mtbr member
    May 2006

Best point & shoot camera for POV ?

Hi everyone,

I bought a Contour ROAM last week and returned it after a day of testing. The colors were fade (easy fix in Lightroom), the video was blurry and shaky even with a super soft home-made mount with foam and a Class10 micro SDHC card.

After testing it along my Canon SX230 HS, I thought : I'll just buy another point & shoot camera (that does at leat 30p, the Canon is only 24p capable) and organize a Gopro chest mount to fit it.

The Sony HX9V/HX20V and the TX20 (waterproof, shock proof and dust proof too!) both do 1080 60i so I am wondering if the 60i vs 24p frequency could solve the shakiness/jello effect that my Canon does. Plus, you can review your footage right away, fix it on any tripod, take still pictures at 10fps and while shooting video... The other brands don'T offer 60i video, so I think that those Sony might be good options for cheap.

There is a review here about the HX9V that says it doesn't have a manual mode (didn't expect that for 200$) and they have put some samples :
    1080p and 60fps, almost no aliasing for $349 HX9V cinema5D news

Edit : The new one is the HX20V, at around 300$.

Both models are around 200-300$ at BHphoto, so same price as the Contour, but doubles as a compact camera that you can actually use any other time too.

I didn't see any of these locally so I can't try them out for now. Anybody tried any of these (r other) cameras ?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by guim View Post
    the video was blurry and shaky even with a super soft home-made mount with foam
    Mounting a camera on soft foam to decrease shake is like turning up the volume on your stereo because it's too loud. In other words, that's the worse thing you could have done. The camera needs to be mounted solidly to whatever you put it on. No foam, rubber, or any kind of padding. Also, the memory card doesn't have anything to do with blur and shake.

I understand your desire for an all in one, versatile solution, but I can promise you a point and shoot used as an action cam is just going to disappoint you. You're going to be severely limited with mounting options, and a PAS isn't as durable as an action cam. I don't think your issues with the Contour were with the camera itself, but with how you used it. You would inevitably have the same issues with any camera until you learn to use it correctly.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hi PedalDangit,

thanks for your answer, but I'd also like someone who has effectively tried it to answer. Did you do any test with a point n shoot ? Something like the Sony that shoots 60 fps ?

This guy did ride a downhill trail with the Sony DSP-TX20 and the results are better than the usual Gopro/Contour footage I see so I thought maybe someone else has tried it with another camera.
    Edit : click here MTB

I did try with the foam after trying without any foam just to see if it did anything.I thought it could reduce the small bumps and vibrations, but that didn't solve it. I have also tried it in my hands, riding one handed to see if once stabilized it would be better. It was not much better than my HS230, but the resolution and colors of my Canon footage was so much better. I also like the PAS narrower field of view than the 120/170* of the POV cameras.

By shaky video I should have talked about rolling shutter instead, my mistake. This can be solved by a faster camera processor and/or by using a faster memory card. DSLRs are notorious for that but I did not find one fast enough for fast pans or action filming and I don't want to mount my DSLR on my chest.

I don't mind making a custom mount for a PAS, as I can just use 1/4-20 threaded hardware and make a small metal rack to fit it on the Gopro chest mount. I've seen threads of people doing it and it's not that complicated if you're handy and have enough time. I'll just to that over the winter in the 3-4 months of off season here in Canada.

Also, the Sony TX20 I was mentionning is shock proof, waterproof, dustproof and made of metal on the outside. 133g with battery, so lighter than the Contour also. I would also prefer to fall with a PAS on the chest than on a Contour. Anyway, if you crash, any of those cameras will break or tear from their mount. But the PAS has a screen and you don't have to buy anything more than the camera itself to get the sceen.

I'm just looking for different option than the Contour and GoPro which in my opinion have deceiving quality for their price. Maybe I'm just too picky for POV cameras and will just pass up on those, but I am still looking for alternative options. If it doesn't work out, no big deal, I just wanted to try some stuff with it and I don't really need it. It's just another cool POV to add to videos (like in "Where the trail ends" for example).

If anyone has tried it, please share your thoughts. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i'm in the same boat. I'm a bit of a camera geek. I'm thinking bout getting the lx7 and using that. but one thing important about gopro and sony action cam (much more compelling than gopro imho). I like the fisheye tho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guim View Post
    I'm just looking for different option than the Contour and GoPro which in my opinion have deceiving quality for their price. Maybe I'm just too picky for POV cameras and will just pass up on those, but I am still looking for alternative options. If it doesn't work out, no big deal, I just wanted to try some stuff with it and I don't really need it. It's just another cool POV to add to videos (like in "Where the trail ends" for example).
    To be honest, I don't think anything will live up to your opinion. There are tradeoffs for the form factor, toughness and intended use.

I have a ROAM and find the video completely satisfactory. Is it cinematic quality? Obviously not. Does it give a great perspective for outdoor activities when mounted properly? Yep, sure does.

I also have an Olympus TG-2. It does full 1080p (30fps) plus 120 and 240 fps (at reduced resolution). Plus it's tough (waterproof, dustproof, shockproof and crushproof) and it has an f2.0 lens. Takes great pictures with full light, but is a bit noisy in low light.

It's got a standard 1/4" tripod mount, great LCD... but won't likely give you the same video as a POV camera; it's just not what it was designed for.

As for saying they "decieve" you, that's not fair at all. There are plenty of videos on their sites, plenty of reviews you can look at and plenty of comparos out there to help you make a very informed decision.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    well, I agree with guim. The camera market has economy of scale and is extremely competitive. the qualiy/$ is much better than gopro market. If you watch the gopro /sony action cam videos, you'll notice they use extremely highly lit environments. The rule in cameras, the darker your lighting, the more $$ u need to spend to get quality shots/video. All product promotional videos are marketing material, by definition propaganda.

pov has to do with the lens on it. gopro/sonyactioncam have fisheyes. I could also by a m43 with a fisheye lens which has spectactular quality for about $500-600 full seupt, but end up with a device that has other uses. so better bang/buck for me.
    Panasonic DMC-G3 w. Rokinon 7.5mm Fisheye Night Test Unedited on 42nd Street Times Square - YouTube
    The questions I'm trying to find:
    are these too heavy, 600g vs under 100g. I think this may be the deal breaker,, the added weight will introduce too hard to securely mount and stabilize.
    Last edited by bob13bob; 03-04-2013 at 12:16 AM.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I own a Sony DSC-HX9V and it does take excellent video..I wouldn't use it as a POV camera though - I have a GoPro Hero and Hero 2 for that role but the HX9V I use for external shots which it does a good job of doing.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hi skiahh,

I think that I was clear when I admitted that I was picky, and maybe I had greater expectations with these cameras since I hadn't seen much footage before, neither had ever tried one. That doesn't mean that they don't work well for the majority of people, and I'm not arguing this.

Now telling me that nothing would live up to my "opinion" is a bit of a bold statement. Did I ask DSLR or 4K RED camera quality in a Contour ROAM ? I did not expect cinematic quality, I was just deceived because I found that my 200$ P&S camera did better regarding video quality. This is not a big deal and I don't care, I was just wondering.

I did not start this thread to get people arguing my opinions about video quality or flame me for having the idea to try a P&S camera as a POV camera. I was just asking if anyone else had tried it and did not expect to come here to justify myself on my video quality opinions.

Thanks for respecting that and have a great day.