govt kontrakt projkt mgr

Contour's back BUT I'd say NOT REALLY...

Very disappointing, but when Contour came back on the scene a month ago it was announced new models were far along in development and release COULD be imminent.

Being impatient I inquired, and to me, it is very bad news...

"Customer Support (Employee) @ May 05, 2014 03:45PM PDT

HI,
    Thank you for your question we really appreciate your interest in Contour. There has been some talk about a new Contour Camera being released some time this year, so far nothing but rumors. IF and when Contour releases any new products all the info will be released on our web site. Thank you"

That does not sound promising at all...if they really think very many people are going to buy existing left over models, I think hey are sadly mistaken. Best bet would have been to come back to market ready to go with exciting product.

I am going to go ahead and predict failure--as much as I hate to. I really do like the 2 Contours I already have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don't think they need a new model. The Contour +2 is pretty impressive as it is. The color, compression, frame rate, and clarity are all on par with every other POV on the market. They need to start developing more mount options. They need a chest mount, a tall helmet mount, a wide angle helmet mount, with a removable attachment piece similar to the one go-pro uses. Develop the user-friendliness and people will have more of a reason to buy. The picture quality is already there in the current models.

mtbr member
    What's a "tall" helmet mount and "wide angle" helmet mount?

Contour already has more and better mounts than GoPro, including a removable helmet mount.

Plus mounts for a ball cap, goggles, headband and strap on mounts. None of which Contour has. As for the chest mount, personally, I don't like the video produced from that perspective. Because of the 170 degree FOV, near objects get stretched... including a riders arms, making them look like ET's. Though, for skiing, a chesty would probably be really good.

Because of the rotatable lens, Contour's mounting options are virtually unlimited - far eclipsing GoPro's options. That, to me, makes it a far more versatile camera.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysSmiling View Post
    What Contour model shoots 2.7k/30 or 1080/60 with an available flat color profile, multiple WB options including raw - all at 45mbps?
    Oh come on, Contour people don't care about silly things like 2.7k or even FOUR K... specs schmecks. It's just better, that's all.

I don't think there's another camera on the market that holds a candle to the specs on the GoPro. Everybody else is playing catch up. I have/had high hopes for Contour, really thought they'd be the ones to bring GoPro a serious challenge. Maybe they will, and if they do, I'd welcome it. But don't ya know, I'll have to upgrade my computer now to deal with all the data!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysSmiling View Post
    What Contour model shoots 2.7k/30 or 1080/60 with an available flat color profile, multiple WB options including raw - all at 45mbps?
    All that stuff is great... if you want 20 minutes of battery life and/or are selling your videos commercially. But for the average Joe to upload his adventures to YT, all you really need is 730/30.

We all get lured in by specs that we don't need. More megapixels in your camera. More "stuff" on your watch. More memory or speed on your computer chip. More, more, more.

And don't get me wrong, I'm a gadget geek, too, who'd love to have the option of 4K or 2.7K or.... But when I stop to think about the trade-offs, what the hell would I do with 20 minutes of battery life and a short 4K video. And though YT does support 4K, the upload and download speeds required mean it'll be a long time before I'm looking to produce or watch one at that resolution. I mean, a 4K video - at original size - is 25' across! IMAX is only 2K.

I read somewhere that 1080p has already exceeded the level of our eyes to distinguish differences in the video, so....

Again, I'll stick with the versatility of my Contour, shooting at 720/30 for the bulk of what I (and most of us) do.

If I need to produce commercial grade video, I'll go get a GoPro Black, though.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    OK, so 20 minutes is tongue-in-cheek, but recording at that high resolution eats battery life. I don't have one, just basing it on the multitude of reviews, both pro and consumer, that I've read.

I'd rather have the 2.5-3 hours I get reliably from my Contour than as little as 56 minutes (by one account, recording at 2.7K).
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany