mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Ancient Lakes Washington

Here's a couple videos from the last couple weekends. Filmed w/ 3 Contours, 1 GoPro, and a Panasonic...

mtbr member

Nice Job, Thanks...

Really enjoyed the vids; and would love to know more specifically what trails you folks took. I am sitting on the other side of the Range and would love to catch some pleasant spring riding.

It would be much appreciated, and once again nicely put together videos you all made

mtbr member
    Thanks for the videos. Really enjoyed them. Looks like some nice tracks to cycle :-)
    www.mtb-action.com

- MTB videos, photos and reviews

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon
    Really enjoyed the vids; and would love to know more specifically what trails you folks took. I am sitting on the other side of the Range and would love to catch some pleasant spring riding.

It would be much appreciated, and once again nicely put together videos you all made
    Thanks grandsalmon. The trails in wildlife areas aren't marked or "signed" like forest service trails. More like "raw routes" and old cattle trails. You kind of have to go there and explore. We look on Goggle Earth and etc. for ideas and of corse talk to others at trail heads. On both of those rides we parked at the "lower" trail head on Ancient Lakes Road off of road #9. You can also park up above at Burke Lake or ? and ride down into the lakes. Looks like a bunch of trails/routes, little lakes &etc. up on top too... haven't got to those yet.

Happy Trails!

Oh ya, you need a state fish & wildlife parking permit to park in that area.

mtbr member
    Thank you for posting these. They're some of a very small handful of POV videos that I've watched that didn't make me nauseous, dizzy, or bored to tears. They are very well done and I enjoyed them very much.

I do have a question, if you don't mind. One of the camera perspectives looks like it's mounted above the fork. How did the rider keep the cables/hoses completely out of the frame? Just clever use of zip ties or was there some editing magic involved?
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    on the ElRay, the forward facing cam is mounted to the head tube with a regular "Ram" ball mount w/ Contours tri-pod attachment. On the Fat Bike, It's a Contour attached to the side of the frame (with Gorrilla Tape & foam padding) so the lens is just about even w/ the front of the head tube... I wanted to see the crown once in a while when making sharp turns on that one. We've found right above a suspension fork and NOT mounted to the handlebar or fork to be one of the smoothest places to mount a POV. Pans smoothly in the direction the bike is traveling instead of back and forth with every twist of the handlebars and obviously benefiting from the shock being right below it. Same is true of the rear facing seat tube mounts. Also, seems like the lower you can mount it, the smoother things turn out (to a certain extent... maybe I should say the more "central" you can mount it). Lower mounting points also seem to enhance speed. Sorry it took me so long to reply, wasn't paying attention...

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've been mounting mine on the frame just above the fork using a section of old inner tube and a velcro strap. It's pretty smooth and gives a really good perspective of the trail ahead without the wobble or side-to-side movement of a handlebar mount, I like it a lot. The problem I've been having has been in securing my shift cables and brake hoses so that they're out of the frame. It seems that the camera wants to auto-focus on them if they're in the frame at all and I want it to auto-focus on trail features and the rider ahead of me.

I've been using zip ties and it's working OK but it's not ideal. I was wondering if you had worked out a better solution? Yours looks great!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Gotcha Skullcap, you must be using a camcorder for POV mounting? The Contour I'm attaching to the frame is "fixed focus" so if the cables get in the way they don't effect the image... except for being in the picture. My buddies Ram Mount on his El Ray puts the cam out front just ahead of his cables. Thats probably the way to go... to miss the cables anyway. I like picking up the Ft. tire a little bit, but if I were using an auto focus camera, I'd be having the same problem.

mtbr member
    Haha, maybe it's my eyeballs that are autofocusing then, my camera is a Contour 1080p. I just keep getting these crisp, clear videos of my helmet visor or cable/tubes with an ever-so-slightly blurred trail and/or rider behind them. Either way, it sounds like I need to invest in a Ram Mount, thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That's interesting, might be something wrong with the cam. When I get cables or etc. close up, they're usually slightly blurry... sounds like the focus may be slightly off on yours. You should call contour about it, They're known to be pretty good about service. They might fix it for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Scullcap, watch the second video again. At approx. 3:08, I make a sharp u-turn up above one of the lakes and the Rt. side of my fork tube/crown comes into view and it's a little out of focus and the tire (and everything else out ahead) looks pretty sharp. (that's my Contour up front- set to 720p/30fps). I think your cam got out of focus some how...

mtbr member
    Yeah, I saw that. That's what I'm talking about. An amazing closeup of bike equipment suddenly turns everything else into background. Whether you want it to or not. It's an amazing technique when you're doing it on purpose but not so much when you're not. I've noticed it when I've been watching other videos, too. An amazing closeup of someone's arms and handlebars, or their fork bouncing up and down, or their rear wheel turning, etc. Sometimes for the entire video. Like I said, it can be amazing or tiresome (or in my case, nausea-inducing). Either way, if I do it I'd like it to be on purpose, not accidental. Anyway, thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Did you guys camp there? I plan on going there next weekend and wanted to know what the wind is like? Looks fun though i can't wait!

Genius_rider
    Sep 2010
    Hello,

Very nice videos. Do you have a close up picture on how the camera was mounted on the red bike? On the second video at 3:06 I can see it is mounted to the head tube and you explain it is a RAM mount. What RAM mount are you using? Is it a RAM Mount Yoke Clamp Base with 1 inch Ball ( RAM Mount Yoke Clamp Base with 1 inch Ball) what you are using?

Thank you