mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Contour +2 recording in MOV format

Hi, does anybody know what format the Contour +2 is supposed to record to? I've read a lot of conflicting information all over the web. Apparently with the Roam 2 you can change back and forth between Mp4 or MOV. What is your Contour +2 recording to, anybody?

mtbr member
    My ROAM recorded in .mov format. After I upgraded to the ROAM2 software, it records in .mp4 format. I don't think you can switch between the formats, though.

According to the +2 manual, it records in .mov. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z2xc88w7a3hm3l1/V_fg3zDQdw
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    you realize they are basically the same right? MP4 is based on MOV and is just a setup that makes playing on older PC's easier... pretty much anything over windows XP can play MOV files just as well as MP4.. really the only big diff is MP4 can down scale faster for mobile screens.. (OK, there's more to it than that but that's all that matters to us the end user)
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the info, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any settings. It's weird though, when I play an MOV with QuickTime it stutters like crazy. Play the same file in Media player and it looks great.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Guessing you're on a PC not a Mac. Just use the media player
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yup, PC. Media player it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake J View Post
    Thanks for the info, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any settings. It's weird though, when I play an MOV with QuickTime it stutters like crazy. Play the same file in Media player and it looks great.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Weird. .mov is the Quicktime mp4 wrapper, so should play better on QT.

When I played .mov files in my Windows Media player, it put a stupid logo in the player for the company that provided the codecs to convert the .mov wrapper. I had to download a free codec pack and override the settings to get rid of that stupid thing.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    My ROAM recorded in .mov format. After I upgraded to the ROAM2 software, it records in .mp4 format. I don't think you can switch between the formats, though.

According to the +2 manual, it records in .mov. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z2xc88w7a3hm3l1/V_fg3zDQdw
    With the .mov extension the files would not import to iMovie. You needed to manually change it to .mp4. The roam 2 firmware just changed the default file extension.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    With the .mov extension the files would not import to iMovie. You needed to manually change it to .mp4. The roam 2 firmware just changed the default file extension.
    what version iMovie? I never had or have an issue with .mov files in any iMovie version thou not really using the latest as it's crappy and unstable (the newest is a purple star) I'm still using 9.0.9 (Ilife version 11 i believe)

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Weird. .mov is the Quicktime mp4 wrapper, so should play better on QT.

When I played .mov files in my Windows Media player, it put a stupid logo in the player for the company that provided the codecs to convert the .mov wrapper. I had to download a free codec pack and override the settings to get rid of that stupid thing.
    I don't know all the details on it,.. but from what I gather the MP4 format allows for faster/lower rez draw under the h.293 or what ever the latest compression format is which was designed for smaller screens (iPhones and things like a PSP) which draws on the video card less... It also allows for close to instant play back with lower quality and increases as download/input speed ups..
    Most people (Mac or PC) that has stutter play back with MOV files have a smaller Graphic Card on the computer or uses a shared processor video draw which uses the main memory and processor for both running the computer and drawing on screen..

Don't quote me on all this as it's just a very general outline of what I got from all the chatter a few yrs ago when MP4 came out with iTunes

what version iMovie? I never had or have an issue with .mov files in any iMovie version thou not really using the latest as it's crappy and unstable (the newest is a purple star) I'm still using 9.0.9 (Ilife version 11 i believe)
    The previous version. 11 will not run on my OS.
    And it was only the Roam .mov files. I can import .mov recorded on my Canon cameras. Think I could with the Contour HD, too.

Contour knew it was a problem with the Roam (1) and the official workaround was changing the extension.
    mtbtires.com

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    The previous version. 11 will not run on my OS.
    What OS are you using? I'm on Maverick and it runs fine, actually better than it did before...

if you are running Lion or Mtn Lion spend the 20 bucks and upgrade.. both were POS dogs for a mac OS but maverick really did fix 90% of the issues Apple introduced trying to integrate the IOS crap.

And it was only the Roam .mov files. I can import .mov recorded on my Canon cameras. Think I could with the Contour HD, too.

Contour knew it was a problem with the Roam (1) and the official workaround was changing the extension.
    Hmmm never had a roam1 just the HD1080 which did MOV files and now a roam 2 which does the MP4.. kinda prefer the MOV just cause you don't need the stupid THM file along side it clutter up everything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake J View Post
    What OS are you using? I'm on Maverick and it runs fine, actually better than it did before...

if you are running Lion or Mtn Lion spend the 20 bucks and upgrade.. both were POS dogs for a mac OS but maverick really did fix 90% of the issues Apple introduced trying to integrate the IOS crap.

Hmmm never had a roam1 just the HD1080 which did MOV files and now a roam 2 which does the MP4.. kinda prefer the MOV just cause you don't need the stupid THM file along side it clutter up everything
    You don't need the THM files in any format; they're just thumbnails. I never bother to transfer them over or use them at all.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    You don't need the THM files in any format; they're just thumbnails. I never bother to transfer them over or use them at all.
    Ya I know but it's a pain pulling every other file. Was much easier just grabbing the whole folder and dragging it to the drive which was my point

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I always wondered what the THM file was for. Obviously not important since I've been just deleting the files.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will not run on my laptop.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Ya I know but it's a pain pulling every other file. Was much easier just grabbing the whole folder and dragging it to the drive which was my point
    Sort by: Type. Grab .mov files and move. Ignore .thm files no longer interspaced.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Sort by: Type. Grab .mov files and move. Ignore .thm files no longer interspaced.
    This is what I do.
    mtbtires.com