mtbr member

Contour GPS Movies in iMovie?

I have tried searching, but cannot find details on how to import Contour movies into iMovie. First is it possible and second, where do I find the instructions?
    Last edited by Salespunk; 12-01-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Edited Title for other GPS camera users since I was not clear originally.

No, that's not phonetic
    Have you tried plugging the camera in via the USB cable, turning it on, and then right clicking in the iMovie Event Library and selecting Import Movies...?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I have tried searching, but cannot find details on how to import Contour movies into iMovie. First is it possible and second, where do I find the instructions?
    Select import -> file -> navigate to the Contour folder with the movies, select all, go have a beer while they import.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    Select import -> file -> navigate to the Contour folder with the movies, select all, go have a beer while they import.
    When I do that, they never import in sequence. They are all jumbled up which makes editing a pain. Still can't figure out why though...any insight on what I am doing wrong?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywings View Post
    When I do that, they never import in sequence. They are all jumbled up which makes editing a pain. Still can't figure out why though...any insight on what I am doing wrong?
    are they in numbered sequence on cam.. ? I find it works a WHOLE lot better and faster if you pull the card and use a reader over the USB cable with the cam... I also drag them into a folder on the hard drive and allow Imovie to actually move the files instead of copy.. saves space. Only thing I can think of is you are trying to import the folder as one and not selecting all the files, it'll then import the smaller files first as they just finish faster than the longer ones.. just guessing though

Just watched one of your movies, looks good, crazy insane riding there!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    are they in numbered sequence on cam.. ? I find it works a WHOLE lot better and faster if you pull the card and use a reader over the USB cable with the cam... I also drag them into a folder on the hard drive and allow Imovie to actually move the files instead of copy.. saves space. Only thing I can think of is you are trying to import the folder as one and not selecting all the files, it'll then import the smaller files first as they just finish faster than the longer ones.. just guessing though

Just watched one of your movies, looks good, crazy insane riding there!
    yup, standard contour numbering on the cam: file0001, file0002 etc. I have always pulled from the camera vs pulling the card. I would need a card adapter-may try that, thanks. Will also try moving them to a folder on the drive first next time too. I keep all the files and imovie work on a spare external harddrive but had the same issue when using the macbook's harddrive.
    When I go to select them, I select all the files, not the folder but it does seem to want to sort them in order of when they complete the transfer aka the smaller files come are first and once they are in the event browser I can't move them around (suggestion box!!)

thanks for the help and the comment...standard day riding around here in Colorado Springs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    sorry...didn't mean to thread hijack...

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    OK, it's kinda stupid, but if you go into the Movies folder-Imovie-IMovie Events-(your event's name in this images case "ghost shift")- Imovie Movie Cashe.. there is a file in there called "cache.plist" open that and scroll a tad down till you see the files listed with "string" wrapped around them... re order them then save the file... Open Imovie and they are in order.

sorta a pain but it works... could just import one at a time....... not sure which is more a pain.
    Last edited by thomllama; 11-28-2011 at 07:28 PM.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    OK, it's kinda stupid, but if you go into the Movies folder-Imovie-IMovie Events-(your event's name in this images case "ghost shift")- Imovie Movie Cashe.. there is a file in there called "cache.plist" open that and scroll a tad down till you see the files listed with "" wrapped around them... re order them then save the file... Open Imovie and they are in order.

sorta a pain but it works... could just import one at a time....... not sure which is more a pain.
    very cool...will try.
    Importing one at a time has been how I have been keeping them straight now for a bit (that and sometimes I have to reshoot a sequence--most of my videos are edited in how I ride that route)

mtbr member
    I've never had such a problem. What version of iMovie are you using?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    I've never had such a problem. What version of iMovie are you using?
    '11. Had the MacBook pro for about 6 months now

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    tad off topic, but like trail dog vid you got there MuddyWings!!! though I think I got a bit sea sick watching it LOLOLOLOL

mtbr member
    tad off topic, but like trail dog vid you got there MuddyWings!!! though I think I got a bit sea sick watching it LOLOLOLOL
    Thanks. You know...when I ride with the camera on I'm always thinking, "ride smooth, shoot smooth." I had a talk with her about that before I strapped the camera to her but she didn't take my advice.

For those that are curious:

mtbr member
    '11. Had the MacBook pro for about 6 months now
    I'm using '09
    Could be a bug?

mtbr member
    So the problem is that I have the GPS. I did figure it out though. They have to be pulled off the camera in the standard Contour program due to the extra GPS data. From there they have to be opened in Quicktime at which point they can then be saved the standard .mov format instead of the GPS proprietary .MOV (yes, there is a difference). Once I did that iMovie recognized the format and opened them fine.

Here is one of my first movies. Pretty rough, but it is a start...