Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the train keeps rollin

Who's cleaned the Sentinel Pine Climb?

Maybe my skills have dimished since the 90s, but for the life of me the steep sections Sentinel Pine climb keeps kicking my fatass..

Is it me? I got up the first rooty funkafied section, but then there's a steeper shorter pitch a little further up..

Severum, you probably wheelie up it

Maybe a duely hangs better through that rough stuff?

Black Lion
    I love that climb.
    A full suspension rig deffinately lets you keep your momentum going for sure.

Just pick clean lines and pick your points of hard efforts wisely, saving a little for the last pitch before the top.
    Voltron

fried stuff with cheese
    Only time I've done it is by doing what Greg said.
    Really slow and methodical at the bottom saving everything for the final burst at the top.
    Not an easy climb at all.
    Every time I've tried to clean it since I get hung up in the same spot...just below the top.
    Egg

the train keeps rollin

just below the top, Exactly!!

Quote Originally Posted by Locotiki
    Only time I've done it is by doing what Greg said.
    Really slow and methodical at the bottom saving everything for the final burst at the top.
    Not an easy climb at all.
    Every time I've tried to clean it since I get hung up in the same spot...just below the top.
    That the same spot that got me last time.. After making it up the first sectionthinking I was all badass,, I had no juice for that last man standing hill, hit a root and got jar'd off..

Heading out there at 3pm to try again..

New Bike in the works, damn LBS has my wheels on lockdown, waiting for spokes to come in..
    Attached Images Attached Images

SSasquatch
    No doubt that is a grunt of a climb up at the top, I make it about 50% of the time on the SS with 32:16.

Black Lion
    This shot shows the top section where I think you guys are talking about.

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg b.JPG (144.0 KB, 298 views)
    Voltron

mtbr member

Ha!

Nice picture of me, not making it.

I've never made it, but if I'm not mistaken, Greg actually made it up that day in the middle ring.

Very nice ride Snowdrifter.

customized
    Sep 2003
    I will clean it next year. I can take the bottom section if I try. The top would be easier if I didn't have to get all burned up on the lower part. I definetely have the technical skills, just not the legs. One time a year or so ago I did it with just three dabs.

I have seen about 5 people do it.

There are plans to reroute the trail (not mine) so get practicing now.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    New Bike in the works, damn LBS has my wheels on lockdown, waiting for spokes to come in..
    Who are you using for a shop?

the train keeps rollin
    S&W seem like decent folk, a little backwoods.. Goodales a ripoff!! Suggestions for future builds?

I just got back from BB, did two laps up Sentinel, then down that sweet little singletrack that runs between Sentinel and Carr Ridge, steep n narrow, smooth... fun...

The climb PIMP Slapped me both times, almost cleaned it the firt time.. I think need to lose 20-30lbs to lift my arse over dem roots...

customized
    Sep 2003
    S&W seem like decent folk, a little backwoods.. Goodales a ripoff!! Suggestions for future builds?

I just got back from BB, did two laps up Sentinel, then down that sweet little singletrack that runs between Sentinel and Carr Ridge, steep n narrow, smooth... fun...

The climb PIMP Slapped me both times, almost cleaned it the firt time.. I think need to lose 20-30lbs to lift my arse over dem roots...
    They are ok. They are on my not to go to list though. Some like them, some don't. Just push them to get stuff done if it get's hung up. I can't recommend anyone in Concord right now anyway. My friend owns a shop, but he doesn't appreciate the good word too much. I do all my own bike work... and others too.

Once you make it up Sentinal Pine, you can shoot for the toll booth side of catamount. I have heard legend of people doing that, but you have to be super fit and quite technical of a rider.

the train keeps rollin
    I tried that Catamount climb one rainy day, was fun, pushed, rode, pushed, rode.. Seemed like it would be a wicked fun descent, but with V brakes in the rain, solo, would have been foolish..

I do all my own wrenching as well, except wheels.. though I did buy a true stand the other day, and will attempt a build this winter when cabin fevor sets in..

Back on the wagon
    Maybe a duely hangs better through that rough stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by galleywench
    No doubt that is a grunt of a climb up at the top, I make it about 50% of the time on the SS with 32:16.
    I didn't make it last time, but I love that climb on my rigid 32:18 SS. Not as hard as on your rig, galley, but wicked fun just the same. I voted for that as my favorite trail at BB on that thread earlier this year.
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrimack Dave
    Nice picture of me, not making it.

I've never made it, but if I'm not mistaken, Greg actually made it up that day in the middle ring.

Very nice ride Snowdrifter.

Brian in the Picture next to Dave cleaning the climb in the middle ring. As that is all he runs!
    Voltron

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    I will clean it next year. I can take the bottom section if I try. The top would be easier if I didn't have to get all burned up on the lower part. I definetely have the technical skills, just not the legs. One time a year or so ago I did it with just three dabs.

I have seen about 5 people do it.

There are plans to reroute the trail (not mine) so get practicing now.

That climb is all about three sections.

1. The bottom you need to ease into as to not burn yourself up early. Managing your effort over the roots and ruts. Smoothness is key.
    2. The middle is all about recovering for the last effort at the top. There is a false flat section that you need to be weary of as well. Set yourself up riders left to be properly lined up for the last effort.
    3. The last section is just under all out effort to get over those rocks and roots. The good news is that you get to rest at the top. Waiting for all your bros.

When you look at the climb in this way it really isn't that hard.
    Voltron

the train keeps rollin

Who's riding Sunday, and where??

Game on..

Was checking out that rock on Carr Ridge you and Greg did during the group ride awhile back.. That was dope on the rigid SS The drop was so burly, but the transition into was fricken squirly, props to u 2.. I was like, ummm, maybe next time.

Black Lion
    Game on..

Was checking out that rock on Carr Ridge you and Greg did during the group ride awhile back.. That was dope on the rigid SS The drop was so burly, but the transition into was fricken squirly, props to u 2.. I was like, ummm, maybe next time.
    which rock Son?
    Voltron

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    That climb is all about three sections......... When you look at the climb in this way it really isn't that hard.
    I am actually quite intimate with the climb as I see most of it in my slow state and as I don't get out enough, I frequent Bear Brook often.

Not that this is why I don't finish it, but on large group rides that I am sweeping (as I usually do), I tend to have to ride around or stall to wait for someone to get out of the way. If you want a challenge, stay at the back and not have a clear climb the whole way.

When you look at the climb in this way it isn't really that easy..

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    I am actually quite intimate with the climb as I see most of it in my slow state and as I don't get out enough, I frequent Bear Brook often.

Not that this is why I don't finish it, but on large group rides that I am sweeping (as I usually do), I tend to have to ride around or stall to wait for someone to get out of the way. If you want a challenge, stay at the back and not have a clear climb the whole way.

Thats why I charge up that climb on every ride we do out there.
    Voltron

Back on the wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by severum
    If you want a challenge, stay at the back and not have a clear climb the whole way.

I'll have to try that next time. I think you get style points for stalling, right? That's what Suresh always said anyways. Did you hosers get my PM?
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
    I'll have to try that next time. I think you get style points for stalling, right? That's what Suresh always said anyways. Did you hosers get my PM?
    Style, that is what I got then.

I got the pm. Thanks. I have been wearing a lot of the Icebreaker brand. Great stuff.

mtbr member
    Where is this climb?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    Where is this climb?
    It's near the beginning of the Sentinal Pines trail on the 1 mile road end, at Bear Brook.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrimack Dave
    It's near the beginning of the Sentinal Pines trail on the 1 mile road end, at Bear Brook.
    OK, this is the VT, NH and ME forum... can you be a little more specific on where 1 mile road at Bear Brook is?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

the train keeps rollin
    Bear Brook Park in NH, about 10 miles east of Concord.. Good Stuff..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast