Moose Member

canon powershot sx40 hs

So I'm looking into getting one of these for Christmas, but have a few questions I was hoping you guts could answer. You don't need to have this camera to answer all the questions..,

It shoots in 1080 and 720 at 30fos. Cool. It will make slomo look kinda bad. It does however shoot in 480x640 in 120 fps... Wow...

If I do and hd video (I usually shoot in 720, easier on my old computer and I like the angle on my gopro) will it look okay if I throw in some 480x640 120fps shots? Or will the quality look way to crappy and ruin the flow of the video? Should i look for a camera that shoots 720 in 60fps for slomo?

If anyone has the camera, can you tell me how well it focuses on pans and slow zooms while recording? I want to start doing shots where I'll slow zoom out while a rider is approaching me, then pan as they hit a berm. Will it handle these shots okay?

For the price of the camera you can't beat it, so I'm just trying to make sure it's s good deal, and not a cheap-ish product macerating as a awesome product at a low price.

Thanks for the help guys!

Up up and away!
    The gopro HD shoot 720 at 60fps and on ebay for $150. Something to consider if all you are getting the sx40 for mtb.

mtbr member
    Pretty sure he has a gopro (of course there was no way for you to know that unless you have seen some of his vids), but more importantly, the gopro does not allow the zoom in and out feature he is looking for.

Moosey, I don't really have an answer as I'm curious of the same thing (mixing HD and SD). I did a few test clips with my gopro, a clip at 720/60fps and WVGA 480/30fps but have yet to render the clip to see the results. Will try to do so this weekend.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    Hey Moosey,
    I did a little digging and I think I found a camera that'll do as you wish at the res and frame rate you are wanting.

The Kodak Zi8
    Shoots 720 @ 60fps and can zoom while recording.

Never used one, just read about them. Do. Search on YouTube and you'll find some video from them. Look good to me.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    moosey,,,, i know this is going a little bit off topic here,,,,, not sure what your budget is, or if your budget will allow, but have you looked into, or considerd a digital slr, for shooting your vids, you can achieve great results with a good slr, hence why most of the pro's are shooting vids with them,

as for your original question, the quality of the lower resolution is obviously gonna look crap against the other hd footage but it will be watchable all the same,
    another thing to bare in mind is will your software allow for 60fps or 120fps, as far as i am aware most only recognise 30fps. usually the more expenisive profesional softwares that recognise 60fps

Moose Member
    Woah, thought this thread was dead. Thanks for the replies.

I have a gopro, but it seems like my image isn't very clear anymore. Everything seems fuzzy. I'll upload some raw footy soon.

I'm getting Vegas 10 pro. It's the top of the line Vegas, so I'll see if it runs 120fps.

I'm also into Photography, so the camera is important as well.

I guess I just want a camera that I can see where I'm looking (no screen on gopro) and has sharper image. My budget is about $500, but if I spend less I can get bike parts , but camera quality comes first.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    It shoots in 1080 and 720 at 30fos. Cool.
    I read it shoots 1080p at 24fps and 720 at 30fps

will it look okay if I throw in some 480x640 120fps shots?
    If you do a PIP it should look ok - but if you resize it to 720p or 1080p it will look pixelated.

If anyone has the camera, can you tell me how well it focuses on pans and slow zooms while recording
    I just bought the Panasonic Fz150 (was also checking the canon) because reviews gave it best auto focus speed for stills and video. Its a superzoom camera as well. Shoots video at 1080p 60fps for the NTSC model or 50fps PAL. Price is roughly the same.

Best you can do to find out whats best for you is read reviews - Here's one where both cameras are reviewed:
    Panasonic FZ150 vs HX100V vs SX40 HS vs FZ47 / FZ48 | Cameralabs

Search Vimeo and download original videos (not edited ones) - that will give you a good idea of the quality, focus reactions and whether your computer can playback the files stutter free.

For editing, if you have an oldish computer you'll need to convert the files first(I use Neoscene). But if you use 1080p @ 60fps I doubt you'll enjoy editing even if you do.

And I'm very happy with the FZ150!
    Last edited by luap; 12-05-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luap View Post
    I read it shoots 1080p at 24fps and 720 at 30fps

If you do a PIP it should look ok - but if you resize it to 720p or 1080p it will look pixelated.
    Ahh, 24 fps is no big deal, i mostly shoot in 720 anyway.

and i would shoot almost everything in 720, but throw in maybe 1 or 2 480 120fps shots of a big jump or sick whip...

Quote Originally Posted by luap View Post
    For editing, if you have an oldish computer you'll need to convert the files first(I use Neoscene). But if you use 1080p @ 60fps I doubt you'll enjoy editing even if you do.

And I'm very happy with the FZ150!
    hmm, i do have an oldish computer, but thats okay. Im getting a new laptop when i go to college in a few months, so it should be more powerful (video editing power will be a factor in what laptop i decide on...)

why will i have no fun editing 1080 at 60fps? Im used to slow computers. I get over it. (or will it be hours of slowness?)

thanks for the website. Really looking into the FZ150.

No, that's not phonetic
    I have the FZ100, the predecessor to the new 150, and it takes fantastic video. I shot everything this fall at 1080p and was very happy with the results. Nice colors, sharp, zoom works smoothly, and I was shocked how well the stero mics picked up sounds. The only knock I can think of is that it can hunt for focus a little when you are at the tele end of the zoom for no real apparent reason. I was filming whales and bears this August and the vid image would briefly go slightly soft sometimes even in contrasty conditions. That said, I'd buy one again in a heartbeat, and a friend of mine picked up the 150 and is practically swooning over it.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.