helmet mounts. One thing you need to remember is that you cannot expect a video to look super smooth if you are seated on your bike on anything rougher than a paved or smooth gravel surface. To gain smoothness you need to be off your seat and use your knees and body as the stabilization for the camera.

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Very nice work on the mounts BR. Another key to quality smooth video, is riding very fluid. You should consiously be making your head movements as stable and fluid as possible; as well as a stable mount, and a good fitting helmet like BR mentioned.
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

mtbr member
    May 2011
    These mounts are awesome. I'm trying to find out where to get the chest mount material. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BobRocket View Post
    The contour is fine for vented helmet mounts. One thing you need to remember is that you cannot expect a video to look super smooth if you are seated on your bike on anything rougher than a paved or smooth gravel surface. To gain smoothness you need to be off your seat and use your knees and body as the stabilization for the camera.
    Thanks for the great advice. I just started mtn biking 3 months ago and just got a Contour due to their recent price drop to $138.....

Between the handlebar/vented helmet/chest mounts, where would you say the best video quality is.....chest mount?

I'm not nearly as handy, would you consider selling any of your mounts?

Woodlot local
    Quote Originally Posted by phoshizzle99 View Post
    Thanks for the great advice. I just started mtn biking 3 months ago and just got a Contour due to their recent price drop to $138.....

Between the handlebar/vented helmet/chest mounts, where would you say the best video quality is.....chest mount?

I'm not nearly as handy, would you consider selling any of your mounts?
    I'd say the chest mount, or full face helmet mount are the most stable. The full face helmet mount somewhat flatten the viewing perspective so I kind of like the chest mount better because it makes for a more interesting view.

I'd certainly consider selling the mounts I've made. If you want one, just PM me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    another thing to consider would be mounts from RAM. just do a google search for RAM mounts and you will find them.

have used their products to mount several things to motorcycles over the years and they work great.

they have a camera mount also and by combining it with their various arms and bases you could probably mount the camera anywhere in the bike.

mtbr member
    I ran 2 1/2 inch velcro straps I got at REI through the goggle mount. It appears pretty solid so far. My motivation was that the camera came with the goggle mount and I didn't want to spend much more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post

my stock mount is so shaky I'm ready to return my contour 1080p camera.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    I ran 2 1/2 inch velcro straps I got at REI through the goggle mount. It appears pretty solid so far. My motivation was that the camera came with the goggle mount and I didn't want to spend much more money.
    Did you attach the goggle mount to your bike or helmet? Would you be able to post a pic?

I am trying to make a mount like OP and will report back my results.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoshizzle99 View Post
    Did you attach the goggle mount to your bike or helmet? Would you be able to post a pic?

I am trying to make a mount like OP and will report back my results.
    I attached them through the vents on my helmet. I'll post a pic when I get home from work later, about 5pm pacific time.

One other thing I'd like to try is put a thin layer of foam in the goggle mount under the disc that attaches to the camera. I think this should eliminate the play between the disc that mounts to the camera and the part that the goggle or velcro strap(s) run through. Maybe the foam will also act to absorb some vibration too.
    I like to ride bikes.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Apr 2011

Contour chest mount

If anyone is looking for a more "off the shelf" type of Contour Chest Mount then check out the videos we posted on this thread.

Kudos to @BobRocket though, those are some really well though out mounts. Did anyone notice the short section of tube that he is running on the front of the camera? Looks like a great way to prevent any shake. in the lens whilst still making it easy to rotate it if you need to.
    Matt Fitzhardinge
    Launch Helmet Cams
    We'll beat any online price for mtbr.com members!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast