That kinda hurt.

Winter Downhill locations?

So.....Basically this winter sucks.

Even though it sucks, Ski resorts will of course be milking man-made snow for all it's worth.

I'm totally ok with Hike-a-biking, in fact sometimes i prefer it because i like to earn my turns. But As a recent transplant from down south, I don't really know where to go in the Boston and North area.

Does anyone know some good areas to go this time of year? My Trail bike is broken at the moment, so i'm pretty much only interested in downhill or bermy stuff.

Any ideas for a new guy to the region who doesn't really know anyone?

think
    Jul 2008
    What winter sucks?

This is the mildest winter with the most good riding I've seen....ever?

That kinda hurt.
    Summer and fall and spring are for riding. Winter is for snow.

Well that was super helpful. Still trying to find places to go. Hiked up and rode down some of the narrower Blue Hills trails this morning, but legally speaking i dont think it's allowed.

think
    Jul 2008
    I'm a bit of a one trick pony unfortunately, so snow isn't very interesting to me.

I've actually been thinking about this because I'm building up a new big bike for the wife and she'll want to try it...I didn't expect to be riding dirt in February. I got nothing really worth driving for though.

mtbr member
    So your saying you are looking for downhill with snow? Not really getting what your looking for.... or DH that's clear of snow right now?
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    GraphiteBrawler, find a map of the area to find out what is OK for pedaling, about 50 % is open to pedaling, plenty of options for pedaling up and and getting your singletrack fix.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Skiing is for Losers

Quote Originally Posted by GraphiteBrawler View Post
    Summer and fall and spring are for riding. Winter is for snow.

Well that was super helpful. Still trying to find places to go. Hiked up and rode down some of the narrower Blue Hills trails this morning, but legally speaking i dont think it's allowed.
    Winter is for snowBIKING.

Snowbiking is the shizzizzle! Check out this short film we just made.

I cannot post links yet, but check it out here. freeridestash[dot]com/europe/austria/tirol/snowbiking

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    There's no lift access DH available in the US in winter as far as I know. You can earn your DH with some climbing but most of what we've been riding around boston has been more all mountain type stuff, NE style of course, short climbs and short descents. Heading to Bootleg in Vegas this weekend for some shuttle style DH runs. May's not too far away.

mtbr member

Diamond Hill, RI

There are actually a few DH runs we have been working on at Diamond Hill State Park in Cumberland, RI that are quite fun. Obviously, they are abbreviated compared to what you can get up north, but they are surprisingly long for Southern NE, around 200-250ft vertical drop. Just long enough to enjoy with the big bike. This place should blow up this year as we have permission to build DH trails and a lot of area to do so. We just need to stay motivated to build. Lincoln woods outside of Providence is also not bad with a big bike. Here is one of the runs at DH:

PM me if you want directions or a tour some time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I think we will start to see more lift accessed riding in winter. Between the bad economy and low snowpacks, bikes offer up an option to generate revenue that will get attention.

In the meantime, nothing wrong with a nice walk

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    elisnore- How do I get to Diamond Hill? That trail looks awesome, I'm always will to help build good DH trails! That's awesome that you've got full permission to build away, that's a rare feat to pull off where I'm from in AZ they've been trying to get this kind of OK for about 5 years now.