mtbr member
    May 2010

White Mountains Riding?

Hi all, I am interested in doing some riding in the White Mountains. I have ridden the Red Tail Trail which was awesome, but I was interested in some other trails. Can anyone recommend a good resource with trail maps?

Thanks!

beer thief
    Mountain Cycle Guide Service produces a Conway area map that is pretty good. Even the latest edition is somewhat out of date, as much of the east side trail network (now legit) is not on it. We are also working with Mt. Cranmore to put trail easements on a couple of trails on their property which are also not on the current map. These maps are available at any local bike shop and at the WMNF Saco District ranger station at the east end of the Kanc (Rt 112). A Rob Brook area map is also available FWIW. All hiking trails except the AT and those in designated Wilderness areas are also open to bikes. While many of these are not well-suited for MTBs, there are some exceptions, especially if you're willing to hike-a-bike for gnarly descents.

In the Franconia area, they have been working to put more of their trails on a map. Check with the chamber of commerce or Big Ring Bob's bike shop located at the Franconia Inn.

mtbr member
    Rob - how much riding is there around the Franconia area and how would you describe it? Thanks.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Mountain Cycle Guide Service produces a Conway area map that is pretty good. Even the latest edition is somewhat out of date, as much of the east side trail network (now legit) is not on it. We are also working with Mt. Cranmore to put trail easements on a couple of trails on their property which are also not on the current map. These maps are available at any local bike shop and at the WMNF Saco District ranger station at the east end of the Kanc (Rt 112). A Rob Brook area map is also available FWIW. All hiking trails except the AT and those in designated Wilderness areas are also open to bikes. While many of these are not well-suited for MTBs, there are some exceptions, especially if you're willing to hike-a-bike for gnarly descents.

In the Franconia area, they have been working to put more of their trails on a map. Check with the chamber of commerce or Big Ring Bob's bike shop located at the Franconia Inn.
    the map is nearly useless with out signs.......

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    how we do it in nh. the riding is too good to make it straightforward to find/link up.

keeps the quebexican invasion in check.

rog

mtbr member

White Mountains Riding?

If you want some good riding that is mapped out, signed, and built by people who love to ride than come on up to Gorham, Moose Brook State Park. Not only are we not snobby about our trails, we encourage people to travel here to enjoy the hard work that we have put in for EVERYONE to enjoy. You can get a map at the park, or online here http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/..._Trail-Map.pdf . There is plenty of other riding too, but this should give you a good start.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    The entire west side aka Moat network in the WMNF was signed last summer so it's very easy to navigate. We are working on mapping the east side and the Conway town manager scored a grant to fund trail signs, so most of that network will be on a future map and signed.

Rog may be a snob but the locals are not. We have given many tours and will continue to do so. Like many areas in New England, parts of the trail systems are often on private land and until the land owners give their blessing those trails cannot be put on maps and signed.

Moose Brook is a lot of fun and they have a great crew of folks up there also. We get along just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Rob - how much riding is there around the Franconia area and how would you describe it? Thanks.
    Scott - over 50 miles of mostly old school R&R type stuff. A lot of it is fairly technical, rooty, off-camber - very fun. Richard from Franconia Inn and Big Ring Bob are super nice guys and often willing to give a tour.

mtbr member

White Mountains Riding?

It's too bad about the bear snacking on those signs, too. They look great though, now with a bit of character.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    It's too bad about the bear snacking on those signs, too. They look great though, now with a bit of character.
    Yeah, those bastards have been chewing on them like after dinner mints

mtbr member

White Mountains Riding?

That is why I personally pee on all of our signs, lol. It's not a territorial thing, I swear.

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    That is why I personally pee on all of our signs, lol. It's not a territorial thing, I swear.
    I imagine that cuts down on sign theft as well.......
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am going to be at Sunday River for the first week in August and plan to get over to Gorham to check out out that Moose Brook park, thanks for the info.

How is the terrain over at Great Glenn? I know they have the 24 hour race there, but I don't know how good the trails are. I rode my bike around the carriage trails about 5 years ago when my kids were just starting to bike, never got into the woods.

mtbr member

White Mountains Riding?

Great glen doesn't really have much single track, short little bits. I'm around mid week, inbox me if you want a guide.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Schott, thanks for the reply and offer. I may take you up on the offer of some mid week riding, and if not this time then another time. I spend a lot of time in Bethel.

How are the trails at Moose Brook? 12 and 14 year old boy friendly? Singletrack? Brutal climbs or reasonable? If not suitable for my kids I'll head over myself, but I'd rather bring them if they can handle it. My kids are physically fit but still working on their mtb skills. They ride a lot of short up and down singletrack with me that has some obstacles thrown in and they do OK. I don't they could handle rigorous climbing, like climbing the top of Sunday River. They do like going downhill We'd probably head over to Moose Brook and look for a 90 minute loop.

Thanks for info on Great Glen, I was under the impression they had a decent xc network built out, but I guess not? I'll head to Moose Brook instead.

mtbr member

White Mountains Riding?

It's a little climby, but not too bad. There is a double track that could be climbed to gain the elevation, but the single track climbs really well. Nothing too awful techy either. I'd think they'll do fine.

mtbr member

White Mountains Riding?

I've been working on getting some trails into strava, too...if you want to check out elevation profiles.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I ended up exploring Moose Brook with my wife and kids. Pretty decent spot! I will definitely head back there to rip around some more. I enjoyed the nature a lot and the trails we rode were nice, but i missed some stuff i wanted to see. It was only about 25 minutes from Bethel,ME so I'll get over there more often.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hey Rob, Jason here - we rode a few years back in Conway after I gave you a tour of Bachelor Street en rout home from out west. I'll be in Waterville Valley to ride Sept. 13-15. Any good riding in Waterville Valley? Drop a PM if you prefer. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    How about any place to ride a fat bike in the snow? I just joined the Moonlander club and looking for places in the Whites to take it this winter. I know some places are off-limits and don't want to step on anybody's snowshoes...

mtbr member

White Mountains Riding?

Lots...actually. Moose brook, I mentioned earlier, sees a lot of snowshoe traffic, so the riding there is awesome. The north country is riddled with both single pass, and groomed snow machine trails, too. Once there is frozen ground and enough snow for them to be active, you can go anywhere. One on the list for this winter is an overnight at Zealand hut.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So is a good rule to follow, that if it is not a dedicated ski trail then it's ok to ride on?

mtbr member

White Mountains Riding?

No, not necessarily. For instance, Milan Hill State Park is groomed for skiing, classic and skate, by Nansen Ski Club (the oldest ski club in America). Biking is allowed there, but you need to respect conditions. NEMBA set guidelines for winter riding etiquette. If you are leaving a track, somebody will complain. But if its below freezing, the sun isn't on it too hard, the groomer hasn't just churned it up, then you won't leave a trace. I find that riding at night solves a lot of these problems. I don't ride on the groomed stuff too much anyway, I like the snomo trails in the woods. But conditions for riding are almost always better at night.

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"