Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1st Day Clip-In = Crash, Roll, Ouch, Whose Idea Was This Anyway?

729 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  uneek78 
#1 ·
So I let my buddy talk me into this clip-in craze. I was not impressed. I couldn't remember when I fell before this, but I fell at least 5 times this day. Went back to my car bleeding from my body in several different places........lol! My wife thought I was crazy when I got home. She was like ".....and you like this?". Lol! I didn't even know how to answer. Any who, my friend asked me to keep at it for awhile, because I was planning on searching for some good platform pedals IMMEDIATELY!!! I've gotten better, BUT I'm still not the hugest fan of being clipped in. I may move on to platform pedals anyway. Think I'll give it the full month of January before I make my decision.

Enjoy the spills............music included to make the video more interesting...

Singletrack Mountain Biking - Harris Lake - YouTube

#2 ·
haha..stick with it---youll get to the point where riding without being clipped will scare you to death.. go out and practice on flat surfaces clipping in and out--in--out--in --out..to the point you dont even think about it...you just naturally get in and out subconciously...also be sure to set the pedals on the easiest setting to get out..that will help.. :thumbsup:

#3 ·
Well, I ride enough to get the practice in. I will work with them for all of January. Hopefully by then I will love them. I'll surprise myself if there is ever a day I'd be scared to ride w/o them, but at this point I hope to see that day. Thanks for the support!

#4 ·
First, it's not a "craze"... it's the norm. :D

Second, we ALL went through that process, despite how good you ride. I found myself upside down, under my bike I don't know how many times the first month or so I had my clipless. To the point I had to take my stupid shoes off to get the pedals free from the bike!! So, don't worry about that and don't give up, either! They really are worth the learning curve.

Finally, if you don't like the pedals you're learning on, investigate others. I started on SPDs. After a season on them, I decided I hated them - I just could not get out. I could clip in just fine, but the springs holding me in place just was just something I couldn't get over, for some reason. I wound up going to Frogs, that have no springs at all. They work for me.

You'll get the hang of it eventually, and then, as someone else said, you won't want to get on your bike without them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.