mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Camera Longevity

Was wondering what the average length of time the Go Pro cameras last? I understand if its damaged in a crash, etc, that shortens its life span, but in general how long do these things last?

Thanks

Airborne Flight Crew
    My first GoPro Hero bit the dust after two years of faithful service. It fell off the bike several times and took some nasty tumbles, frankly, I'm impressed it lasted so long. It actually still turns on, just wont respond when you go to film.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    my go pro lasted about 6 weeks before it crapped out on me, hence my switch to contour, and never looked back. both contours still going strong 3 years on.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Bought a GoPro Hero HD early 2010 and it is still going strong.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Great. I assume alot of this is how you treat your equipment!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    Great. I assume alot of this is how you treat your equipment!
    Every camera owner's experience may differ of course. Sometimes you just get one that doesn't live long, sometimes you get one that lasts forever it feels like. I imagine getting the gopro body wet or dropping it on the concrete without the shell on would not do well for it's longevity.

I have dropped P&S cameras on the asphalt a few times, luckily still ticking. I had a Kodak that just died all of the sudden with no warning or damage.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.