Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Who's riding 1x9 or 1x10 in VT?

I have been thinking about upgrading my current 2x9 setup to a 1x9 and adding a chain guide. My riding is almost exclusively in VT, with the downhills that make a chain guide seem like a good idea preceded by the climbs to get to the goods. I've been experimenting with attempting the climbs in only my "big" ring (32t) but can't seem to resist dropping into the granny. Anyone else made the leap? Anyone tried it then gone back to 2x9? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    I've been running 1x9 for two years now. 32T :11T-32T. I run a BBG sandwich and a Blackspire Stinger on my Kona Dawg. The bike is about 29 lbs and I ride up/down on all of the Fellowship trail networks without a problem. Early season is tough without the granny, but I honestly like the 1x9 setup better than 2x9 (which I ran for two years before making the leap to 1x9).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    been running 1x9 for a couple of seasons and agree after any long time off the bike its hard to get going again but other than that its great--started with a 34 up front but now a 32 with 11-34

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    been on 1x9 for a while, just recently made the switch to 1x10... I have a 1x10 with 11-36 cassette right now and 32t front. You definitely can't just take it easy on the climbs, you have to push it... but I think it's made me a stronger rider for sure... I ordered a 31t front from homebrew for the spring when I'm weak, but haven't put it on yet, as I played basketball to keep in shape last winter... I definitely won't go back to a 2xanything...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ride a Santa Cruz Blur LT with a 1x9 for three years now. Would not go back. Most riding is in Stowe, Morrisville and Waterbury. The simplicity is great. iRide in Stowe can set you up with a nice chain guide setup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This is great feedback, and good to hear others are not only doing it but are happy with the success. For those that have made the switch, what was the main motivating factor? Weight, simplicity, dropping chains, machismo, just something new?

There isn't necessarily anything I actively dislike about my 2x9 setup, but I'm curious about what I might be missing. I like the idea of forcing myself to become stronger, but for the same reasons I don't see myself riding a singlespeed, strength/toughness in and of itself isn't enough of a motivation for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I found that I rarely used my "granny". Less to maintain. Less shifting means I can pay more attention to my riding and the trail.

mtbr member
    I've been riding 1x9 for about 8 years in VT, first on an old blur, then and LT2. (Riding a single speed around for a while convinced me that 9 gears can get me anywhere.) I run a standard bash, 32/11-34, medium cage RD, and an N Gear Jump Stop chain guide. Despite the light weight, $10 price tag and lack of wrap-around chain retention, I VERY rarely drop a chain, maybe once every 10-15 rides. Given the fact that it never touches the chain, is lighter than anything-next to nothing, and is effective, I highly recommend it.
    1x9 is rad. You drop some weight and a fair amount of complexity, not to mention that the front derailleur shift is about the least elegant mechanical action on a mountain bike. Yeah, it can take some getting used to if you're used to a 2x, but you'll forget about it after a few rides.
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    1x8 better

1x1 betterer

rog

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I built up an older Ibis HT this winter and have been riding 1x9 for most of the season and I just converted my Cannondale Rush to 2x9 (and my wife's). We run BBG guards and on my 1x9 I run an N-Stop in place of the front deraileur. Rarely have any chain issues. Shifts like a dream. 32T Front and 11-32 in the rear. That bike is mostly a KT bike and I've ridden it in more technical areas as well and love it.

I do find myself still using the granny occasionally on the Rush at the end of a long day on some larger steep hills, but overall, I love the 1x9, I like the simplicity of it and the great shifting chainline.

mtbr member
    I am also a 1x9 on a gen 2 AL Nomad. I am in CT but I ride VT a lot.

mtbr member
    Reasons to switch:

Less weight/complexity (marginal)
    Less thinking on the trail (surprisingly significant)
    Hate the way FD shifts
    Simplifies chainline stuff
    Robust
    Forces you to spend more time out of the saddle, using different muscles, ergo a stronger rider
    Can run a mid-cage rear, faster, crisper shifts
    Plus it looks the part.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post
    Reasons to switch:

Less weight/complexity (marginal)
    Less thinking on the trail (surprisingly significant)
    Hate the way FD shifts
    Simplifies chainline stuff
    Robust
    Forces you to spend more time out of the saddle, using different muscles, ergo a stronger rider
    Can run a mid-cage rear, faster, crisper shifts
    Plus it looks the part.
    pretty much the perfect explanation of the benefits only for me it's a short cage der. he's right about the less thinking thing. You don't realize how much you think about your front der. until you don't have one it's so nice not having to deal with a stupid front der. that never seems to work as good as it should...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, I don't get it. Yesterday I was still riding while the 1 bys were walking. I'm not in better shape. I just hate to walk. To each his own, but I think it's nuts to force it on people because of the looks or because it is more core. My LBS just sold a custom build to a 250lb newbie in his 60's. He is walking up grades that my 9-year old can ride up. On the plus side though he doesn't have to worry about a stupid FD and his bike looks cooler when it's on his car.
    Last edited by epic; 08-09-2012 at 12:53 PM.

mtbr member
    I don't walk any more than I did with a 2x setup, even in the early season.

And nobody is forcing 1X's on people...shame on your LBS for pushing/selling it to a newbie though...I think it's more of a personal decision that comes with experience and learning your riding style.

mandrax21
    I ride 1x9 36 chainring and 11/32 cassette on my old 26" wheeled DMR trailstar and even though it weighs about 14.5 kg i dont think it needs any more gears, its overdue for a new chain and cassette though so might give an 11/36 a try

The only trouble i actualy do have with getting it up hill is when the back wheel wont grip on the uglier slopes when its damp and starts spinning (high roller 2.35s)

Its cool when cashing in those gravity credits on the way back down though :thumbup:

Chain drops were sorted out with a chain guide

If it was me though i would just keep it 2x9 till i find im never using the granny ring
    Last edited by mandrax21; 08-08-2012 at 08:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post
    And nobody is forcing 1X's on people...
    Not in this thread, but I get **** about my 3 chainrings virtually every time I go riding. Not that I care, but I do find it amusing.

I probably could ride 1x10. I am in my 32t 99% of my rides, and have a 34 out back. With a 36, maybe I could roll that 99.5% of the time. But I don't find a downside to having a front D. I mean maybe I drop my chain on a downhill once or twice a year. So what? Half a pedal and it's back on. I don't see the benefit to ditching the granny. I could save a few grams, but I don't think you all are the gram counting types.

Seriously though, run what you want.

mtbr member
    ^ Yeah, just tell 'em to shut up and ride. I'd never give anyone crap about riding a triple. Or a double.

1 x 10 would be sweet, I just can't justify buying new hubs, cassettes, shifters, RD, etc, but if my next bike is setup for ten, I will definitely go that route.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My 2x9 was born a 3x9 as well. I found that after the first couple hundred miles on the new bike, I had ridden in the big ring exactly 2 times, for short sections through fields at KT. Discovering BBG and seeing a few hideous pictures of mangled calves were all it took to drop my $18 and say goodbye to the big ring. I can't see going back to 3x unless I move to Kansas (which ain't gonna happen!)

beer thief
    I boke my granny ring and rode 1x9 on my Nomad for a while. I was amazed that I could pedal up some climbs that I would have thought impossible. That said, I eventually put a granny ring back on. We have some very long, very steep climbs that (for me) settling in & spinning is a better way to go. I really don't like to walk.

Bash ring in place of the big ring on all my bikes, no question.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    Yeah, I don't get it. Yesterday I was still walking while the 1 bys were walking...
    I'm thinking you mean you were still riding while the others were walking?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I rode my favorite loop last night at Carse Hills--Henry's Highlands to Preacher then back up the VAST and down Henry's. I made most of the first climb in the middle ring, but then broke down and dropped to the granny like a baby near the top. The psychic pull of the 22 is just...too...strong. Argh. Once I broke the seal, I spun in the granny most of the way back up the VAST. I'm a loser.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    I'm thinking you mean you were still riding while the others were walking?
    yeah, edit time...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    My progression away from gears was mostly that I got tired by replacing parts. Get rid of your drive train and get rid of 99 percent of your "regular" bike maintainance and expenses. Rather have a low cost, less breakable rig and walk occasion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by VtVolk View Post
    I rode my favorite loop last night at Carse Hills--Henry's Highlands to Preacher then back up the VAST and down Henry's. I made most of the first climb in the middle ring, but then broke down and dropped to the granny like a baby near the top. The psychic pull of the 22 is just...too...strong. Argh. Once I broke the seal, I spun in the granny most of the way back up the VAST. I'm a loser.
    that's a great ride, I like to go down crucible and ride pinner or (now) that new trail and take front door back up to Henry's. I don't think I could ever get up front door with just middle ring without walking, its hard enough with a granny in some spots. Always wanted to try an epic combining all carse trails with htf trails. Maybe I'll try that this year..

I've thought about going 1x10, really would still be a minimal amount of walking I'm guessing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast