Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Best Video Editing Software - Feedback

Hi All,

I have a Drift HD and I've been making some HD vids of my riding group...about 10-15 so far each from 3-8 minutes in length...so nothing crazy. Just short web vids but in HD.

Shooting the vids is great on the Drift (and I also use an HD Webbie for some as well). Editing has presented some challenges and I'd like to get some feedback from other videographers on this.

To start with I have a pretty nice PC...Win 7, 8GB Ram, Terra of HD etc. So, I don't believe my issues are with the PC.

Basically, I first invested in PowerDirector 9. It was awesome to see all the effects, transition, etc. But on my first vid I started running into issues. Locking up, not being able to find clips, and mostly...the complete failure to render the vid. And of course if I threw in any slow mo etc. it was even worse. I started poking around and others on Win 7 were having this issue with PowerDirector. I tried an uninstall, reinstall, no change. I asked for my money back and they fought me b/c it was past 30 days. I finally gave up. A wasted $100.

I also tried the AVS video editor suite. No luck. Rendered my HD vids choppy and granulated. I contacted their support. They said the format that my Drift records in was not the typical .MOV format and wasn't supported. So, strike two. A wasted $40.

So, I have gone back to using Windows Movie Maker and Windows Live Movie Maker. They work pretty flawlessly but once in awhile WLMM will lock up in rendering if I do too much with slow mo or transitions. So, this has been the best solution but neither of these are too flashy or have the effects or transitions the others have. Bummer. Still though, the best I've found and simple to use.

So now I'm shopping again. I'm looking at Adobe Premier elements. I hear Final Cut is the best but that's a bit $$$ for me.

So let me know your thoughts and experiences. Anyone else have bad experiences with PD or AVS? Anyone tried Adobe Premier, Final Cut, etc.? Any info would be much appreciated before I drop more $ on something else that won't work well with my HD vids.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Well, FInal Cut is better than Premier, but you'll need a mac to use it soooo kinda pricy. Premier or Avid Pinnacle will probably be the best without getting into high end price software... I think they both have 30 day demo setup so go give them a try...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Avid's stuff.... used to use it WAY back it was decent back then, no clue now but they have a free demo..

Avid | Avid Studio and Pinnacle Studio HD

Adobe Premier Elements is on sale right now for $50...(click on the "upgrade" and scroll it down to "full" and use the download option instead of the boxed...

Adobe Products
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

+1 for Premiere

I also use Adobe Premiere Elements 10. Yeah, download the trial version and see how it works. Not only does it need to work on your videos from your camera (I use the contour so I can't help you there)... but you have to be ok with the speed.

For example, I have a PC with an Intel 2.5Ghz Duo CPU, lots of memory and fast disk. I have been happy with the computer till I started editing video! My last video took roughly 45 minutes to render... make a few mistakes, render a few times more than anticipated and there goes half the day!

That said, I think the split screen, stabilization and other effects are what's pushing out my times. It was this (short) video that took so long to render: White Friday RIde - YouTube Not sure if other sw programs would be faster or not... but something to think about.

Moose Member
    I like Vegas. It's so much easier to use (in my opinion) than premier pro and powerdirector. I'm all about easy to use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I use adobe premiere pro cs5, which i find very easy to use, i like how it imports gopro hd videos without converting and has vimeo hd presets for exporting. most of the videos i've made have taken me less than an hour to put together.

I have previously used vegas and found it awkward, probably as i've had to convert the video before importing it.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks All. I think I'm going to try Premier...mostly because my wife will use the Elements part for her photography (You can get Premier Elements as a bundled package.) I'm also going to call them because the reviews I read said it has a 64bit version and my PC is 64 bit...but in their dropdown shopping cart, they did not specify the bit version.

Anyway, it's worth a try and if it fails I always have Windows Live which I think actually works quite well. Not too fancy but easy and quick to use. I hear what you are saying about rendering times etc. As one of you said, I have found the more effects I add in the longer the render time and more potential issues. If I keep the vids "clean" they are quicker to do and render quicker as well.

My parting words would be for others to steer clear of PowerDirector. I am really upset with that company and their product and as I scanned the CNET reviews I found similar issues from other Win 7 users. It's flashy, but who cares if it locks up constantly and can't render videos.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Hey GL1, not sure if you saw it butAdobe has it on sale for 75 bucks for that pair bundles... it's funny cause the upgrade is 119 but the full purchase is only $75 LOLOLOl

mtbr member
    before you go badmouthing powerdirector... I have had 0 issues editing over 9-10 minute hd videos with multiple enhancements, fast forwarded clips, slowmo, etc... yes, it takes alone time to render about 3 hours for a 10 minute hd video, but I am also working off an old dell latitude with windows xp.
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    this is my latest video I made with powerdirector 9. yes, if you look it looks like we are driving in europe cuz I forgot to flip the screen left to right, cuz my brother didn't know I was recording upside down, so I had to flip it in programming....

kingdom trails trip 10-8-11 - YouTube
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    this is my latest video I made with powerdirector 9. yes, if you look it looks like we are driving in europe cuz I forgot to flip the screen left to right, cuz my brother didn't know I was recording upside down, so I had to flip it in programming....

kingdom trails trip 10-8-11 - YouTube
    Your vid is really well done and I like a lot of the effects you used.

The truth is that I actually agree that PowerDirector is a powerful tool but I am really unhappy with how they handled my situation. I tried EVERYTHING with them and was really patient. For whatever reason, it just wouldn't work on my PC. The rendering would get to like 20% and then just hang and hang and hang and I eventually had to kill it. And then the program itself would lock up all the time and I'd lose work I had done. And I haven't had these issues with Windows Live Movie Maker at all so I just don't know what the deal was. Anyway, after exhausting all my efforts I sort of expected the refund but they fought me on it. So I guess that's mostly what I'm upset about. I'm sure on different systems PD runs great and I hear it runs well on Macs.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Hey GL1, not sure if you saw it butAdobe has it on sale for 75 bucks for that pair bundles... it's funny cause the upgrade is 119 but the full purchase is only $75 LOLOLOl
    Yeah! Hey thanks man! Because of this I did end up ordering it yesterday before the deal expired. Great deal for $75...BOTH Elements and Premier. I'll have to let you know how it works. Thanks again!

Trail Tire TV on blogger

Quote Originally Posted by GL1 View Post
    Yeah! Hey thanks man! Because of this I did end up ordering it yesterday before the deal expired. Great deal for $75...BOTH Elements and Premier. I'll have to let you know how it works. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    I find powerdirector very easy to use, and after only a half a dozen edits, I can fully enhance video, etc.. and fully edit a 8-9 min video like the one I posted in about an hour or so, then the rendering takes forever. I am currently looking at newer laptops right now, with windows 7, i7 processors, 8 gigs of ram etc.. hoping my rendering times will be cut way down but I'm a little worried about powerdirector on windows 7 now....

What format were you editing in, an rendering to? Also, what's your operating system? Don't have any experience with the drift cameras or what format they shoot in, but the gopro H264 format loads right into powerdirector and I can edit in the current format and then render to whatever I want. Most of the other programs out there, aren't a 64 bit program, and PD9 got rave reviews when I bought.....
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I find powerdirector very easy to use, and after only a half a dozen edits, I can fully enhance video, etc.. and fully edit a 8-9 min video like the one I posted in about an hour or so, then the rendering takes forever. I am currently looking at newer laptops right now, with windows 7, i7 processors, 8 gigs of ram etc.. hoping my rendering times will be cut way down but I'm a little worried about powerdirector on windows 7 now....

What format were you editing in, an rendering to? Also, what's your operating system? Don't have any experience with the drift cameras or what format they shoot in, but the gopro H264 format loads right into powerdirector and I can edit in the current format and then render to whatever I want. Most of the other programs out there, aren't a 64 bit program, and PD9 got rave reviews when I bought.....

Yeah, I know. I bought it too based on the initial reviews of it as well and I really wanted the 64 bit option as well. If you check the CNET reviews of it now (since it's been out awhile) you will see a lot of people who have had issues with it on Win7. Not sure why...makes no sense. Others on Macs say it seems to run better on that platform.

My drift shoots .MOV files and that's what I was using in PD and then trying to render to HD 1080 quality .MOV or .WMA. I only was successful in rendering a few really short videos. Any over 5 min would get to like 20% and then hang and hang and hang there for hours. Since it would get "stuck" there at 20% I'd end up killing it. But moreover, when I was doing a lot of cutting and moving on the track board the entire program would lock up and if I hadn't saved recently I lost work.

So, everything I mentioned above would lead you to believe it might be a PC issue...too much for it to handle. But, I have an HP Pavillion optimized for multimedia. Dual core processor, 8GB Ram, 64 bit...the whole thing. I even took the PC into my local shop and had them check it out. Totally clean bill of health. And as I said before, Windows Live Movie Maker has worked pretty much flawlessly with the same film bits, HD 1080 and eveything. So I just don't know what the deal was with PD. I'm excited to try Premier and see how that goes.

But, I guess if you already have PD then I would give it a try on your new machine and maybe you won't have the issues.

One last thing...the .MOV files from the Drift may be part of the issue as I did have a tech guy tell me they are not as standard as other cameras shoot and that editors may have an issue with them. But again, WLMM hasn't.

PS, here's a link to a vid I made on WLMM on my PC that came out pretty good I think. I'm still learning though. 2011 0416 BOMB Winter Park Trestle on Vimeo

When you do try it on you new Win7 machine let me know how it goes...
    Last edited by GL1; 11-30-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Adding a link

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Actually .MOV is a standard, it's the longest oldest video format ever, was the very first computer movie file type.. just was Mac/Quicktime . It's become main stream since the introduction of the H.264 compression system as it handle it very well and gives the best video quality with reasonably high compression and really fast read-write. I think all the action cams now use it. I know contour does as well as the Drift,.. not sure with the Hero but most consumer camera's now that will record video use it also.. not all, but most.

