Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cdouble
    Jul 2007

Contour Experience

My ContourGPS camera rocks but recently I had an issue with an accessory. I tee'd it up on their online forum (looking for advice on how to fix) and within hours they had dropped a replacement in the mail to me. No muss, no fuss. Great product supported by great service. Win.
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    Greg LeMond

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Some of the accessories are cr%p and it wont matter how many are sent out--- to wit, the vented helmet mount. But there are good after market mounts for the contour and I do prefer it over the gopro.

mtbr member
    What does it have over the GoPro besides great customer service? This is just a question, not an attack. I am curious about the Contour line....

Mikey

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyonthemadone View Post
    What does it have over the GoPro besides great customer service? This is just a question, not an attack. I am curious about the Contour line....

Mikey
    I like them both, but right now the contour older model is all over the web at right around $100 and I'm seeing it here and there for under that (though you add shipping and it ends up the same as those who have it higher but with free shipping)

What I like about it better than the Hero is it's much thinner profile... I have it mounted to the side of my helmet using the low profile mount (had to tie wrap it but it works really well actually) and I have a mount on the frame at the head tube-down-top tubes all met. the Hero would be sticking out...WAYYY out and I can see it getting wacked hard going down the trail. and mounting a Hero on top of your helmet? thing would be gone in one ride having it that tall above my skull.

I like the point I can rotate the lens so no matter where I mount it I can always straighten the image out with out having to jump through hoops with editing software (just got to remember to turn the lens, DUH!!)

I like the Hero's mounts included are much better, the contour's mount suck, plan and simple! but some tie wraps cure that pretty easy and cheap. The bungie cord mount Contour has IS WAY better than I thought!! A friend got it and it works well, of course it's the only one I didn't get

Video quality is damn close and there isn't anything really better about one or the other.

The contour comes with a memory card where the Hero doesn't, it's small, but there at least. but with either you'll probably want a much larger gig card.

About the only thing I can see that the hero does out right better is the chest mount,.. I really like that system and the view it has mounted there.

honestly either one is pretty nice and I can 100% guarantee you'll have fun with either. It's more a "what are you planing to do with it and where are you mounting it" choice
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    You reply is much appreciated....I have a Contour GPS coming in for our shop to try out...I will try and give my impressions as well.

Mikey

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    You reply is much appreciated....I have a Contour GPS coming in for our shop to try out...I will try and give my impressions as well.

Mikey
    link us up some vids in this thread so we can watch!!

I also did a quick review over on ECTRR.com about the Contour 1080HD if you want a tad more info on some of the ups and down.. also think they just did a review here on the Contour+..

Contour HD 1080 cam vids...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I will provide some video for sure....thanks for the link to some more reviews.....

Mikey

mtbr member
    I have to say my experience so far is making me want to sell this Contour GPS quickly and go back to my GoPro.
    I have tried the goggle mount and the flex strap mount and am not impressed with the shakiness and jiggling of the video compared to the GoPro. I have tried several different ways to tighten up both mounts pretty much without success. I can strap my GP directly on the stem aimed forward and get perfect video with no hassle and have been for two years. I am really wanting to do the same with this camera, but no joy so far.....suggestions?

Mike

mtbr member
    I have to say my experience so far is making me want to sell this Contour GPS quickly and go back to my GoPro.
    I have tried the goggle mount and the flex strap mount and am not impressed with the shakiness and jiggling of the video compared to the GoPro. I have tried several different ways to tighten up both mounts pretty much without success. I can strap my GP directly on the stem aimed forward and get perfect video with no hassle and have been for two years. I am really wanting to do the same with this camera, but no joy so far.....suggestions?

Mike
    Couple things you could try/change.
    First off, I'll admit that I have never used the goggle mount of the flex strap mount. IMHO, neither would be good for mounting biking as the elastic of the strap would cause a ton of shake. Probably why GP doesn't really have those types (except chesty)
    Second, I don't mind the xc vented lid although you run into the problem of the helmet shaking if it isn't really tight to head. I realized this after taking it out on this video: Palmer Park v4 on Vimeo It wasn't the camera in the mount that was shaking it was the whole helmet. I swapped to another XC lid that has a backstrap with a dial and I think the quality will be better once I give it a shot. (I will say I am disappointed that the XC vented lid mount isn't included in the original purchase-but of course I would say the same thing about the waterproof case if I was a surfer).
    I ran (almost) the same route as above here: Palmer Park v5 on Vimeo but this was with an FF lid and XtremeVu mount. You can see it is much more stable due to, IMHO, both the FF and the mount.
    As for other mounting options, with ram mounts and the universal mount, you can do everything the GPs/Drifts can do. Well, I should say the GP design does work better with chesty than the contour but you can make that work.
    I will finish with I think contour has tightened up their tolerances with their mounts as when I use the universal or XC lid it is a handful to get in/out. I will say I think GPs mounts would be tighter but I just can't get over the boxy design. I also like the 135 FOV but I guess Contour has moved away from that with the plus version.
    hope that helps. If not, I'll buy yours off of you for a $1

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

which cam?

I'm shopping for a cam for my wife who rides bikes, XC skis, and stand-up paddles. It seems that GoPro is the most popular but neither of us likes the boxy design or the top-of-helmet mount that just looks scary. The Contour and Drift designs look like they make more sense, and I like the screen on the Drift even more.

Do you guys miss the play-back screen on your Contour and GP cams? It just seems like I would want that for setting up the angle/shot etc. Am I making too big a deal about it?

Anyway thanks for your posts so far regarding Contour mounts and GP stuff and I look forward to hearing your input regarding my questions. Sorry if this has been asked a million times but I'm a cam newby and X-Mas is here!

Thanks again,

Pat

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin View Post
    I'm shopping for a cam for my wife who rides bikes, XC skis, and stand-up paddles. It seems that GoPro is the most popular but neither of us likes the boxy design or the top-of-helmet mount that just looks scary. The Contour and Drift designs look like they make more sense, and I like the screen on the Drift even more.

Do you guys miss the play-back screen on your Contour and GP cams? It just seems like I would want that for setting up the angle/shot etc. Am I making too big a deal about it?

Anyway thanks for your posts so far regarding Contour mounts and GP stuff and I look forward to hearing your input regarding my questions. Sorry if this has been asked a million times but I'm a cam newby and X-Mas is here!

Thanks again,

Pat
    if you get one of the newer models they link to your smart phone... kinda mutes the whole screen thing.(as long as you have a smart phone that is) I got to say I like most of the features of the Drift better, but... I still see that the images are much clearer on the contour and the Drift isn't as good in lower light areas. I've used the contour in reasonably dark lighting and though it's a bit grainy at least you get a picture enough where I can enhance it to a reasonable vid in software. the Drift just basically was black.. It was the older model Drift soooo.. I still think even in the demo's they show the drift looks out of focus to me.

mtbr member
    I have been playing with a GPS version....it's not really my thing. PM me if you are interested in it. I got it with a connect view chip for smart phones, the flex strap mount and a spare battery.

Mikey

mtbr member
    I'm planning on trying out the goggle mount mounted to the shoulder strap of my camelback. Seems like it would be a better POV, and I won't have to cinch the helmet down on my head so hard that it leaves a mark.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    I'm planning on trying out the goggle mount mounted to the shoulder strap of my camelback. Seems like it would be a better POV, and I won't have to cinch the helmet down on my head so hard that it leaves a mark.
    ya, I tried that..it seemed to work well just walking around the house. Was WAY more stable than I thought it would be. Have a shoulder injury that I'm trying to let heal so i sent the Cam off to my bro to let him play and keep me from going out and doing stuff cause "I need to know" Will have to wait till after X-mas/New Yr before I can give it a trail try

you will have to mount it kinda on your back more than your shoulder though.. I sit kinda upright and noticed it was still shooting down at the floor when sitting on the bike...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    ya, I tried that..it seemed to work well just walking around the house. Was WAY more stable than I thought it would be. Have a shoulder injury that I'm trying to let heal so i sent the Cam off to my bro to let him play and keep me from going out and doing stuff cause "I need to know" Will have to wait till after X-mas/New Yr before I can give it a trail try

you will have to mount it kinda on your back more than your shoulder though.. I sit kinda upright and noticed it was still shooting down at the floor when sitting on the bike...
    I was going to zip-tie it on so I can just slide if fore/aft to get the lasers lined up where I want them. I'll post the results once I get a chance to try it.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    I was going to zip-tie it on so I can just slide if fore/aft to get the lasers lined up where I want them. I'll post the results once I get a chance to try it.
    yup.. just what I did.. i actually used 3 top and bottom so I could reach at least one of the ends without taking it off...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I mounted my gps version on my ski helmet and with the lasers going felt like I was a predator.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by mainlane View Post
    I mounted my gps version on my ski helmet and with the lasers going felt like I was a predator.
    ya,.. it's kinda fun isn't it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have been using a contour for about two weeks. I still need to play with and fine tune my mounting options. But what I find helps is a strip of good old duct tape. Low teck and solid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I gotta semi hot tip.

I came across this on the web and tested it last night.

Nokia BL-5C batteries are compatible with the contour GPS, and prob the other models also.

I had one sitting around my house in an old flip phone. Charged it up and it looks like it works, but I dont know about the capacity.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    And heres my first test video - pretty raw and no music.

720p@60 FPS, High Quality, Default exposure settings.

Exported to 30FPS before uploading to youtube/vimeo.

Theres about a 10% increase in file sizes when shooting at 60FPS compared to 30FPS for the raw contour .MOV file.

I mounted the cam to the seat tube with the goggle mount.

I cut up an old tube and used that to mount it, than used zip ties to secure it tightly. Also used the tube as shims to stop the camera from wiggling. I needed two shims in addition to the first stretched tube across the mount

EDIT - Heres the same video uploaded to Vimeo

contour test2 from d blank on Vimeo.

Last edited by mainlane; 12-26-2011 at 08:21 AM.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    what's that knocking noise? sounds like something is wackin the actual cam...?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thats my hub engaging - WTB laserdisc lite.

banned
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mainlane View Post
    And heres my first test video - pretty raw and no music.

720p@60 FPS, High Quality, Default exposure settings.

Exported to 30FPS before uploading to youtube/vimeo.

Theres about a 10% increase in file sizes when shooting at 60FPS compared to 30FPS for the raw contour .MOV file.
    That is very interesting. Even accounting for compression, capturing twice as many frames typically equal much moire that a 10% increase in file size.

The info that is available online also indicates that the data rate/bitrate difference between 30fps and 60fps is much greater than 10%.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Im not at home, but I had compared 2 clips approx 2 min long.

30FPS was ~160MB, and the 60FPS was ~180MB. I guess thats closer to 12-13%.

Ill double check when I get home in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub_lime View Post
    That is very interesting. Even accounting for compression, capturing twice as many frames typically equal much moire that a 10% increase in file size.

The info that is available online also indicates that the data rate/bitrate difference between 30fps and 60fps is much greater than 10%.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast