mtbr member
    May 2009

ContourHD and the Goggle Strap

Hey folks,

I picked up a ContourHD1080 for a song a week or two ago and my question is regarding the goggle mount. a lot of videos i've seen with the ContourHD goggle mount is that there's a lot of rotational shake. I've mostly noticed it on Ski/Snowboard videos. I suspect its due to the weight of the camera being supported by the goggle strap and the goggle strap not being able to stay steady. Has anyone been able to eliminate that? did you do anything special with the mount?

I've been riding with an SD GoPro Hero and the mount is pretty solid. However, while snowboarding, I really don't like the way that it mounts with the arm and such. Nor do I like the birds eye view the the camera mounted on top.

should I just go with a direct helmet mount with an adhesive?

-joel

mtbr member
    You get the same perspective without the shake using a helmet mount on the side and hanging the camera upside-down. You can flip the video during editing.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    If its on a helmet what Ive done is put a bit of velcro on the goggle strap itself and then some velcro on the helmet also. You can buy velcro with sticky backing from stores (outdoor or otherwise). That helps eliminate quite a bit of shake.

If you're wearing the Contour just on a hat then its tough to eliminate the shake in which case I just film in powder or soft snow

mtbr member
    For me, its helped to move the mount as close as possible to the goggles and really tighten the strap. Although it seems like certain goggle straps are just too elastic. It also helps if I'm wearing a helmet since it's resting on a flatter surface, but you might as well just use the helmet mount at that point.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I think for Winter, i'm going to try LeeLs suggestion and add something to stabilize the camera on the goggle mount. I wear a helmet all the time so it shouldn't be too difficult.

For summer though I'll have to see which mounts I can attach to my helmet (specialized Deviant). I have a GoPro mount on it already and it seemed like it was the right size mount. I'll have to see how big the mount footprint is. The flat surface mount doesn't seem too big, but I kinda like the idea of the rotating flat mount.

Although, I also have to mount in a place on the helmet where the camera is pointing forward. Good idea with the upside down mounting. That will add some extra options i'm sure. The nice thing about the GoPro mounts is that you can set the angle of the camera regardless of how its mounted (to a degree at least).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have a countour hd and I get the shake when I used the goggle mount. For my motorcycle (what I use it for the most) I use the adheiseve solid mount that is attached to the underside of my visor, for mountain bikeing I use the goggle mount but I use 2 long velcro strips and run them through the vents in my helmet and use the goggle mount to mount it on the top of my helmet (standard xc mtb hemlet). It seems pretty stable there. I don't wear goggle's when I mtb so never tried it the standard way but I know on my motorcycle it moves even when I have the goggle strap pretty tight. It also changes the oritation when I am turning the camera on and off and that is the main reason I stopped using the goggle mount.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I didn't follow up on this thread awhile back and thought i'd do so now...

I ended up purchasing the rotating flat surface mount. I think it did pretty well. I need to buy another mount for my MTB helmet so I'm planning on ordering the low profile mounts for that. regardless, definitely no circular goggle shake anymore.

here's a sample video, the content isn't so great, but its pretty stable video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVgTCEmLiLc

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the new review. I really like the contour now. I'll probably still keep my SD hero and pick up a chest mount for it just to see how I like that perspective for my riding.

know of any places online that sell Countour mounts at a discount? along with the profile mount i miiight pick up the universal 1/4" screw mount and car mount.