Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

ContourHD used to make video maps

Making a series of video maps using the ContourHD. The goal is to show realtime elevation profiles, and map locations while the trail video plays. it is for new riders to the area to get a quick info via the short voice over - then printout a trail map-- here is the link to one of the MTB areas. Each video has controls that allow you to skip to each trail change.. the downside is there is a pause at each chapter point as the next chapter loads.. Any suggestion/feelings on if I should offer a more traditional player interface that does not have the menu and chapter control but allows the viewer to fast forward or scrub back and forth?

http://www.destinationproductions.co..._SM/index.html

Here is a intro clip - no map data - http://www.destinationproductions.co...tro/index.html
    Jt

Here are a few Video Trail Guides I shot - just for fun:
    http://destinationproductions.com/cu...PassionTrails/

Interface could use improvement.

You should also provide the proper information. I would be kinda bummed I followed your trail guide. You show a good map from passion bikes then do not follow it.

Leading people on the road when there are trails to ride. Then later to find you missed riding trails because you instructed to go on the road.

According to your site, Looks like you charge for this service or do this for a living?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Speed
    Interface could use improvement.

You should also provide the proper information. I would be kinda bummed I followed your trail guide. You show a good map from passion bikes then do not follow it.

Leading people on the road when there are trails to ride. Then later to find you missed riding trails because you instructed to go on the road.

According to your site, Looks like you charge for this service or do this for a living?

NO CHARGE - NO MONEY just done hopefully, to be helpful -- There are about 6 maps on the page -- what one are you referring to?
    Jt

Quote Originally Posted by diver160651
    NO CHARGE - NO MONEY just done to be hopefully to be helpful -- There are about 6 maps on the page -- what one are you referring to?
    I noticed you stated an all-weather loop. I suppose it is better to take the road than sierra morena to blue blossom. (If it is very muddy)

Your map and ptb's map show's taking sierra morena rather than the road, so it may confuse people.

mtbr member
    Oh, I see — you are totally correct. I need to add a comment, do something to be clearer on this ride suggestion or change the map. Passion’s suggestion ride DOES include starting on the street from CM03— You are correct, I also would rather (in general) ride the dirt than the pavement. Unless the trail or my 10K investment will be trashed. The main reason for showing this loop, is because it's basically open in all conditions -- rain or shine

A couple of reasons for the road being shown:
    1. The ride suggestion is to park south of the main parking at gate CM03 – take the road, but return via the sierra morena so the last bit of the ride and memory isn't of the rough climb up. (not sure how to represent the road start and trail return - they basically parallel each other; Because I actual road up via kings then started the camera at Skeggs parking))
    2. I always almost always RIDE to the MTB in the areas (often combining several MTB areas) so the start sometime looks a bit different and If figured showing road and the various parking might be helpful (Skeggs parking lot and parking at EM02; CM03)
    3. Even returning via Serra M sometimes the tail can be so wet, that taking the road along the top is the best way to preserve the trail.

I am VERY THANKFUL for the comments, time and help – I will make some changes next week..
    Jt

No, that's not phonetic
    I think it's a brilliant effort. Very cool.

Since most of the route is incredibly obvious, it might make sense to only show intersections or areas where a rider may have to make a decision. Show a pan of the entire area at the intersection, and then show the rider riding the correct route. Most other sections are superfluous.

I like the map and elevation profile. How did you add those?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I think it's a brilliant effort. Very cool.

Since most of the route is incredibly obvious, it might make sense to only show intersections or areas where a rider may have to make a decision. Show a pan of the entire area at the intersection, and then show the rider riding the correct route. Most other sections are superfluous.

I like the map and elevation profile. How did you add those?
    just the trail intersections-- actually that is how the video is supposed to work, --Once the video is playing, mouse over the playing video: the back/ forward chapter selector and controls is supposed come up. using the arrows you can skip to any trail change or area of interest. I did do a kids loop like you suggested here turned a 20 minute ride to 6 minutes -- but the realtime - map location and elevation data don't work nearly as accurately --http://www.destinationproductions.com/customers/PassionTrails/PassionTrail_Kids_Loop_SM/index.html

again doing this all in fun and to try to be helpful -- maybe I should abandon the DVD style interface and just go with a old fashion download..

Elevation and times came off my Garmin 705
    Jt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Very cool!

How do you synchronize the video with the elevation profile and map?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Great idea -
    My comments :
    The video plays too high in the browser - allowing window to scroll up down to position the video would be a solution.

Can't read the elevation axis. You could also add the average slope or maybe a color coded category for each slope /decent from easy to hard.
    Add the gpx files for download.

About the scrubbing, could you not add both - scrubbing and markers?

Hope to see many more videos of trails like yours including gpx files.
    Its a great way of selecting a trail / region to go mtb..

locked - time out
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl
    Very cool!

How do you synchronize the video with the elevation profile and map?
    10-1 odds Sharon didn't log out and Lee is posting as Sharon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jello Sundae
    10-1 odds Sharon didn't log out and Lee is posting as Sharon.
    huh?

Am I missing something?

locked - time out
    Dec 2009
    huh?

Am I missing something?
    Lee posts in this forum a bunch. Sharon, not so much. I saw the reply and it was a guess that he forgot to check who was logged in before he posted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is Sharon. I'm the one who always posts maps and elevation profiles in our stories. Lee sent me this link to show how this guy synchronized this video to a bar and arrow moving along the elevation profile and map.

mtbr member
    This is Sharon. I'm the one who always posts maps and elevation profiles in our stories. Lee sent me this link to show how this guy synchronized this video to a bar and arrow moving along the elevation profile and map.
    I give the long and short of it in one answer -- the shot first ;-) I did a screen capture from Garmin Training Center and animated it in Adobe AE:

OK, the longer story - The beginning and end was identified - I ride to and from the trails. (They are between 2m and 30m away and a 2k - 4k elevation gain before I start the ride.) Then I mark the major peaks/valleys and trail intersections as well as any other distinctive feature. Again in Garmin's training center. Unfortunately, that is the easy stuff. Then it is all hand duplicated in Adobe After Effects..thats were all the time come in.
    Jt

locked - time out
    Dec 2009
    This is Sharon.
    Prove it. Where is/was "the fouton"?

Oh wait, Lee knows the answer to that as well. Damn.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I give the long and short of it in one answer -- the shot first ;-) I did a screen capture from Garmin Training Center and animated it in Adobe AE:

OK, the longer story - The beginning and end was identified - I ride to and from the trails. (They are between 2m and 30m away and a 2k - 4k elevation gain before I start the ride.) Then I mark the major peaks/valleys and trail intersections as well as any other distinctive feature. Again in Garmin's training center. Unfortunately, that is the easy stuff. Then it is all hand duplicated in Adobe After Effects..thats were all the time come in.
    Wow that must take some time to duplicate.

I'm looking for a solution that allows you to "automatically" feed your gpx or csv file and create outputs similar to yours.
    Found this http://www.chasecam.com/catalog/25/dashware which is not bad but will not do all what you want.

Would it not be possible in After effects?
    Can't you get an external data file to feed AE expressions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jello Sundae
    Prove it. Where is/was "the fouton"?

Oh wait, Lee knows the answer to that as well. Damn.
    The one where he did you up your ass? Or on boogieman? Or was it the boogieman that did it up your ass?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luap
    Great idea -
    My comments :
    The video plays too high in the browser - allowing window to scroll up down to position the video would be a solution.

Can't read the elevation axis. You could also add the average slope or maybe a color coded category for each slope /decent from easy to hard.
    Add the gpx files for download.

About the scrubbing, could you not add both - scrubbing and markers?

Hope to see many more videos of trails like yours including gpx files.
    Its a great way of selecting a trail / region to go mtb..
    GPX files - ya I had that up originally but my a Ranger I ran into -- suggest really should NOT as it proves just slow I was going and that at some point he could easily see his department using that both against me and the MTB community... honestly, if I rode them even slower posting the files would be ok I'm sure.

I like your idea of the color coding I certainly will do that on the next ones if not fix the current ones once I get some free time.

Ya the scrubbing and chapter marker would be cool but I can seem to get them both on the same file... I could have another link to a alternative file I guess..

Again thank for all help - great suggestions!
    Jt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

wow, that's a lot of work!

So you're basically eyeballing, lining it up and winging it. Good job anyway!

Doing it automatically would be really cool...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luap
    Wow that must take some time to duplicate.

I'm looking for a solution that allows you to "automatically" feed your gpx or csv file and create outputs similar to yours.
    Found this http://www.chasecam.com/catalog/25/dashware which is not bad but will not do all what you want.

Would it not be possible in After effects?
    Can't you get an external data file to feed AE expressions?

I use AE but don't think I get real time out put -tried it vie connect garmin
    Jt

mtbr member
    wow, that's a lot of work!

So you're basically eyeballing, lining it up and winging it. Good job anyway!

Doing it automatically would be really cool...
    yes but it is fairly accurate -- I had VERY inaccurate results when I tried using the auto -output and then trying to syc to realtime video
    Jt

mtbr member
    BTW larger versions are online link bellow each smaller video. I originally used the GPS maps -- but after many friends suggestions -- I started using the Actual trail maps; so when you print out the map, the hope is it will make clear when using it on the trail
    Jt

mtbr member
    Wow, I think that's a great effort! I assume you download the position and elevation data from a GPS device. I too, wonder how you synch it to the video.

Although it's good to give riders a view of the whole trail before they set off, I think a more zoomed in view of the current position on the trail map would be useful for riders. That way they can see the names of paths, roads etc. and use that information when actually on the trail to double check that they are going the right way (especially useful for those with a map but no GPS).

I'd thought about using a picture-in-picture effect to display a video of the trail map (zoomed in very close to the rider's current position) in the corner of the main video. The map video would move along the trail in time with the ride video, perhaps highlighting the actual paths taken. I'd thought about moving the lens of the camera slowly over the map or fixing the lens and moving the map. It still posed the challenge of getting the timing right, which you seem to have mastered. This picture shows a crude mock-up of what I was thinking of:

Alas, I've yet to try out the idea. However, since seeing your video, I think using the digital data is the better way to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankRizzo
    Wow, I think that's a great effort! I assume you download the position and elevation data from a GPS device. I too, wonder how you synch it to the video.

Although it's good to give riders a view of the whole trail before they set off, I think a more zoomed in view of the current position on the trail map would be useful for riders. That way they can see the names of paths, roads etc. and use that information when actually on the trail to double check that they are going the right way (especially useful for those with a map but no GPS).

I'd thought about using a picture-in-picture effect to display a video of the trail map (zoomed in very close to the rider's current position) in the corner of the main video. The map video would move along the trail in time with the ride video, perhaps highlighting the actual paths taken. I'd thought about moving the lens of the camera slowly over the map or fixing the lens and moving the map. It still posed the challenge of getting the timing right, which you seem to have mastered. This picture shows a crude mock-up of what I was thinking of:

Alas, I've yet to try out the idea. However, since seeing your video, I think using the digital data is the better way to go.
    In the larger video it is easier to see the map data; in later video I left the trail name on the video and the pdf (paintable maps have a red path line preset on them). you can see the map change in the last video http://www.destinationproductions.co..._SM/index.html its a long MTB ride to long really for online --

THANKS AGAIN!!
    Jt

locked - time out
    Dec 2009
    The one where he did you up your ass? Or on boogieman? Or was it the boogieman that did it up your ass?
    No, yes, no.

I'm not Lee's type.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast