mtbr member

New question here. Choices, Choices, Choices... Could you help me find the right one?

I am looking into buying a POV camera. Go Pros are the obvious choice, but I have found that there are other competitors that are cheaper and may still be in the same class. An example would be Garmins POV lineup. There are other alternatives out there, does anyone know of another set of POV's that are of high enough quality to compete with go pros? What do you recommend? After the choices are layed out I would like to make a decision. I know that I am asking a lot but any amount of help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    Well, have you read the sticky "Shootout" thread at the top of this forum?

That'll give you some good info, generate some better questions and maybe narrow down your choices.

From my perspective, even though they're kaput, the Contour Roam offers the best bang for the buck right now. You can find them for $100-130ish right now and you can upgrade (for free) to the ROAM2 software. Amazon has the ROAM (with surfboard kit) right now for $114. That makes the camera alone about $65, figuring the waterproof housing is ~$30 and the mount is another $20ish!

Sure, you can buy the GoPro Black+ and get 4K video, but where are you going to show that? YouTube limits everything to 1080p max, which most of these things will do pretty well.

I prefer the Contours because you can mount them at any angle and just rotate the lens to upright. Much more versatile. The Drift cameras do this, too, so they would be my second choice (or first, if buying a product from a closed company scares you off). As an example, I just got the chance to ride a new bike last weekend (Borealis Yampa) and wanted to take some video of the ride. I mounted the camera on the for top, which is at a 45* angle to the ground. Strapped on the camera, activated the laser level and rotated the lens to the proper angle and off I went, shooting perfectly upright video. Can't do that easily with GP.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    This is exactly what I was looking for thanks I will defiantly look into that!
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I got my ContourGPS almost 2 years ago and I'm really happy with it. It's waterproof by itself, have ridden it in the rain many times. A few times; I was using it in the rain for a few hours - testing some lights. You'll only need the waterproof housing if maybe you're going snorkeling or surfing; scenarios where the cam might go underwater. The bullet shape makes it east to mount almost anywhere. I've mounted mine on the handlebars, helmet, fork, head tube, rear triangle, etc.

NEW YORK CITY IN DUST - YouTube

SET F1RE TO THE RA1N - YouTube

mtbr member
    Great infromation I really appricate it!
    -Thoreau