Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Woodlot local

Contour HD - Chest Cam

Here is a test run I did of a chest mount I made for the Contour HD. Next time I think I'll tweak the angle but for the most part it works.

I'd like comments on whether you think I should aim it higher or lower next time.

ContourHD Chest Cam (Test #1) on pinkbike.com

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Pictures of the setup would be appreciated. See other thread - it had the same shakiness as your video. Needs to be pointed higher imo

Here was my half-hearted attempt in this article and video which was disappointing

Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Woodlot local
    I promise I will share my mount when I have it dialed. This was prototype #1 that took my 20 minutes the conceive and build. The current design flaws are that it is a touch low on the chest and protrudes a couple inches too far for my liking. It is my first attempt at filming with a Contour Chest Cam and when I aimed the lasers I put them a little too high.

So I'll tweak my creation. Re-test and reveal when it is dialed. I promise that I will provide detailed instructions on how to make it.

mtbr member
    Have you tweaked the mount yet?

I'm contemplating returning my contour 1080p because I cant stand all the shakiness in the video while using the vented helmet mount. I don't want to use software to eliminate the vibration since rendering takes forever.

Woodlot local
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    Have you tweaked the mount yet?

I'm contemplating returning my contour 1080p because I cant stand all the shakiness in the video while using the vented helmet mount. I don't want to use software to eliminate the vibration since rendering takes forever.
    Yes I have tweaked it but need to test it on a regular trail.

I've done one ride with it, but I was on my XC bike on somewhat rough trail around. There is a little bit of bouncing, but considering the small bike and trail roughness I'd say it is pretty damn good.

In regards to your complaint about the helmet visor shakiness; throw the Contour vented helmet mount in the garbage and make your own.

I am in middle of making mine and will post up the details within a week. I have tested a prototype and it works really well.

One thing to note that most people don't realize. You must ensure that your helmet fits really tight on your head. Even half an inch of rotation on your head will make the video look unstable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Me personally, I appreciate the angle. It's refreshing to see what's coming into the shot rather than having it being pointed down observing the front fork in action.

On a separate note, doesn't the Contour have a an application for either the IPhone or Android allowing you to wirelessly stream your video live to a smartphone? I think I remember seeing this on their website at one point or another. If this works for yours, I would suggest getting that dialed in so you have an idea as to what your angel looks like before you start shooting.

Woodlot local
    Here version #1 of my chest mount. It works well, but its a little low (almost gut level when riding) it also protrudes a little too far for my liking. I used an Ultraclamp for pivoting and aiming.

Last edited by BobRocket; 09-05-2011 at 06:34 PM.

My other bike is a GasGas
    Sep 2011
    I'm going to work on a shoulder strap mount (on curved plastic backing for rigidity).

Fezzari Alta Peak
    Sep 2011
    nice mount.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrocket View Post
    here version #1 of my chest mount. It works well, but its a little low (almost gut level when riding) it also protrudes a little too far for my liking. I used an ultraclamp for pivoting and aiming.

cool!

Woodlot local
    Here is version #2.

It is WAY more stable and sits closer to the body out of harms way.

mtbr member
    Nice.

I found these videos awhile back. Yours looks better setup.
    HowTo: Contour | Stories | How to make a chest harness for the VholdR camera

and Sample: Contour | Stories | Duthie Hill Park Dirt Corps Line first half
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4
    Yeti SB-66 Gallery

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Apr 2011

Contour Chest Mount

We put together a Contour Chest Mount using some products that are available off the shelf. It is built around the GoPro Chest Mount Harness with a Contour Universal Mount and a Drift GoPro Mount Adaptor. Here is a video of how it all goes together. It is possible to get the camera to sit a bit further back on the mount, closer to your chest:

Matt Fitzhardinge
    Launch Helmet Cams
    We'll beat any online price for mtbr.com members!

Woodlot local
    Quote Originally Posted by Launch Helmet Cams View Post
    We put together a Contour Chest Mount using some products that are available off the shelf. It is built around the GoPro Chest Mount Harness with a Contour Universal Mount and a Drift GoPro Mount Adaptor. Here is a video of how it all goes together. It is possible to get the camera to sit a bit further back on the mount, closer to your chest:
    Nicely done. I really like the integration of the standard parts. You should put up some test footage to see how it compares to a GoPro standard set-up.

Last edited by BobRocket; 09-14-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Apr 2011

Contour Chest Mount

Yep, we'll put together some footage and post it soon. The camera isn't quite all the way in to the Contour Universal Mount, which will get it back another 1" or so. I'm also going to test using the standard GoPro clip on the Chest Mount, rather than the J-mount clip which we used in this video. That should bring the camera closer to the chest mount as well (it's a bit hard to see/explain from the photo, the clip that I'm talking about creates the connection between the mount plate and the Drift Mount Adaptor).
    Matt Fitzhardinge
    Launch Helmet Cams

TranceX Rider
    Mounting hardware made easy! Awesome, Matt!

Thanks for sharing yours too, Bob!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    why not buy a gopro?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Apr 2011
    Contour cameras are smaller, lighter, easier to use and better shaped for helmet mounting. GoPro cameras are better shaped for chest mounting. Neither camera does it all perfectly, so you need to pick which features are more important and then work around the ones that aren't ideal. Some people like GoPro, some like Contour, others like Drift, etc......
    Last edited by Launch Helmet Cams; 09-20-2011 at 01:23 PM.
    Matt Fitzhardinge
    Launch Helmet Cams

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    noob question...

if you fall... isnt there a higher risk of shattering your rib cage with that chest mount for the contour compared to a gopro? im scared of going this route to mount a vid camera, because i most certainly do not want to shatter my rib cage.

My other bike is a GasGas
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Silviu View Post
    why not buy a gopro?
    Some prefer the optics and video quality of the Contour. While the GoPro might have a cleaner (tight to the chest) chest mount, the helmet mounting options have the GoPro realling hangin' out there.

As far as chest mounts and "shattered ribs" I would suspect the physical mounting hardware would have more to do with any injury, shattered or not, than would the type of camera.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlikestobike View Post
    noob question...

if you fall... isnt there a higher risk of shattering your rib cage with that chest mount for the contour compared to a gopro? im scared of going this route to mount a vid camera, because i most certainly do not want to shatter my rib cage.
    Nope, that is a good question and one I asked when we were putting ours together. I don't think there is a higher risk of damaging your rib cage or sternum for two reasons:

1) The "plate" at the centre of the GoPro Chest mount which we've used is quite big and will help distribute the force of an impact. So, although the camera hitting the ground is quite "sharp", the force on your chest will be over a larger area.
    2) The way the camera and mount adaptors attach to the GoPro chest mount is via the standard GoPro clip which has a weak point in the sides of the clip. In the sort of impact that would break ribs that clip is going to break and the camera will come away from the chest mount.
    Matt Fitzhardinge
    Launch Helmet Cams

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BobRocket View Post
    Nicely done. I really like the integration of the standard parts. You should put up some test footage to see how it compares to a GoPro standard set-up.
    OK, so here is an update. We used the standard GoPro clip rather than the protruding J-mount that comes with the GoPro Chest Mount. This really helped bring the camera in closer to the chest mount:

I've posted a short bit of test footage. You can hear the camera rattling in the mount - this is coming from the GoPro clip that connects everything to the chest mount. We should have used the GoPro white rubber thing to cut down the shake. We also could have had the chest harness a bit tighter. We'll post another test soon with those problems fixed.

Matt Fitzhardinge
    Launch Helmet Cams

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Apr 2011

Contour chest mount

After doing some more testing we've come up with what we feel is a pretty solid solution. We changed the mounting clip on the GoPro chest mount and added the white rubber plug to stop the shaking and the results are much better. Both these items are available in the GoPro Grab Bag. This video shows the mods and some demo footage (still could have been pointing a bit higher )

Matt Fitzhardinge
    Launch Helmet Cams

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Launch Helmets Cams,
    Nice one for working out how to chest mount the Contour, but I have a problem as I only have an older model of Contour HD and was wondering how to go about mounting it using your system. Seeing as the lens will not rotate when the camera is upside down (As it is in your system)
    Is there a workaround for these older models of Contour?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by krissboo View Post
    Launch Helmets Cams,...Seeing as the lens will not rotate when the camera is upside down (As it is in your system)
    Is there a workaround for these older models of Contour?
    The camera they showed in their video is the ContourGPS which won't go upside-down mounting / right-side up video either, only the Contour+ and the ROAM are made to rotate 270 allowing upside-down camera mounting with right-side up video.

They must be flipping the video in post.

BTW, the ROAM would be a better choice for this as it would be even closer to the chest since it has a built in tripod socket and does not need the Universal mount. That is if you acn live with the limitations of the ROAM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast