mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Best Camera for less than $50 ?

I'd like to get a cheap POV camera to mount on my helmet or handlebar. Not familiar with the offerings out there so I'm hoping people here can give me some suggestions.

Is this one too shaky for high speed filming ?

Mini DVR 808 Car Key Chain Micro Camera #16 Real HD 720P H.264 Pocket Camcorder

Mini DVR 808 Car Key Chain Micro Camera 16 Real HD 720P H 264 Pocket Camcorder | eBay

Thanks for any advice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My 00.02$ is for that price any thng you buy will preform slightly better then duct taping a potato to your handle bars. To be honest You would be better off mounting an old cellphone to your bike.

mtbr member
    I bought a Polaroid XS10 camera just after Christmas for $40 from Amazon.

Polaroid Store - The Polaroid XS10 HD 720p 3MP Waterproof Sports Action Camera with Mounting Kit was designed for action. Polaroid action video cameras, Polaroid sport video cameras.

I epoxied a GoPro mount to it. It was my snowmobiling helmet camera for this season. 720 @ 30. Battery would last 1.5 hrs in the cold. Never had a problem at - 30C or attached to my helmet at 130 kph. Decent video for that price.

Check out the videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPBK_eOw7Jo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8pjKzVkaS4

I just purchased a CamOne Infinity camera but the Polaroid impressed me.

Last edited by 01Forester; 05-01-2013 at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member
    That mini DVR is pretty cool. For 30$ it works pretty great. I've been watching some videos of this camera and I've been following their topic at rcgroups forum and I'm impressed with the development of the camera.

BUT, if you're really considering low cost action camera, wait for the next 808 #16 It will be called Mobius ActionCam and will do 1080 @ 30fps & 720p @ 60fps. How much will it cost and when it will be ready to ship is still unkown. Keep an eye on it (just google for its name and rcgroups). I will get one my self and will do a review.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just picked up a Bios bulletcam 3.0 601fc for $49.99. It's a contour knockoff. Charging it up tonight and gonna try it out tomorrow. I bought it at Frys electronics, when doing some research on it I couldn't find it anywhere else under $100. Figured I'd give a shot for such a cheap price.

mtbr member
    My dad got a Sharper Image HD Action Cam at Menards clearance for $30 with mounts! I have not seen it in person yet but here's the link. You have to be by a menards.
    Sharper Image HD Action Cam Digital Video at Menards

my legs are sore
    I'm a cheapskate at heart and played around a lot with the 808 #16 camera. The field of view isn't very wide wich makes the camera shake seem worse; but if you look around, you can find versions of the camera that come with a wide-angle lens. The other thing to consider when buying a cheaper camera is the scan speed of the sensor. Cheaper cameras use sensors with slower scan speed which causes a noticeable "jello" affect any time there is significant motion.
    Rolling shutter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I used to do the Hokey-Pokey but then I turned myself around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
    Just picked up a Bios bulletcam 3.0 601fc for $49.99. It's a contour knockoff. Charging it up tonight and gonna try it out tomorrow. I bought it at Frys electronics, when doing some research on it I couldn't find it anywhere else under $100. Figured I'd give a shot for such a cheap price.
    Any followup on this?

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixbikes View Post
    I'd like to get a cheap POV camera to mount on my helmet or handlebar. Not familiar with the offerings out there so I'm hoping people here can give me some suggestions.

Is this one too shaky for high speed filming ?

Mini DVR 808 Car Key Chain Micro Camera #16 Real HD 720P H.264 Pocket Camcorder

Mini DVR 808 Car Key Chain Micro Camera 16 Real HD 720P H 264 Pocket Camcorder | eBay

Thanks for any advice.
    I got one of those. It's surprisingly good, actually. I should edit something up and post a sample. It's not GoPro good, but it's also not $300+. It will end up being more than $50 if you factor in an external battery and nice big memory card. It also has a short battery life, and requires an external USB battery if you want to run it longer than 25 minutes. It's also not splash proof, or have any way of having a viewfinder. It give a bit of jelly-picture, but I've seen way worse. It's tolerable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just paypal me $50, it will be just as effective.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large