mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Anyone play guitar here? GoPro or Sony?

Hi all, first off, I'm not a mountain biker, but it appears you guys are pretty passionate about these POV cameras so I thought I might be able to get some insight here. My application will be just slightly different. I want to get either a GoPro or Sony action cam to mount to the headstock of a guitar (to show the fingers on the fret board) for teaching type videos for sale on a site. I'll shoot at 1080P. Based on your various experiences with field of view, etc, which camera would you suggest I use? Keep in mind, that these aren't going to be "action" type shots. The camera will be relatively still, just capturing the motion of the fingers. The studio is well lit so lighting isn't an issue. A Youtube search shows quite a few GoPros mounted to guitars, but none of the Sony unfortunately. I know the GoPro's battery leaves much to be desired so that's a definite disadvantage. I hope my post isn't considered spam since it is about cameras.. Thanks!

re member
    Since you don't need the "ruggedness" that an action POV cam provides, you may be able to just use a nice and compact point-and-shoot that takes decent video.

GoPro's do have a bit of a fisheye lens, but up close shots don't seem to round out too much. The third generation GoPros toned down the fisheye a little bit, but didn't completly do away with it. I have a GoPro 3 white, and the battery life on it is no worse than my Contour Roam2. I don't ever turn on the WiFi, though. I know if you use the WiFi, it will drain the battery pretty quick.

For your appliction, I would be looking for a nice and compact point-and-shoot that takes good video, and just look into some of the mounts the action cams use to mount to bikes.

Something like this: Amazon.com: Pedco UltraClamp Assembly for Cameras, Scopes and Binoculars: Sports & Outdoors
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the reply net wurker. I actually have a Canon vixia m500 that we were going to use as an overhead camera, but it became a problem because the subject could not move very much or the neck would move out of the frame. I thought about mounting the Canon, but I think it's a little too big and too heavy at almost 12 ounces. I should be able to sell that camera on eBay and I'll look into seeing what's available in a smaller, lighter regular camcorder. I'm sure there's got to be a workable solution out there with all the gadgets available today. It's a shame the gopro has such a lousy batter life. I'd need to use the wifi and remote to start and stop the camera from about 8-10 feet away so it would be on the whole time....

EDIT: After some searching, I discovered the iON Air Pro 3, this one looks pretty darn good from the videos and specs that I've read:
    iON Launches New Wifi Air Pro 3 Camera - Transworld Snowboarding I think this might be the one to go with! Seems to be brand new as of Nov 15th.
    Last edited by dax702; 12-10-2013 at 01:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I went ahead and bought the Sony AS15 on sale from B&H for $129, so I hope it works out, will find out next week I suppose!! Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Did you know Sony has a camera based of the action cam that is optimized for audio? They are targeting it toward music video filming I guess. The audio section is ramped up for high quality audio and its not designed for water proofness, etc. The Sony has disadvantage of having to use the case to mount it, so audio is compromised unless you modify it. Battery life is good though. And the price is good for the older model.