banned
    Jun 2013

Contour = toast?

Contour closes Seattle HQ, shocks employees ? execs mum on status of GoPro rival - GeekWire

Poorly executed marketing + failure to compete in the spec wars could explain it.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Re: Contour = toast?

Bummer, they are great cameras.
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Wow, sorry to hear that.

psycho cyclo addict
    Major bummer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Truly sucks. I like the shape so much better than the GoPro. Recently bought a Contour 1, updated to a 2 with the firmware. Video looks as good as a buddies GoPro. When it's time to replace my Contour, may have to look into the Drift cameras.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paradigm shifter View Post
    Contour closes Seattle HQ, shocks employees ? execs mum on status of GoPro rival - GeekWire

Poorly executed marketing + failure to compete in the spec wars could explain it.
    I don't think it was the spec. No one - well, maybe pros - was really drooling over or falling for the 2.7K or 4K since we have no way to view those, not to mention the battery life and storage requirements of that resolution.

I think Contour completely fell down on the marketing job. I'm not a marketer, but even a "layman" can see a "tele-tubbies" campaign would get Contour some good visibility! The Contour form factor is WAY better than the GoPro's. I saw absolutely nothing, anywhere comparing the versatility of the Contour to the fixed GoPro mount options.

I hope they get some VC to get operations going again.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

banned
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    I don't think it was the spec. No one - well, maybe pros - was really drooling over or falling for the 2.7K or 4K since we have no way to view those,
    I was not referring to 2k or 4k (although shooting 30fps in 2k gives you a really nice amount of quality footage to crop out 1080p of goodness and the battery and storage requirement argument is hooey).

I was referring to MBPS. Contour cannot compete in image quality given its much smaller chip and, most importantly, it's limited capture rate. There's a significant advantage to shooting at higher MBPS with no in-camera sharpening or noise reduction and a flat profile (inc. raw WB).

I think a teletubbies campaign would be great. People who shoot helmetcam video with a gopro on top of their head just don't understand the best way to capture that POV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paradigm shifter View Post
    I was not referring to 2k or 4k (although shooting 30fps in 2k gives you a really nice amount of quality footage to crop out 1080p of goodness and the battery and storage requirement argument is hooey).

I was referring to MBPS. Contour cannot compete in image quality given its much smaller chip and, most importantly, it's limited capture rate. There's a significant advantage to shooting at higher MBPS with no in-camera sharpening or noise reduction and a flat profile (inc. raw WB).

I think a teletubbies campaign would be great. People who shoot helmetcam video with a gopro on top of their head just don't understand the best way to capture that POV.
    Maybe, but to be honest - and as objective as I can here - I can't tell much of a difference on YouTube at 1080 or 720 between Contour, GoPro, Drift (HD or Ghost) videos. They're all pretty darn good for what they are and how we use them.

No doubt GoPro has the best sensor, but in the end for how we use and show the videos, the venues we have available now equalize that and, essentially, remove the GoPro sensor advantage. That's why I think the form factor is the deciding factor on which is best for active use.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

banned
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    No doubt GoPro has the best sensor, but in the end for how we use and show the videos, the venues we have available now equalize that and, essentially, remove the GoPro sensor advantage.
    That's the thing. It's not just how "we" (MTBRs) use and show videos, it's all of the other applications out there as well. In addition to not adequately penetrating the MTB market, there are many other markets out there where Contour has had practically no presence (aerial video/photography and underwater video to name a few).