mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Big drop gone wrong

Rotorua New Zealand on Billy T trail.
    Why when I do this drop I have no problem..until I try to video going over it.
    Its difficult to tell from the video, but that was a 8 ft vertical drop leading down into another 20ft. I think I freaked myself out because I had the video camera and went too slowly and rode down it! instead of jumping the first part, which is what I normally do. Glad to say that even at my age, I bounce pretty well and didn't break anything.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Where's the drop? That was a roller.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    Where's the drop? That was a roller.
    Exactly, that's why I went over the handlebars. Like I said it is a drop of 8 ft then runs out. If you stop the video at the top of the jump you can see its vertical for the first section. I freaked myself out with the camera and thought Id be better going slower, but went so slow I didn't launch off the top and must have rolled vertically down the face and that of course is a no no and sent me over the handlebars.

mtbr member
    Where did you get hurt?

Knee and elbow guards on?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    Where did you get hurt?

Knee and elbow guards on?

This is more a xcountry course than downhill. I'm on a xcountry bike with no gear other than helmet. From what I can tell I put my hands out and one wrist is really sore, and some ligaments in my back and chest are pulled, shoulder is sore too. Not so good when I have an xterra race coming up this weekend!

I met a paramedic and local bike mechanic the other day that said I was lucky, they usually are going to the hospital when they mess up on this drop.

mtbr member
    Thats sucks. You might have to skip out on your race so you can recover and not make anything worse.

I've had the worst injuries happen on the smoothest and easiest trails. Accidents happen anytime, anywhere and everywhere.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    Thats sucks. You might have to skip out on your race so you can recover and not make anything worse.

I've had the worst injuries happen on the smoothest and easiest trails. Accidents happen anytime, anywhere and everywhere.

I did wonder about skipping the race when I woke this morning and everything really hurt. But I have to attempt it. I came all the way to New Zealand 3 years ago to do this race. Cannondale screwed me by not shipping a new bike Id ordered from the states. A local guy lent me his bike to do the race on, but I broke a ring out of the sprocket and it made for not such a good bike section. Last year I bailed when the weather turned freezing and I only have a shorty wetsuit. SO this year I really have to do it. I traveled all the way over from India to get here and do this damn race, and so do it I must. I'm kind of writing this, so it in part makes me have to do it even more, cause now I've announced it!

mtbr member
    No offense but that was kinda weak, I know accidents happen but that drop wasn't vertical what so ever. I have a similar roller on one of my local trails and can say that the only way your going to wipe out is if you are to far forward or off camber coming into it. I'm not sure about your bike but the way your dressed I'm guessing your xc rig has narrow bars which can lead to a twitchy handling bike on this kinda terrain. Anyways hope your better and keep it upright!
    The snozberries taste like snozberries!

boing
    Jan 2010
    I guess that's what XC guys call a "big drop".

I had to edit my post (to include the word big) after I noticed the thread's title.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Habits76
    No offense but that was kinda weak, I know accidents happen but that drop wasn't vertical what so ever. I have a similar roller on one of my local trails and can say that the only way your going to wipe out is if you are to far forward or off camber coming into it. I'm not sure about your bike but the way your dressed I'm guessing your xc rig has narrow bars which can lead to a twitchy handling bike on this kinda terrain. Anyways hope your better and keep it upright!
    And of course you've been there so you know exactly what it looks like to make that statement. I agree the video makes it look lame. I'm really disappointed with how it turned out. I hope to be up there again in a few days and I'll get a side on picture and maybe try and catch others jumping it to show it better.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    "Big drop"

What was in the video was not a "big drop". It's not even relative. It wasn't a "big drop". I watched it like 5 times trying to figure out if I missed something during buffering, but there was simply nothing there. It was a roller you took wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerdodger
    And of course you've been there so you know exactly what it looks like to make that statement. I agree the video makes it look lame. I'm really disappointed with how it turned out. I hope to be up there again in a few days and I'll get a side on picture and maybe try and catch others jumping it to show it better.

You might be right, things on head cam videos don't always look like they do in person but when you title your thread big drop gone wrong and then I see what looks like a roll in to flat your prolly gonna get some flack. Of course I have never ridden their but like I said before I have similar rollers on my local trails and it looked like you were just in the wrong position when you entered the roll in. Its all good man, wipe outs happen so don't take it too serious when I give you a some crap, just your thread title description seems a little extreme for what I seen. Good Day!

I might be going ridig today and I'll try an post up some vid from a similar roller and some drops.
    The snozberries taste like snozberries!