mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Aluminum GoPro Mount Extensions

I mount my camera on the side of my helmet and use two 35mm straight extensions and one 50mm extension. By 'straight' I mean both ends of the extensions are same direction vs having a 90 degree turn like the standard GP extensions.

I have found some aluminum extensions made by Rec-Mounts (in Japan), but wondering if they will slip due to vibration? Anyone know? They aren't cheap, so want to make sure before I consider ordering.

https://www.amazon.com/Rec-mounts-Ex...c-mounts+gopro

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Regardless of the material, use some friction paste (the same kind you use for carbon frames) to keep your mounts from moving due to vibrations. I use a q-tip to apply it and then give the knobs a few good turns with the tightening tool. Those mounts don't move for Jack after doing that.

As for those mounts, unless you find yourself breaking mounts often I'd save some cash and just get plastic ones.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetrottngeek View Post
    Regardless of the material, use some friction paste (the same kind you use for carbon frames) to keep your mounts from moving due to vibrations. I use a q-tip to apply it and then give the knobs a few good turns with the tightening tool. Those mounts don't move for Jack after doing that.

As for those mounts, unless you find yourself breaking mounts often I'd save some cash and just get plastic ones.
    Thanks!! I ordered the plastic ones....hopefully they are high quality. Is Fiber Grip the friction paste you are referring to?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmac1 View Post
    Thanks!! I ordered the plastic ones....hopefully they are high quality. Is Fiber Grip the friction paste you are referring to?
    Yup, fiber grip or Park Tools SAC-2 SuperGrip will do ya. If you get a bit on the threads of the tightening knob you may notice it's a bit crunchy while you tighten. Just unscrew it, clean off the excess, and tighten as normal.

Have fun!