Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

ContourHR owners: mounting to bike?

I recently got a ContourHD camera. I purchased the handlebar mount off Amazon, but it's kind of a POS. Any suggestions for mounting to bike, both on handlebar, or for rear-angle shots. I've seen some really cool angles of shots at say the shock, or from behind.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

No, that's not phonetic
    With all due respect, those mounts are seriously ghetto.

If you are going to do a lot of filming and you want to invest in some quality stuff, try RAM mounts. They come in about a million configurations and allow you to position the camera in any location in a matter of seconds. They are also 100% rigid and solid once snugged down. Since they use ball joints and the single tightening clamp is in the arm, you can loosen all axes of movement at the same time, hold the camera where you want it, and snug down the the giant wing nut and it all locks in place instantly. It's all marine-grade, rubber- or powder-coated aluminum and stainless steel.

Here are some of the mix and match components I use (all 1" ball, or 'B' size):

You can hold onto any round or square tube that the clamp fits around.

Seatpost:

Fork:

If the tube is too big for the clamp or the clamp is too obtrusive, or you want something permanent, this clamp will go anywhere on the bike and popping the camera arm onto it takes no time:

I recently picked one of these up too. It's a bit lighter than the aluminum arms, and the upper and lower sections can be rotated independently so there is literally no orientation that you cannot achieve. Very nice:

gpscity.com sells all the RAM stuff and they have very cheap shipping.

Here are some camera angles I grabbed on a ride:

Last edited by tscheezy; 03-25-2010 at 08:53 AM.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    With all due respect tscheezy not everyone wants to ride around with a pile of aluminium on their bikes. The Vholdr POV mounts I posted (and Pedalphile also has some velcro mounts that he juryrigged) look just fine.

YMMV but your setup looks like a gongshow - metal bits sticking everywhere including a piece close to the nutsack. Ugh

No, that's not phonetic
    Lol, I didn't mean to get under your skin with that comment. Sorry if you took it wrong.

I really don't care how a mount looks. I care how it works. And these mounts work incredibly well.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Not at all. I think the video output from my mounts look fine. I haven't seen the video outputs from your mounts so reserve comment. But I think it's great you're experimenting with mounts as that makes for interesting video

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    The only problem I have tscheezy is that I think I like your chest mounted GoPro video the best. I am guessing that is where the handlebar in the shot videos are from. Right?

No, that's not phonetic
    Yep, that vid has both Contour and GoPro footage. I left the GoPro on my chest and moved the Contour around on the bike. My Contour has a soft focus issue that I am trying to work out with VholdR. My GoPro is noticeably sharper all across the field of view. That is the case whether or not it is being used in motion on the bike. The GoPro chest footage is bouncier (due to the movement in the chest mount), but has much better detail. If I can't get the focus issue worked out on the Contour, it's going away.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    I was leaning toward to the Contour, but it seems like the videos that I like are from the GoPro... I have a neighbor who has the GoPro. Gonna do a demo and see if I like it.

Thanks,
    Bob

No, that's not phonetic
    I prefer the form factor on the Countour. The lasers are actually extremely helpful as is the rotatable image capture element. You can always find a place to put the camera, even if you need to mount it sideways. The GoPro comes with a waterproof case which is super nice, and the mounts are better thought out. If I could combine the best of each, I'd be super happy. The differences have been well documented by many including LeeL. I'd lean towards the GoPro at this point.

mtbr member
    Nice vid, Cheezy. I use a bar mounted RAM mount with my POV 1 as they are more robust and flexible than VIO's own mounts. I use a similar setup but with a permanent ball mount rather than the G-clamp, the same setup as demonstrated at Headcamguy's site. I can't take the mount off quickly but I can use multiple mounts...

I like the forward facing shot mounted at the rear. Your mount sticks out quite a bit which allows the viewer to see past your leg but exposes it to obstacles somewhat. I'm reluctant to ride a high speed with a mount sticking out that far which probably why you can't see past me in my attempts at similar shots

No, that's not phonetic
    You make good points and the camera arm protruding as much as it does is a bad idea on some trails. I whacked mine a few times, I admit. The long arm does give the camera some parallax in view that direct frame mounting does not allow, and as you said it lets the camera see past objects that may otherwise be in the way, like the rider.

mtbr member
    you can alway use the google strap mount and try wrap it to the frame - lots of options front or rear facing - light compact - and will not send you to the hospital if you crash
    Jt

Here are a few Video Trail Guides I shot - just for fun:
    http://destinationproductions.com/cu...PassionTrails/

Tool

Fork/Frame Mount Pics and Example

Here is my fork/frame mount setup. It utilizes the VholdR goggle mount and a Velcro strap I made by sticking the hook and loop sides back to back (I made this strap about a foot long, but it would be better if it were at least 18"). You will see on top of this strap/mount is a thinner Velcro strap. The technique I use is to have the thicker Velcro strap provide the placement, and the thinned strap on top cinch everything down to eliminate shake. I've never been able to get the camera sufficiently snug with just the one strap. This setup can be used on many places on a bike:

Example video - front and rear facing shots were my ContourHD with the mount shown above - the rear facing shots had the camera mounted to the junction of top and seat tubes - the chest mount shots were done on a GoPro (480p, and yes, it was aimed a bit low):

Fort Rock MLK II from Pete on Vimeo.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile
    Here is my fork/frame mount setup. It utilizes the VholdR goggle mount and a Velcro strap
    -Pete
    yes I do basically the same - I do find the tie-wraps sometimes gets me a more secure attachment --

as you have shown, the mounting is flexible, compact and light..

It doesn't pay to have big devices that can knock out your teeth or crush your larynx --
    Jt

MTBR Contributing Editor
    After taking 100's of hours of videos with each unit, I prefer the ContourHD 1080p (at 960p). Tweaking the Contour camera settings (via the computer) really helps. I am not a fan of their mounts, and pretty much use the XtremeVu CamClamp mounts, which also have a ball that can be used with the RAM system.

Refer to http://www.gramslightbikes.com/2010/...ns-review.html

No, that's not phonetic
    Hey Pedalphile, your Contour seems to have the same soft focus problem mine does. The detail in the video is just generally lacking and edges seem muddy. Mine may be a bit worse than yours, but they are similar. My GoPro is a lot sharper than my Contour across the whole field of view at the same resolutions. I thought it might be a compression artifact, but it is obvious in my raw footage as well as comparing compressed files between the two cameras. I thought it was normal until I got the GoPro and put footage from both cameras in the same movie project. Just FYI.

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Hey Pedalphile, your Contour seems to have the same soft focus problem mine does. The detail in the video is just generally lacking and edges seem muddy. Mine may be a bit worse than yours, but they are similar. My GoPro is a lot sharper than my Contour across the whole field of view at the same resolutions. I thought it might be a compression artifact, but it is obvious in my raw footage as well as comparing compressed files between the two cameras. I thought it was normal until I got the GoPro and put footage from both cameras in the same movie project. Just FYI.
    I think I've always assumed that the rollijng shutter caused that effect. I don't think I've compared any static footage to moving to confirm whether the shutter type is at play.

I assume you've played with both the sharpness and bit rate? I've fiddled with the bitrate, which seems to have a positive effect as it increases, but I have not yet increased the sharpness to see how that might change things.

Unfortunately, we're in the midst of mud season here in NH...and this is also the busiest time of the year at work, so I won't have any opportunity to experiment for awhile.

-Pete

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Pete - pushing up sharpness increases the sharpness quite a bit. My raw ContourHD footage isn't as "muddy" as yours even when when I had default settings so perhaps your copy of the camera is not sharp? Thread discussing - http://www.vholdr.com/forums/contour...on-1080-camera

Diver - not only are the RAM mounts horribly clunky looking and a potential disaster in any technical terrain, compare their cost to the cost of Pedalphile's system (cost of webbing) or the VIO double hook and loop mount (8.95)

Last edited by LeeL; 03-11-2010 at 01:45 PM.