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GL1 View Post
    Yeah, I know. I bought it too based on the initial reviews of it as well and I really wanted the 64 bit option as well. If you check the CNET reviews of it now (since it's been out awhile) you will see a lot of people who have had issues with it on Win7. Not sure why...makes no sense. Others on Macs say it seems to run better on that platform.

My drift shoots .MOV files and that's what I was using in PD and then trying to render to HD 1080 quality .MOV or .WMA. I only was successful in rendering a few really short videos. Any over 5 min would get to like 20% and then hang and hang and hang there for hours. Since it would get "stuck" there at 20% I'd end up killing it. But moreover, when I was doing a lot of cutting and moving on the track board the entire program would lock up and if I hadn't saved recently I lost work.

So, everything I mentioned above would lead you to believe it might be a PC issue...too much for it to handle. But, I have an HP Pavillion optimized for multimedia. Dual core processor, 8GB Ram, 64 bit...the whole thing. I even took the PC into my local shop and had them check it out. Totally clean bill of health. And as I said before, Windows Live Movie Maker has worked pretty much flawlessly with the same film bits, HD 1080 and eveything. So I just don't know what the deal was with PD. I'm excited to try Premier and see how that goes.

But, I guess if you already have PD then I would give it a try on your new machine and maybe you won't have the issues.

One last thing...the .MOV files from the Drift may be part of the issue as I did have a tech guy tell me they are not as standard as other cameras shoot and that editors may have an issue with them. But again, WLMM hasn't.

PS, here's a link to a vid I made on WLMM on my PC that came out pretty good I think. I'm still learning though. 2011 0416 BOMB Winter Park Trestle on Vimeo

When you do try it on you new Win7 machine let me know how it goes...
    Wow, that place looks awesome! are you using any image stabalizer? a couple parts looked a little shaky but over all nice... galations 2:20..
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Wow, that place looks awesome! are you using any image stabalizer? a couple parts looked a little shaky but over all nice... galations 2:20..
    Thanks Brother. No image stabilizer (though that was one feature I REALLY wanted to use with PD)...I've been impressed with the Drift that way and it has a little fisheye effect which I have come to like.

That vid is at Trestle Bike Park which is Winter Park Colorado's lift-served summer bike park. More helmet cam in that one than I like. I like a mix of helmet and standing shot stuff...different angles to break it up a bit. I rigged a pocket tripod with an extra Drift helmet mount so I can get some good still angles...set it up, pedal back up the trail...and then we all can hit the feature. I grab the cam, click it back on my head and keep rolling. Still though...that takes time and sometimes you just want to ride.

I'll bookmark your Vimeo page and keep tabs on your vids. Let me know how PD goes on your new Win7 machine. I hope it works out and no snags for you.

Oh and PS I dig the Mojo HD. It's a nice ride. If you are ever in CO PM me and we'll ride. Where are you located?
    Last edited by GL1; 11-30-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Forgot on thing...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Try Premiere. One of the easiest and most powerful tools

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I graduated from Movie Maker, to Premier Elements 8.0, and finally to Adobe Premier Pro/After Effects CS5. If you are willing to spend time mastering these tools, you won't need much else to edit videos. It is almost a guarantee that the skills you develop will carry forward to later versions as Adobe will be around for a long time.

mtbr member
    So I need to find somebody who knows the ins and outs of Premier Elements 10, Trying to figure out side by side and image stabilization. I know they are available but can't figure out how to work it

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRider View Post
    So I need to find somebody who knows the ins and outs of Premier Elements 10, Trying to figure out side by side and image stabilization. I know they are available but can't figure out how to work it
    I wouldn't bother with image stabilization, it always seem to make everything worse when it's applied to fast moving video, It basically tries to take an item and hold it still for a few frames, then it lets it move so you end up with even worse jumps..

try this for the side by side...?
    Mergeing 2 video files together to play side by side
    Last edited by thomllama; 12-29-2011 at 06:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Final cut pro all the way

banned
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Federline View Post
    Final cut pro all the way
    Why?

"PC...Win 7"

"Final Cut is the best but that's a bit $$$ for me."

Trail Ninja
    I use Vegas Pro mainly since it seems to be the one I can find the most beginner friendly literature on, for Windows/PC at least. Been adding on more and more effects for my vids, but my PC is really showing its age. The $400 I invested in upgrading the mobo and CPU and RAM a few years back seem to be not so great. Haven't been keeping up, since I don't play PC games much at all ever since I picked up mtn biking. 3GB RAM limit for 32 bit seems to be one of the bottlenecks, could use something more than dual core 2.4 GHz, and the new editors seem to make use of GPUs for encoding as well. No clue what all the new SSD stuff is either, but might look into that as well. All these code names are confusing, like SandForce SSDs and Sandy Bridge CPU... Nephalem comes to mind too, but that sounds like some older Intel CPU. My LianLi PC-60 case probably is outdated by now too, with the extra cooling and quietness afforded by newer cases.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast