mtbr member
    Jun 2009

XC loop at Highland?

sorry if there is a thread somewhere, but has anyone here ridden the XC loop at Highland?

How is it? How many miles do they have right now?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What they have is limited and probably wouldn't keep you busy for much more than an hour. If you're already at Highland it's worth a look but not worth a special trip at this point. It seems like it get a fair amount of use for races.

think
    Jul 2008
    On the other hand, the trails are super fun. I can easily spend much more than an hour doing laps out there.

Several more trails are in the works as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    6 miles as of right now. A new larger loop is in the works. I haven't ridden them yet, hopefully will sat for closing weekend. Hopefully they've been blown off.. from what I've heard they are a blast though.
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Yeah 6 miles is about right for now! I went for just under an hour ride there a few months back and it was great...well maintained and some climbing and a couple different loops. I have been told from a Highlands crew guy that more XC trails are in the works, so keep posted for updates, probably next year though.
    08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey Joe and I think its called "stumps" are super fun downhill sections. Lapping those two makes for a decent no-cost alternative to riding the lifts. Highland rules.

mtbr member
    Hey, I'm heading up to Highland tomorrow and I plan on riding the xc trails early, before the lifts open. Whats the best way to ride them, loop wise? Should I ride up the snowmobile trail to the road climb, then back down via hey joe to doctors orders? Maybe start with buckshot or pass the buck? Are the dark green trails on the map the harder ones?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Go Bruins!
    I know they just had a nemba event there this past weekend with some xc trail building. I am curious to know the state of these trails as well. I'm sure they have more than six miles now. The question is how much more. Can anyone fill us in?
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    I get the NEMBA news updates and such and from what I gathered, they were adding around a mile of trail. I don't know if it all got done, I'll look around tomorrow and see if I see anything new that's not on the map. .

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Rode there a few weeks ago. Moose Tracks to Snowmo to Pass the buck, buckshot, out to road climb, up to winchline to doctors orders....repeat back up to top of road climb, then down hey joe to doctors orders. Have no idea where the new mile long trail is. Colors on map do not seem to indicate difficulty. If you need more xc try out the new trails at Spaulding Woods about 10 miles/15 minutes away. See thread a few days ago on Spaulding Woods. From Highlands go back down to a right on Rt. 132, couple miles to a right on Rt. 3 in Tilton, follow 3 a few miles to a right on Rt.140 ( just after going over I-93)...park at boat launch just right after Holiday Inn Express...see Spaulding Woods thread for more info and map

mtbr member
    Thanks, traffic was horrendous so I only had a short time to ride the XC trails. I just followed the arrows, pretty self explanatory. The trails I rode were a lot of fun and well built. I didn't explore everything and didn't see any new trails, so I can't help with that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Update on Highlands singletrack xc--according to NEMBA Singletrack Magazine Nov. 2013: 50 volunteer trail builders completed 6864 feet of singletrack( one mile &1/4) in 12 hours. Top third winds through rocky outcrops, bottom 2/3 rds. is fast and flowy roller coaster. That brings the total at highlands to 8 miles of free singletrack XC

Go Bruins!
    I rode here today for the first time on a whim. The trails (although leaf covered of course) are nice and fast and fun. The fire road climb from pass the buck to hey joe is a struggle, but many trails seem to flow downhill from that point. I hit moose tracks to sno-mo to pass the buck. I missed buck shot somehow and came out to the road. I then did the full road climb to hey joe (again a grind) to stump line out to winch line.

Then I climbed back up toward hey joe (ugh) and took the new trail directly across the top of hey joe. The new trail is really nice. The last 1/4 mile or so is mini dh bliss with 1 foot water bars at just the right intervals to launch every one. the new trail exits just by the fork in the fire road just below winch line. I then climbed back up again to hey joe (got my climbing in for sure) and did hey joe to doctors orders and out moose tracks. All in all a fun 1.5 hours for me. These trails are not overly technical at all, but your speed has to be managed or these woods will spit you out. I almost faded out my front brake flying down stump line because it is fast.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    AVID BB7 will cure you of any brake fade my friend. been brake fade free for 10 years now

will hafta check out the xc stuff sometime.

rog

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    AVID BB7 will cure you of any brake fade my friend. been brake fade free for 10 years now

will hafta check out the xc stuff sometime.

rog
    so why isnt Danny hart running them then.......

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You just love throwing names around don't you. Tool. Rog

think
    Jul 2008
    The trouble is they're also stopping power free How are things Rog?

Dave - the Highland trails have many sneaky lines, spots to boost off stuff, etc. Faster is better haha. Get Andy from the bike shop or one of the other guys to give you a tour.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news View Post
    The trouble is they're also stopping power free How are things Rog?

Dave - the Highland trails have many sneaky lines, spots to boost off stuff, etc. Faster is better haha. Get Andy from the bike shop or one of the other guys to give you a tour.
    things are great, thank you.

nice to be riding a bunch. best time o year for it! you? all healed up?

we should ride

rog