Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006

Why do all off the endurance races around have like no singletrack.

So as recent transplant to northern Vermont scounting out all of the endurance races around here and talking with people who have done them, most feature much less than 50 percent singletrack.

seriously there are couple races in West Virginia that have over 45 miles of singletrack in a 50 mile race with out repeating. Is there anything like that in new england?

mtbr member
    The 666 race, or 6 hour endurance challenge in Pittsfield, VT on August 20th is just about all on singletrack. It loops, but its so fun you don't mind doing it a few times. www.peakraces.com

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zaab70 View Post
    The 666 race, or 6 hour endurance challenge in Pittsfield, VT on August 20th is just about all on singletrack. It loops, but its so fun you don't mind doing it a few times. www.peakraces.com
    thanks! Ill be there! Any non loop singletrack courses?

Natty Dread
    New England as a whole is still developing in the mtb trail building dept but right now there is a ton of momentum. 50 miles is a lot of non contiguous single track especially if you are trying to crush people with climbing. Some of the races are to attract people to the area where they are trying to develop single track. I think part of the reason for hosting the race is to get folks to involve themselves to help increase the riding in those areas. If you visit a place you think has potential, get involved. I don't doubt that any place hosting a big race with large double track sections does not want that to be all single track one day.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Pedals View Post
    New England as a whole is still developing in the mtb trail building dept but right now there is a ton of momentum. 50 miles is a lot of non contiguous single track especially if you are trying to crush people with climbing. Some of the races are to attract people to the area where they are trying to develop single track. I think part of the reason for hosting the race is to get folks to involve themselves to help increase the riding in those areas. If you visit a place you think has potential, get involved. I don't doubt that any place hosting a big race with large double track sections does not want that to be all single track one day.
    first you dont need to crush people with climbing if its there its there, but alot of these races Hampshire 100, Whiteface 100 elect seem to be alot of steep doubletrack acents followed by steep double track decents. Who would ride that for fun?

I think 30 plus miles in a 50 mile race would be great.

Huntington
    Stowe
    Kingdom

are 3 places I know could do this if the local clubs wanted it to happen, I highly doubt stowe wants it to happen.

the train keeps rollin
    It's kind of difficult to do a lot of passing on singletrack ehh?
    beaver hunt

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    It's kind of difficult to do a lot of passing on singletrack ehh?
    it is, but even the WV race that has 45 mile of Singletrack it starts with a 1 mile on dirt roads, and people let you buy when you call out a pass. The race is 50 miles its not like your going to hold you position for 50 mile so people just let you pass.

mtbr member
    There is 40 mile race at Stewart AFB in Eastern NY. It is a 20 mile loop that you do twice. Pretty awesome terrain, unlike any other place i've seen in the Northeast. Looks like a different ecosystem entirely. There is a good bit of rock but it's all shale type. It's weird going over shale rollers, and when dry you can climb the stuff rediculously well. It's mainly all singletrack but the singletrack opens up in many areas due to the arid land it goes through. The place is a great set up for races.

I remember one of the races being called the Darkhorse 40. They also have a singlespeed specific race.

I don't race, but i enjoy riding the marked up race loops afterwards.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    sleepy hollow to htf to carse and back? with some dirt road in there?
    or start @ carse and head north and back?

not 50 miles worth? if you mix up the trails to get some length, no?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    When I moved from NH to Colorado, I was in heaven. All the endurance races out there are at least 80% singletrack. Just moved back home though.
    When did Pat's Peak start their 24 hour race? What is the route like?

Natty Dread
    Bushwhacker,
    Have you looked at the Carrabassett Backcountry Challenge in Maine? It's part of the USCAN endurance series: Carrabassett Backcountry Cycle Challenge July 24th

This probably will have more double track than you like but there big mountains and a very beautiful setting. A lot of singletrack is in the works up by Sugarloaf/Carrabassett Valley. This was the place I was thinking of when I mentioned folks wanting to showcase the area and build interest. Might be worth a trip over from VT.

Here is a link to the Carrabassett Nemba http://www.nemba.org/aboutnemba/Carrabassett.html

stoneblender
    Sep 2003
    The Mad River Valley has a pretty large network too. A race takes extra landowner permissions and this can be challenging in New England with lots of smaller properties.

John

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

funneh

Bushwhacker,
    Have you looked at the Carrabassett Backcountry Challenge in Maine? It's part of the USCAN endurance series: Carrabassett Backcountry Cycle Challenge July 24th

Might be worth a trip over from VT.
    now that's some funny $hit right there! vermonters going to maine? LOL!!!!

not gonna happen.

rog

mtbr member
    Don't Vermont Maine.

MC MasterShake
    I too decry the lack of singletrack and tech offered on the current endurance races in NE. I think Flat Pedals is right. Most of the areas the races are in are still developing true MTB trails. Also, it seems like the majority of the racers are Roadie Hammerhead types who benefit from smooth wide flat trails vs. folks like me who would benefit from a more techy/fun course. My theory is that MTB is starting to shift to more technical interesting riding so the races will need to follow suit or they will fade away. It will take some time though.

That being said 12 hours of Bradbury has a pretty killer course. Not a ton of elevation but pretty rooty and technical in spots. The majority of it is wide singletrack so it's fun and you can still pass.

The same folks who put that race on are putting on 12 hours of Millstone. I have high hopes for this course.

I also heard that the Ultimate XC race in Canada is 97% singletrack and that's a 100k race. I'm doing that one next year!

Gigantic Hawk
    As stated above, the Bradbury 12 is a solid 10-12 miles of singletrack looped over 12 hours. The Darkhorse 40 is on July 31st. It was mentioned earlier too, and it's a blast. 2 20 mile loops, a beer tent, and plenty of great flowy singletrack. Their ss race is also badass. It's very different since it's generally underwater/muddy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Wink Tamed

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    That being said 12 hours of Bradbury has a pretty killer course. Not a ton of elevation but pretty rooty and technical in spots. The majority of it is wide singletrack so it's fun and you can still pass.
    did bradbury the 1st 2 years coed duo. great course. everything that great glen is not. how that lame ass race (gg) has lasted this long is beyond me. especially if you compare it to the 24 hours of holiday farm in dalton mass. fvck was that a killer course! 4 miles mostly up, then 4 miles mostly down with a ton of one track.

only svck about bradbury is the couse got smoothed out a bit and the fact that it is no longer a real lemans start like they did it the 1st year across the street. great course to race the one speed geared up a bit.

I also heard that the Ultimate XC race in Canada is 97% singletrack and that's a 100k race. I'm doing that one next year!
    ya but dans courses aren't very much fun. not nearly enough climbing. especially his old jay race

rog

mtbr member
    It's just too difficult to have a big single loop race that is mostly singletrack in New England. Between what other people have said about the lack of continous trails, to having to coordinate the many land owners that a course like that may have to go through(i.e. the Hampshire 100), to the fact that many people won't show up if you make it a single long loop (you get better attendnce throwing a 6-24 hour race and let people do it on teams). However short lap races like Pats suck, especially if it rains and then turns to crap. 8-15 seems to be like a good distance for laps.

With all that said I would love to have a long single track race, that's what I was hoping last year at the Hampshire 100, but that didn't happen. Lots of dirt roads, the sand pit next to the airport, there were however some really fun sections of singletrack in that race so it almost came out even.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Bushwhacker,
    Have you looked at the Carrabassett Challenge in Maine? It's part of the USCAN endurance series: Carrabassett Backcountry Cycle Challenge July 24th

This probably will have more double track than you like but there big mountains and a very beautiful setting. A lot of singletrack is in the works up by Sugarloaf/Carrabassett Valley. This was the place I was thinking of when I mentioned folks wanting to showcase the area and build interest. Might be worth a trip over from VT.

Here is a link to the Carrabassett Nemba http://www.nemba.org/aboutnemba/Carrabassett.html
    its not about building singletrack,although I would love to see more built. The deal is I have already heard that Carrabassett is alot of (steep) doubletrack.

mtbr member
    It's just too difficult to have a big single loop race that is mostly singletrack in New England. Between what other people have said about the lack of continous trails, to having to coordinate the many land owners that a course like that may have to go through(i.e. the Hampshire 100)
    This sums it up well. I think with time, more single track will be available for races such as the H100. The trails are out there, but many landowners are apprehensive about opening up their land for races. Here's a breakdown of the H100 course from 2009:

Over 7000 ft of climbing, 49% double track/jeep trails, 28% single track, 11% dirt roads, 7% paved roads, 5% don't know what to call it!
    2008 Trek 69er SS
    2010 Vassago Jabberwocky SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lwebber60 View Post
    5% don't know what to call it!
    well i do. friggin railroad bed/tracks where it was impossible to get past the slow a$$ tandem teams that the organizers so brilliantly decided to let go 1st before the elites/experts. it was a fvcking $hitshow. felt like i was at a cross race through there. dismounting running over and past the tandems on both sides. probably the highest my HR got the whole damn race, and it was near the beginning. the 2008 race was hella fun tho and a few miles longer due to the bridge out due to all of the flooding. the fully rigid
    29er, baggies, and cotton t-shirt was perfect for that course. my fellow vet experts did look sexy all shaven and kit'd out tho

roadies. eat my dust.

rog

mtbr member
    well i do. friggin railroad bed/tracks where it was impossible to get past the slow a$$ tandem teams that the organizers so brilliantly decided to let go 1st before the elites/experts. it was a fvcking $hitshow. felt like i was at a cross race through there. dismounting running over and past the tandems on both sides. probably the highest my HR got the whole damn race, and it was near the beginning. the 2008 race was hella fun tho and a few miles longer due to the bridge out due to all of the flooding. the fully rigid
    29er, baggies, and cotton t-shirt was perfect for that course. my fellow vet experts did look sexy all shaven and kit'd out tho

roadies. eat my dust.
    This makes me laugh, it's so true, the sandy beach near the airport is another part of the 5%

SS 29er Rigid, yeah that's what I'm talking about!
    2008 Trek 69er SS
    2010 Vassago Jabberwocky SS

Ducks for Moose
    I didn't ride in this innaugural race last year and I haven't heard if there are plans to stage this race again this year but it looks like a lot of fun.

http://www.circumburke.org/

Not necessarily a pure single track race as the CCC road and various logging roads come into play but it gets out into the boonies of the NEK. Two laps on the 15.5 mile course with 2500' of climbing per lap sounds like fun

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I rode the course laid out for the Millstone 12 last weekend. It's gonna be super fun. Just the right mix of trails. Plenty of singletrack, with just enough wider connecting trail for passing, eating, scratching your nutz, whatever. Slightly more technical than Bradbury ( still pretty tame ), but smart choices for a 12 ( i.e. not having people falling over themselves 11 hrs in trying to ride TNT ).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lwebber60 View Post
    This makes me laugh, it's so true, the sandy beach near the airport is another part of the 5%
    mmmmm, the sand, ya, folks on 26ers were whining like little beatch's through there. 8 years ago folks laughed at me for rolling big wheels. now they're all the rage. funneh.

SS 29er Rigid, yeah that's what I'm talking about!
    actually i must confess to running an 8 speed setup for that one. 1st time racing gears since 99'. my 29er had a 34t surly ring up front with an 11-30t cheap sram 8 speed cassette out back. perfect setup. plenty tall to hang at high speeds, but light enough to grind up $hit, but not too light where you could ride at a walking pace up $hit. i'd much rather run the climbs than pedal slow, plus there's absolutely nothing better then sprinting past hordes of riders on foot while they are bobbling just to stay upright just so they can say they climbed and not walked. fvck at the jay challenge i ran the whole way up jay and still topped out in the top 10 and way ahead of the second singlespeeder running a little spinny gear. some dood cheering on at the top thought i had broken my bike till i pointed at my rear dropout. he nearly $hit himself as i hopped back on for the 2000k vert descent.

i love how the nh 100 starts out all flat and whatnot for like the 1st 3rd. folks are really smart about blowing themselves completely up on the flats and completely die once things actually become a mtb race. my goal for the start was to go just fast enough to catch the one speeders that had started 4 minutes ahead of us (brilliance again) then find the fastest that day (emile, hey bro!) and latch on for the whole 1st flat 3rd. he kept saying to me, "rog, go ahead, use those gears" as gearies were pacelining past us at big ring speed. i said, "nope, i'm gonna chill right here with you for the next hour till things turn up and the gearies slow down. worked like a fvcking charm. as soon as we hit our 1st doubletrack climb with like 2 rocks on it, the shavers were going backwards and-it-was-just-the-beginning-of-the-fun..........go time!

anybody wanna go racing? i think i may have just stoked meself back into it! maybe. guess i'd actually have to ride my bike 1st

ah memories................

great event.

rog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast