mtbr member

Who is in for the Turkey Burner?

It has been close to 10 years since I have done the FOMBA Turkey Burner so I figure it is time to do it again. Note, it has not been 10 years since I have ridden there, just not done the Turkey Burner.

mtbr member
    Put me down as a definite maybe. Weather looks like it'll cooperate though!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Any updates on snow from Wednesday?
    wow, this hurts more than it used to.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Commenting with the same inquiry. Game on tomorrow? Manchester isn't buried in snow right?
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Can't believe the weather you FOMBA guys get this time of year. Awesome ride!
    (except for some runt in a ridiculous green costume trying to race)
    Big thanks to the Fire Dept out there with midway refreshments. Only 8 bucks to register, and support these guys, the park, and FOMBA? I'd have gladly paid more.
    Alternate lot parkers and event poachers should be ashamed.
    Hope to see you all again next year!

mtbr member
    Yeah, unbelievable weather we got. Past 3 years was either bitter cold, raining or snowing. This year, we were greeted with perfect Fall riding weather.

2009 Giant Trance X3
    2010 Giant Trance X2

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Canoeguy

The Turkeyburner was great ! Thanks to EFTA and the Auburn fire department for running a great ride. The "runt" referred to above rode by me like it was a race and then unknowingly mouthed off to on of my friends about my riding like he is some kind of superstar. He was one of the jerks mentioned that did not pay and parked in the alternative lot. Both he and his buddy wear cute matching outfits when they ride and drive around in a car with Mtman on the plate. It is very rare to run into a mountain biker with an attitude and we don't need guys like this giving us a bad name!

mtbr member
    Great event! My first time at a large scale mtb gathering. I did not run into the "runt" above but instead saw lots of other courteous riders on the trails. I passed a few, and more than a few passed me. Everyone would cheer each other along when a tough climb approached. There's nothing more satisfying than nailing a climb when a bunch of onlookers are critiquing your line from the top.

My group of 4 started off in the wrong direction. We made it around the lake all the way to the hot chocolate stand before realizing we might have gone the wrong way for the "hero" course. With 8 miles of fast riding double track already on our legs, we made our way to "Fire Line" and started the single-track course from there. Meanwhile people with fresh legs were flying by us like superstars. We ran "Woodpecker" and "Hemlock" (skipping long trail) after "Fire Line". I had to be home for 1:00 so I headed back via the rail trail. Total distance for me was 18 miles. Two others in my group ended up riding what we called the "super hero" by combining both loops for a 25 mile ride!

mtbr member
    That runt is me and I was in no way trying to race. If someone is coming up on you fast and you are slow the nice thing to do is to MOVE and let them past. The only guy I made a comment on was some dude in a full face helmet who kept spinning out, putting his foot down, and blocking the trail. It took him 2-3 minutes to finally figure out he was holding up about 4 people. My intent was not to offend anyone, but when there are 100's of people out there trying to ride the same trails slower riders should move over and let faster riders pass. And there is nothing wrong with parking at Depot Rd and riding the singletrack, it is a public area, I have given Jack Chapman a lot of my money over the years and it is my choice to give him more or not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canoeguy View Post
    The Turkeyburner was great ! Thanks to EFTA and the Auburn fire department for running a great ride. The "runt" referred to above rode by me like it was a race and then unknowingly mouthed off to on of my friends about my riding like he is some kind of superstar. He was one of the jerks mentioned that did not pay and parked in the alternative lot. Both he and his buddy wear cute matching outfits when they ride and drive around in a car with Mtman on the plate. It is very rare to run into a mountain biker with an attitude and we don't need guys like this giving us a bad name!
    Your first post on these forums and you rip into me and my brother and know my old license plate, so you obviously know who I am...or at least think you do.

Just to clarify my car no longer has that plate, my brother was not there on Friday, and if you have a problem with me come find me and talk to me face to face.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm far from taking sides but while the Turkey Burner and others like it are fundraisers for a great cause (and we participate when we can by paying and parking in the correct lot) but it's not the only use of the area on any given day. Asking the entire world to stay away from their riding areas because someone is hosting a pay-to-ride event is like having a birthday party at a restaurant and being mad because other patrons didn't bring a present.

We have all been to races and seen other riders on the course, sometimes going the other way but everyone needs to remember that holding private events at publicly-owned venues makes it a "suggestion" to pay up and participate.

CanoeGuy,. it seems like you have a little more than just an axe to grind here, knowing this guys former tag number kinda paints a picture for me... I hate anonymous call outs online.
    wow, this hurts more than it used to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    We had a great time out there! Thanks FOMBA. You dudes rock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I had no prior ax to grind with offrhodes42. When i finished riding fireline my friend who was riding behind me and passed me at the same time offrhodes did said that he made derogatory comments to my friend about me. The rest of my group said he continued the comments in front of the group of riders at the end of fireline, Specifically identifying the guy in the green full-faced-that would be me. To be clear, the first i realized that he was behind me,he said "on-the-right" and i immediately pulled over and let him by-albeit on the left-my bad. He and my friend were the only two that went by as there was noone else behind. I was surprised to hear that he was bad-mouthing me and so too were my friends. One of my friends said that he was the same person we had seen at Franklin Falls a couple of weeks earlier which is where i noticed his plate. One of my friend's forwarded the post by prettybike above and that is when i thought i should express my dismay. So, no prior ax to grind. I can put this behind me and buy him a beer if he is interested !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canoeguy View Post
    I had no prior ax to grind with offrhodes42. When i finished riding fireline my friend who was riding behind me and passed me at the same time offrhodes did said that he made derogatory comments to my friend about me. The rest of my group said he continued the comments in front of the group of riders at the end of fireline, Specifically identifying the guy in the green full-faced-that would be me. To be clear, the first i realized that he was behind me,he said "on-the-right" and i immediately pulled over and let him by-albeit on the left-my bad. He and my friend were the only two that went by as there was noone else behind. I was surprised to hear that he was bad-mouthing me and so too were my friends. One of my friends said that he was the same person we had seen at Franklin Falls a couple of weeks earlier which is where i noticed his plate. One of my friend's forwarded the post by prettybike above and that is when i thought i should express my dismay. So, no prior ax to grind. I can put this behind me and buy him a beer if he is interested !
    I think your friend probably took my "smack talk" more to heart than it was meant. Everyone I ride with on regular basis "smack talks". And to be clear the only thing I remember I said at the end of Fireline was to one of the guys I was riding with and it was "Did you get stuck behind the guy in the full face helmet too? He was really slowing me down". If more than that came out I will be the first to say sorry and also lighten up Francis. I like brown ales.