No, that's not phonetic
    The RAM mounts are also great for snow days. I have attached them to my binding, ski pole, etc. Being able to loosen, reposition, and then tighten all the movements with one knob is really nice because you can stop mid-run and totally change the camera orientation and go again in a matter of seconds. The second half of this video is mostly ski-pole-mounted footage:

Last edited by tscheezy; 03-13-2010 at 09:37 AM.

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    Pete - pushing up sharpness increases the sharpness quite a bit. My raw ContourHD footage isn't as "muddy" as yours even when when I had default settings so perhaps your copy of the camera is not sharp? Thread discussing - http://www.vholdr.com/forums/contour...on-1080-camera
    Thanks for the link, Lee. I have the ContourHD720, not the 1080...it looked like all the posts were regarding the 1080, not the 720.

Do you still believe my camera may have a defect? Can you point me to one of your vids shot with the 720 model for me to compare my footage to? If you have a place where I could download raw footage, that would be ideal since it will take any codecs that were using in editing/publishing out of the loop to assure an apples to apples comparison.

Thanks,
    Pete

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    Diver - not only are the RAM mounts horribly clunky looking and a potential disaster in any technical terrain, compare their cost to the cost of Pedalphile's system (cost of webbing) or the VIO double hook and loop mount (8.95)

]
    absolutely agree! BTW I have used/attempted to use ram mounts for some of our other production needs -- We found that the size vrs security doesn't me our needs. There are so many other super clamps etc that completely out perform the ram mounts in every way.

I totally understand the guys using the ram mounts are trying to be creative so a 10+ to 'em for that; BUT as someone who puts over 500 miles a month on my MTB I know its only a mater of time until you crash -- I can't believe any footage is worth the risk of having a huge heavy mount hit you in the face or worse..
    Jt

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by diver160651
    absolutely agree! BTW I have used/attempted to use ram mounts for some of our other production needs -- We found that the size vrs security doesn't me our needs. There are so many other super clamps etc that completely out perform the ram mounts in every way.

I totally understand the guys using the ram mounts are trying to be creative so a 10+ to 'em for that; BUT as someone who puts over 500 miles a month on my MTB I know its only a mater of time until you crash -- I can't believe any footage is worth the risk of having a huge heavy mount hit you in the face or worse..

Having used RAM mounts (camera and GPS) on motorcycles and bikes, I have never had one fly off and hit me in the face when crashing? Sorry I don't ride 500 miles a month, just 150, and again I having taken hundreds of hours of video and I have never had either the GoPro nor Contour fall off (no matter what the mount system) fall off on me, crash or no crash. I ride brutal terrain all of the time and I have found every mount system but the XtremeVu CamClamp using the dual lock connection is not very stable.

Sorry what is we? "We found that the size vrs security doesn't me our needs."

No, that's not phonetic
    I don't disagree. I think you could do serious damage to your bike if you wrecked on Amasa Back with a Ram mount sticking off your stays. I'm less worried when riding my Fatbike in snow.

So you record 500 miles worth of video a month?

Can you link to the clamps you like better than RAMs? I'd be curious to check them out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    I have never had one fly off and hit me in the face when crashing?
    Sorry what is we? "We found that the size vrs security doesn't me our needs."
    firstly please don't take offense - none was meant.

a. The issue isn't about the mount flying off and somehow hitting you.
    b. I am only raising concern about bar and top tube locations of the ram mount.
    c. Mounted as outline in b, I know of at least two cases were a RAM (sytle) GPS mount sticking up cased incredible personal injury. One resulted in lost teeth and a chopper ride. He was an active member of the site. The other bruised a rib (NEVER ACTUALLY CRASHED) in a g-out with a top tube location. (on a ram style mount)

I don't see how it takes a lot of imagination to view the risk with this mount system in these specific locations.

"Hundreds of hours of video" is defiantly a lot. To answer your question who are "We"? We are a film & photograph production company.

Your last question was regarding versatile clamps or "grips" Matthews and super clamps are an industry standards; but there are many more options. A super clamp can be found for about 25 bucks -- the one small clamp with your 1/4 20 VRhold adapter can do much of what all that RAM hardware doing.

see a few here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Su...1/N/4294550767
    Last edited by diver160651; 03-15-2010 at 01:06 PM.
    Jt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast