mtbr member

Any chesty mount tips tricks?

Hello,

I've started to use my Panasonic ft2 on a go pro chesty strap using a drift / gopro adapter. Ive noticed that its hard to get a good viewing angle. When standing off the bike the camera has to point skywards to compensate for sitting down on the bike. When sitting the positioning is good but as soon as the terrain gets tough and my position changes on the bike so does the camera position and it's to low.

Any tips on mounting it better to compensate for this?

Should my camera be a nipple height on my chest or higher/lower?

Would a wider lens angle help? Could it be that the lens on my camera is to tight for this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    In my experience, it's a compromise. I set the camera to my position while riding aggressively, such as downhills or other fun sections when I am in the "attack position". This is the camera footage I prefer, more so than seated riding (boring?). In a nutshell, set the camera position so that it best captures the best features of the trail.

I use a GoPro camera, which has a wide angle so the video while seated is not terrible even though. I am not familiar with your camera. Perhaps the lens is more narrow.

mtbr member
    The attack position is cool if you are riding down hill but I'm riding trails. I may have to go back to helmet mounting then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If you can't dial in a good angle on the chest mount, maybe try a handlebar or stem mount. It will give you a similar viewpoint.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What resolution are you recording in? I've found that 1080p (and 720p) don't work as well with the chesty mount because of the smaller vertical field of view. 960p works better because of the larger vertical view - you can see a good ways ahead even when you're standing up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i have just started using the hd hero 960 and have the same issue...ie, that the chesty mount for mtn biking angles the camera a bit too low (too much knees, arms and bike and not enough trail ahead). i think i am going to try to tape or glue a strip of foam to the back of the bottom of the plastic part of the mount to angle the mount higher towards the sky. i tried a thin piece yesterday but it clearly wasn't enough...i read that someone tried a 1" thick strip of foam and it did the trick for him. otherwise i love the mount, which was probably made more for skiing than mtn biking....but when i put the camera on the stem or handlebar it is too bumpy, and it is almost impossible to tighten the mount enough to keep the camera from flopping over..that's why i bought the chesty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    i have just started using the hd hero 960 and have the same issue...ie, that the chesty mount for mtn biking angles the camera a bit too low (too much knees, arms and bike and not enough trail ahead). i think i am going to try to tape or glue a strip of foam to the back of the bottom of the plastic part of the mount to angle the mount higher towards the sky. i tried a thin piece yesterday but it clearly wasn't enough...i read that someone tried a 1" thick strip of foam and it did the trick for him. otherwise i love the mount, which was probably made more for skiing than mtn biking....but when i put the camera on the stem or handlebar it is too bumpy, and it is almost impossible to tighten the mount enough to keep the camera from flopping over..that's why i bought the chesty.
    Flip the camera upside down in the chest mount. Remove the clip-in mount from the chesty and reattach it upside down. The camera will thus mount under the mounting bolt and will allow you to change the angle more appropriately. You will have to change the camera setting to record upside down as well.

mtbr member
    +1 for riding with it upside down.

Also it's probably best to focus on 1 section of trail adjust the angle for that section rather than having an all in one.

mtbr member
    Here's some videos to demonstrate. I have been recording in 720p

K-town Single track clip 2.m4v - YouTube head mounted

Cannock Chase Trail best bit December 2011 clip 2 - YouTube chest cam
    Cannock Chase Trail best bits Dec 2011 clip 1 - YouTube chest cam.

Its hard to get it spot on, I'm still learning every time I take the camera out.

make mine a nine
    +1 wide angle makes it easier (more forgiving) to aim. I film all my footage in 960P and then either scale or crop to 720P for posting. This gives you the ability to correct you camera aiming during the edit.
    The massive field of view from the GoPro in 960 mode is a big advantage.

-1 Helmet mounts. Not a big fan of the vision, as it's too high and you tend to feel disconnected from the trail. I've had good success mounting on the bike, forward looking from the headtube and the downtube. (see my other recent posts if interested)