mtbr member

Contour Flex Strap mount question

Just picked up this mount and, according to the Contour site, the box is supposed to have the rotating helmet attachment, a short strap and a long strap. Mine also has a belt clip looking thing. Anyone else have this in their box and/or know what, if any, function it's supposed to have with this mount? Thanks.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Just picked up this mount and, according to the Contour site, the box is supposed to have the rotating helmet attachment, a short strap and a long strap. Mine also has a belt clip looking thing. Anyone else have this in their box and/or know what, if any, function it's supposed to have with this mount? Thanks.
    Yes, and the instructions show how to use it to contain the loose end of the strap.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It is used to secure the unused length of the strap and its usage is described in the manual.

I've never felt the need for it though.

mtbr member
    Ahhh, that would be the manual stuck to the inside top side of the box I just found!

Thanks!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Picked up the same mount and mounted my ROAM to my handlebars. The camera slid out of the mount while on the trail. Anyone else have an issue the this mount?
    -boom

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    The Roam is a rather annoying cam I found out on my test ride. Now the slide switch is WAAAAAAY to easy to operate, inadvertantly start cam while fiddling with mounting position on bike.

The safety leash is still like on other Contours---so weak it serves no purpose.

And yes the cam really does not "lock" onto the rails. The detent is like the leash--it's supposed to serve a purpose but fails.

Also the problem with voice sound--- the firmware upgrade does not fix it.

Still I prefer the style of a contour over that of a gopro.

mtbr member
    Not a bad camera for the $89 I paid for it. However, I need to work on securing it better during the ride. It took a rather nasty fall yesterday, but didn't miss a beat. Didn't even turn off!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    The Roam is a rather annoying cam I found out on my test ride. Now the slide switch is WAAAAAAY to easy to operate, inadvertantly start cam while fiddling with mounting position on bike.

The safety leash is still like on other Contours---so weak it serves no purpose.

And yes the cam really does not "lock" onto the rails. The detent is like the leash--it's supposed to serve a purpose but fails.

Also the problem with voice sound--- the firmware upgrade does not fix it.

Still I prefer the style of a contour over that of a gopro.
    I much prefer the slider switch on the Roam to that of the HD. The later is difficult to move and half the time I open the back cover while doing it.

No issues with the Roam.

I have moved the Contours on the mounts. Not lost one yet.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    You must have not slammed the cam while riding full force into a branch. The "snag" will pull the knot on the tether right through the hole in the female plastic part. That said, I haven't "lost" a camera yet, but in about a dozen or so rides, I have had to retrieve the camera off the trail at least 3 times.

The slide switch was difficult to move on the HD when new. I've found mine has loosened up just right but an accidental swipe or brush won't slide it like it will on the Roam.

The Roam and Contours in general are nice cams with many flaws, but then again I guess every brand has its flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I much prefer the slider switch on the Roam to that of the HD. The later is difficult to move and half the time I open the back cover while doing it.

No issues with the Roam.

I have moved the Contours on the mounts. Not lost one yet.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    So yesterday's 2d ride with the Roam was even much worse then the 1st. The flex strap is not all that ... at all.

I tried it on the chain stay and the seat post, it would not stay in place.

I finally put it on the down tube with the cam aimed down and forward hoping to get some fork action. It kept sliding off the rails. Luckily in this low no impact scenario the leash (thether) worked. I wonder if it matters which way the disc is rotated. I was on a fairly rock laden trail...I will have to look later but suffcient to say so far I haven't found ANY decent mounting solutions with the flex strap.

mtbr member
    I think you might want to contact Contour. My Roam's mounting rails are very snug and take a decent amount of force to get onto and off both the helmet mount and the flex strap mount.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I think the RAM mount looks promising and likely to provide at least a few good mounting options.

Helmetless Crasher
    I have used the flex strap w/ my Roam numerous times now. Never had an issue with cam coming out, cam moving, leash braking, slider switch being too EZ, etc.

Flex mounted on my Lefty fork, handlebar, seat post, and top tube so far.
    Works great! Zero issues other than low audio which continues even after the firmware update.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Similar issue…

The rails seemed nice and snug when I put it on. Mounted the strap on my fork but forgot to “lock” in position…(obviously my fault!) The camera waited till I got up to about 30mph on a nice down hill fire road and then rotated (since it wasn’t locked)…

Thought I better eventually stop and re-adjust. I got down to ~20mph and the camera slid out of the mount and hit the ground! Arg…

Made for a nice opening to my video though (@ 0:13)!

Nicole and Dad on Ridge Trail - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Zero issues other than low audio which continues even after the firmware update.
    Buy an external mic for it. I use an old in car hands free phone mic hot glued to the side of the camera and facing rearwards to cut down the wind noise... works great. The Contour audio issues only relate to the internal mic.