mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Anybody edit using iMovie?

Any tips?

I have a chest mount and the video seems a bit shaky and too fast......Is there any iMovie option that will help with this?

No, that's not phonetic
    Do you know anything about iMovie or are you starting from scratch? The Missing Manual series by David Pogue for iMovie is an awesome book. If you are going to edit bids, get a copy.

iMovie can do clip stabilization after you add it to a project. You can also slow the clip down. Double click on a clip in your project and click the stabilize box. Only do this to relatively short clips or be ready for a long wait. All that said, if your souce vid is shaky beyond help, no software will make it look good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    There is no way to get good results from iMovie. If you can afford it use After Effects and plugin called Magic Bullet Steady.

Good luck.

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by karamela View Post
    There is no way to get good results from iMovie. If you can afford it use After Effects and plugin called Magic Bullet Steady.

Good luck.
    No way to get good results with iMovie?
    I think that statement is incorrect... I've had great experience with iMovie and think the quality of my movies are great for a helmet cam and my noob skills.

No image stabilization used on this vid....

Or here...
    Last edited by Eckstream1; 09-29-2011 at 06:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy View Post
    Do you know anything about iMovie or are you starting from scratch? The Missing Manual series by David Pogue for iMovie is an awesome book. If you are going to edit bids, get a copy.
    Agree...the book helps a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy View Post
    iMovie can do clip stabilization after you add it to a project. You can also slow the clip down. Double click on a clip in your project and click the stabilize box. Only do this to relatively short clips or be ready for a long wait. All that said, if your souce vid is shaky beyond help, no software will make it look good.
    Also agree. Mt biking is tough for video especially in rocky terrain. The chesty mount is just to shaky IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckstream1 View Post
    No way to get good results with iMovie?
    I think that statement is incorrect... I've had great experience with iMovie and think the quality of my movies are great for a helmet cam and my noob skills.
    Agree, iMovie does everything I "need." Would like more intro options but it gets the job done for the right price.

All but my first two videos have been done with iMovie: Brian Brandow's videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newnan3 View Post

Any tips?

I have a chest mount and the video seems a bit shaky and too fast......Is there any iMovie option that will help with this?
    I love using iMovie. It is a great editing software if you are just starting out. It is very easy to use and there are a lot of different tricks that you can do once you get more comfortable with it.

I also bought the Missing Manual mentioned by a couple others. This manual will help with getting into some more features such as beat markers.

I agree that the chest mount can be very shaky in rocky sections and you don't want to use too much stabilization or the footage wont look very good. I use it but only on the really shaky sections.

All of my videos have been edited in iMovie (excepts the 'Cars' video). Check them out if you want. theGreenEGg's videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've never done any video editing on any program so the Missing Manual is a great suggestion, Thanks!

D@mn, I thought the chesty mount was the best one that why I got it.......What is everyone else using?

Has anyone had good luck using a frame mount near the headset?

mtbr member
    I've never done any video editing on any program so the Missing Manual is a great suggestion, Thanks!

D@mn, I thought the chesty mount was the best one that why I got it.......What is everyone else using?

The chest mount is the best IMO. I like the view it gives but it does get a little shaky on the rough sections.

Visit 29er.tv
    I would highly recommend MacProVideo.com, totally worth the monthly fee for a few months if you want to become proficient at any sort of editing software. I used it for the new Final Cut Pro X and it really helped me learn the ins and outs.

mtbr member

I think the chesty is almost a terrain specific mount. On the Colorado Front Range, it's very rocky/bumpy. I only know of a few miles of "smooth" single track so I stick with a helmet mount.
    As for mounting options, use ram mounts to mount to the frame, seat tube etc. Works well. (to lazy to link but if you search for ram mounts you'll find stuff on here)