mtbr member

Adobe Premiere Q&A

I have a GP hero 2 and I've used CS5 quite extensively. My computer is more than up to the task of editing videos. However, I lack the knowledge on how to import/export my videos to get the same quality as when they're raw when I upload them to youtube. What settings are people here using for 720x60 with their hero2?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    First of all I have some ok experience with Premiere but I have used FCP since version 1 in 1999. But with all importing and exporting you just want to match what your camera shoots with. Since your GoPro HD uses 720p at 30fps for example at like a 15mbps bitrate then you will want to use a codec or sequence that matches this for your timeline edit. So when you export your sequence it will be ok. Your exported file size should be relatively large at like 1.5 to 2gb for a 3-4 minute edit. If it is only like 500mb then it it compressed too much. Just do a test file with various codecs or exports. Get a Premiere for Dummies book. Basically you don't want to be editing on a timeline with a codec or bitrate that is less than 15mbps which is what your original files are shot at. After I export the file I then export it again at like 10mbps with the h.264 codec. Decent for YouTube cause they use their own compression when you upload.

mtbr member
    Yeah I know youtube does additional compression. I'm shooting 720x60 so I'm exporting at the same rate and I'm also doing a double pass. The video is still only 200mb or so which is too small for a 4 minute video.

I just rebeefed my computer and now have 20gb of ram and 3.5ghz 6 core cpu. I've been checking task manager and Premiere "only" uses 7% of my cpu and ram. Needless to say, export times are quite astounding now.

Maybe I'm just running too big of a resolution for the camera quality to look sharp enough? I'm in 1980x1020.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Nice on the computer ram etc.
    But yeah 200mb is way off. You need to be sure you are editing at 1280 x 720 and 60fps first of all in your timeline. Then make sure the codec and bitrates are right. Open up your 200mb file and see what codecs for audio and video are used. Also check the resolution and bitrate. All should match at least the quality of your raw gopro files.
    Hope that helps. Write back.

mtbr member
    I adjusted my bitrate on the export and it helped tremendously. I could export the file from as small as 50mb up to 4gb. I chose around 2gb and it looks just as good as it was raw. Thanks