Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I used these from REI to attach the goggle mount to the vents.
    REI Sport Wrap - Package of 2 at REI.com

Apparently I'm brain dead today and can't post a picture today. I've only been on MTBR for over 7 years. Oh boy....
    Last edited by otis24; 10-05-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    I used these from REI to attach the goggle mount to the vents.
    REI Sport Wrap - Package of 2 at REI.com

Apparently I'm brain dead today and can't post a picture today. I've only been on MTBR for over 7 years. Oh boy....
    Cool, thanks! Glad to see they're fairly inexpensive. Have you tested it out yet to see if the video is stable?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoshizzle99 View Post
    Cool, thanks! Glad to see they're fairly inexpensive. Have you tested it out yet to see if the video is stable?
    I haven't even had a chance to use the camera for the first time yet. I won it on Pricepoint.com and got it on Tuesday. I can't say enough how thrilled I am to have won this camera. I've been researching and reading reviews and saving money for so long and then all of the sudden here it is! I never win anything either.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    I put the pics on my flickr. Here's the link
    Contour HD GPS | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    I put the pics on my flickr. Here's the link
    Contour HD GPS | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    cool, have you had a chance to test the video quality using your setup?

btw - congrats on winning the camera! I've used it while snowboarding and the quality is awesome. It's also very easy to start and stop recording WHILE riding due to the large recording switch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoshizzle99 View Post
    cool, have you had a chance to test the video quality using your setup?

btw - congrats on winning the camera! I've used it while snowboarding and the quality is awesome. It's also very easy to start and stop recording WHILE riding due to the large recording switch.
    Unfortunately work has taken over my life for the last few weeks. I've gotten as far as walking around the house with it on, but that's about it.

I'm getting desperate for a bike ride. Even a road ride or the trainer would be good at this point. And I hate the trainer.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    can you say ur vented helmet mount is more stable than the stock vented helmet mount?

my stock mount is so shaky I'm ready to return my contour 1080p camera.
    Shooting in 720 mode is much smoother

mtbr member
    The goggle mount is what I currently use to mount my GPS to my helmet .
    This mount came with the cam and as far as Im concerned , the other mounts
    (2 way tape)that came with it are not secure enough for MTBing .
    I don't want to see my cam go bouncing down the trail .
    After spending this amount of money on this cam , I didnt want to shell out more
    for Contours vented helmet mount before I gave this one a shot .

I had to put it on top as the sides of the helmet are not flat enough and if mounted
    there , will direct the lens too far past center and not down the trail .
    I also used cable ties for a more secure mount .
    One thing noticed so far is video shake .
    When the cam is mounted in the goggle mount , it is not 100% stable in it as it floats around a bit .
    Im trying to find something to fill that void that will not compormise the security of the mount .

mtbr member
    Sample vid - Pinecone Express - Death of a Chain on Vimeo

Note - this is the only Contour vid in my collection so far .

mtbr member
    My custom mount, not a long term solution but it was super stable and last minute. If anyone else is in the same situation it works flawlessly(unless you're riding through a lot of mud)

Gaff tape with a zip tie around the top for switch access.

My video, It's in low resolution and a bit hazy because I was wiping mud off the lense quite a bit. Is a great perspective though IMO. Really shows air and terrain conditions better than a high point mount like helmet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm Custom Fork Top Cap Mount & Seat Post U-Bolt

I am using some mounts, while not technically "custom", They do not use the standard Contour mounts. What I have found is the most stable Contour mount is the Contour 3100 Universal Adapter. I took this and with a few parts from RAM was able to mount on both the front and rear of my MTB and Road bikes and minimize the vibration.

Here is how I mounted the front camera. It is a combination of an aluminum steerer top cap a RAM-B-273-M6U, which is a 1" ball on hex M6 female thread. A stainless steel M6 stud. The stud is screwed into the ball with just a bit of blue Loctite 243. After 24 hours I took my carbon top cap off and replaced it with an aluminum one then threaded the RAM mount into the star nut in the steerer. Since top caps are only necessary to preload the bearings at assembly and the stem is already tight I have no issues hand tightening the mount on top of the top cap.

The seat post mount is a RAM-B-231U, which is a U-Bolt base with both .75" and 1.13" stainless u-bolts, The base is big enough for 1.25" u-bolts which I picked up from McMaster-Carr.

On my road bike the camera end is using the Universal mount with a RAM-B-237U, a 1/4 x 20 thread on a 1" ball. the thread is not too long and it does not bottom out in the Universal mount's socket. This is by far the most stable, direct mount imaginable and I do not suffer from anywhere near the vibration that I have seen on a lot of videos posted on YouTube or Vimeo.

I have just picked up the waterproof housings for my GPS and + so I was planning on using those on the MTB as they would likely provide an extra level of protection for the cameras while riding. I have yet to ride with the housing on.

I have used the standard 3" arm (RAM-B-201U) as well as the long 5.25" arm (RAM-B-201U-C) but found out with the long arm if you use it in such a way that it cants the camera away from the mount rather than directly above or below, vibration will eventually get the better of the mount and there will be some slippage. I am told that the slippage will lessen as the balls lose their shiny coatings. The most solid arrangements have been with the 1.75" short arms (RAM-B-201U-A) as pictured above.

I am still trying to figure out how to get the cameras in precisely the spots I want them and will be trying the twist lock RAM-B-200-12U. Even though it is resin instead of aluminum the reviews I have read say it is very stable and it will allow me to move the plane the camera moves in 45 increments. I am also going to try the double ball RAM-B-230U, since that will allow me to clamp together two of the short arms at different angles. I am still trying to find a way to mount onto the front fork that won't mar or deform any of the parts and I am trying to see of there is a way to mount a ball to one of the water bottle cage bolt holes.
    Last edited by WheresWaldo; 11-12-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Well, this seems like the best thread to discuss Contour's crappy mounts and altering and Making custom mounts sooo

I got the Low profile mount thinking I could stick it to the side of my helmet and it would "conform" the the slight curve. It did but the next morning the mount had actually peeled away from the sticky tape.. not the tape from the helmet.
    I did contact Contour and the rushed me out a new mount (and actually gave me a different one) So I do have to say cudos to Contour's Service department!!
    you can see what happened in the vid I took to show them...
    Contour | Stories | Profile Mount Failure

I still like the idea of side mounting the cam instead of on top of the helmet, the trails here aren't so clear and riding with the thing on top of my head with all the low branches and stuff,... well it would be bye bye in NO TIME!!! So, I took the bad mount and just tie wrapped it to the side of the helmet. I did have to cut slots in the mount as the thing is so close to the camera when you slide it on it hit the tie wraps.

I still found most XC- non-full face helmets are kinda floppy on you head, which gets worse when you add the weight of the camera to it. I found that tie wrapping down the rear loose area of the strapping to help a good bit keep it a bit tighter, far from perfect but it's a noticeable improvement to the video...

I also used the goggle mount and Tie Wrapped it to the frame where the head tube, top tube and down tube meet..

The goggle strap mount is made to have, well a goggle strap going through it so without the thickness of the strap the mount bobbles around inside the clip. A just stuck some Gorilla tape in there to take up some room as it was the first thing I could find. A little piece of foam or something might be better but everything I tried fell out every time I took the cam off so this seemed the best option at the time..

The frame mount system is by far my favorite video quality and position, now I just got to get the cable out of the way... here's a vid if you haven't seen it in my other post...

Contour | Stories | Riding the Bluff - Part 2
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-H View Post
    My custom mount, not a long term solution but it was super stable and last minute. If anyone else is in the same situation it works flawlessly(unless you're riding through a lot of mud)

Gaff tape with a zip tie around the top for switch access.
    I share your philosophy
    For this one I made a chest mount of an old (but clean ) pizza box, glue and gaffa tape:
    Bikepark Albstadt - DH - YouTube

Good for trying it out and if you don't want to use it every day or weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Well, this seems like the best thread to discuss Contour's crappy mounts and altering and Making custom mounts sooo

I got the Low profile mount thinking I could stick it to the side of my helmet and it would "conform" the the slight curve. It did but the next morning the mount had actually peeled away from the sticky tape.. not the tape from the helmet.
    I did contact Contour and the rushed me out a new mount (and actually gave me a different one) So I do have to say cudos to Contour's Service department!!....
    Yeah, their camera is great but the mounts suck. I cannot use the helmet mounts as it causes to much stress on my neck. I had laminoplasty a few years ago and have to move my head constantly to keep it from getting sore while riding, even with a Giro Prolight helmet.
    I still like the idea of side mounting the cam instead of on top of the helmet, the trails here aren't so clear and riding with the thing on top of my head with all the low branches and stuff,... well it would be bye bye in NO TIME!!! So, I took the bad mount and just tie wrapped it to the side of the helmet. I did have to cut slots in the mount as the thing is so close to the camera when you slide it on it hit the tie wraps.
    This is precisely what this thread needs show us all ways to make it work! Thanks for the clear images.
    The frame mount system is by far my favorite video quality and position, now I just got to get the cable out of the way...
    I am still trying to figure out where I can use this mount, with a bit of foam glued into the round portion I think you can eliminate the gaffers tape. I know I will be able to use this somewhere, I just haven't figured out where that place is yet.

Right now I am working out the details and waiting for parts to make a mount that replaces a quick release skewer nut without compromising safety. As soon as the parts arrive I will post an image or two showing how I MacGyver'd it together.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Heres my mount. I use it on my helmet and pretty much anywhere on the frame that can fit. I used the goggle mount and a elastic velcro strap.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post
    Heres my mount. I use it on my helmet and pretty much anywhere on the frame that can fit. I used the goggle mount and a elastic velcro strap.

where'd ya get the velcro strap,.. never seem one that is "elastic"
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    where'd ya get the velcro strap,.. never seem one that is "elastic"
    its spare battery straps from my gemini light. I seen them at arts and craft stores too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    After seeing the video of fixing loose lens BobRocket posted up I improve my goggle mount. I used a blown Maxxis flyweight tube that I had laying around. I cut a small piece and wrap the circle to keep it secured in the strap mount. Next I cut another piece to wrap the contourhd with the circle to eliminate the up and down movement . I have no issues with the record switch. Seem to be very secure with no movement or shaking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm Custom Skewer Nut RAM Mount

Okay here is my modified ram mount to replace the skewer on a quick release axle. The first thing you realize, that there is no RAM mount that fits a quick release on a bicycle wheel. They make 1" balls with either a 6mm thread or a 1/4"x20 thread. Neither of these threads will work on the M5 thread used on modern quick release skewers.

I started out with a RAM-B-358U which is a 1" ball with 1/4x20 threads, works well with a tripod screw but I will be using a quick release instead. I needed a way to convert the threads from the SAE size to a M5 threaded hole, the only way I could do that safely was using a Thread Repair Insert. My only choice was an 8mm outside / 5mm inside. This is how I had to make it fit. Thread inserts come as plain and stainless steel, I used the plain ones here as they are considerably cheaper and I just wasn't sure how well this would work.

First thing was to slightly enlarge the hole so that I could re-tap it with an m8x1.25 tap. This requires a 6.9mm drill and some patience. Once enlarged I could take the tap and a few drops of cutting oil then slowly tap the hole out to 8mm. I cleaned everything up and set it aside to dry. the result is what is pictured below.

Once there I got out my Thread Repair Inserts and the accompanying tool and put a drop of LocTite 243 (Blue) in the hole. The LocTite was not really necessary as you can see the thread insert I chose was the locking type, hence the need for a tool.

After you thread the insert in so the top sits just underneath the rim of the ball mount, you insert the tool and a few taps of the hammer drives in those two little pins. Locking the thread insert in for good. What you end up with is something that should look like this:

You can clearly see the pins on each side of the insert. The thread insert is 8mm deep and the actual hole in the RAM ball is about 20mm so there is full thread engagement on the skewer and no worried of it pulling out. One thing that is an issue, the post on a RAM mount is on the small size as it's only 11mm in diameter, so you need a washer on the end to keep it from slipping into the dropout. You can see how it mounts here:

With various arms you can get very low angles or wide out from the frame, with one mounted in place of the front skewer nut you can get it to bounce with the front wheel, I am not sure just how good that would be but it is possible. Since the threads are 5mm, a 5mm stud will let you use a water bottle bolt hole in the frame. I think if I build another I will likely use the RAM-B-273-M6U, which has a hex head. That post is just a bit bigger and may eliminate the need for a washer. Here is one last image showing an arm and camera mounted.

If you want the ball on the other side of the bike there really is no reason you can't simply turn the skewer around. Someone might comment on the fact that the skewer is mounted "backwards" but that really isn't an issue for the skewer and they likely don't have a cool Contour camera either!
    Last edited by WheresWaldo; 11-12-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Added a small note

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Small modification to skewer mount

As I suspected the aluminum base for the RAM 1" ball is too small and there is a chance that the base might allow the wheel to become askew in the dropout. It is also too soft and easily deformed if not sitting perfectly flat. I think I fixed both of these issues with the following slight modification:

Epoxied a small steel washer over the end of the base. the washer being much harder than the aluminum post will not deform under loads typical in a bicycle. Since the washer is bigger than the base, it covers more of the dropout and is a more secure connection. If I need more surface contact I can always throw in another slightly bigger washer on the skewer. Of course the only way to attach this is with epoxy and to prevent vibration from breaking the bond I chose some golf shafting epoxy I had laying around. With this, as opposed to something like J.B. Weld, the joint should withstand vibration better and still be able to come apart with just over 250 from a small butane torch. I am assuming J.B. Weld will work but since it is so hard and nearly impossible to get off without grinding I thought it might be better not to use it in this case. If you are not a golf club builder then a good option might be any low / normal release temperature 24 hour epoxy available at nearly every hardware store (Ace, HomeDepot, Lowes, Walmart, etc.). I will test this out on the trails next week to see how well it works, but from my ride around the neighborhood I am encouraged that it works just fine.

Just one last note. If you want to mount the camera in any other orientation than below the axle you will have to use a serrated washer between the steel washer and the dropout. If you don't the weight of the camera will rotate the ball and loosen the skewer no matter how tight. Might be okay on a 29er or road bike, but a 26" will have the camera banging against the ground or worse whenever there is a clearance issue.
    Last edited by WheresWaldo; 11-12-2011 at 08:44 AM. Reason: One more point.

Woodlot local
    Waldo, that is some very impressive work.

When you get some footage of that skewer view I'd love to see it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Per your request:

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I like those!! nice job man! Don't think it'd be a good idea round here though, to many boulders and rock walls and such... think the cam would get taken out in 5 mins hanging out there like that...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Bob, you have to build one for your skewer mount. I'd love to see that vantage point on the stuff you ride..

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymouse View Post
    Bob, you have to build one for your skewer mount. I'd love to see that vantage point on the stuff you ride..
    Bob, if you decide to build a skewer mount get the parts and send me a pm, I can walk you though the process. I would get a screw in insert rather than these tap in ones, it will hold up fine with some LocTite.

McMaster-Carr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast