Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005

Where in Vermont would you start an Xterra?

So I'm tossing around the possibility of starting an Xterra in Northern VT. The qualifications are:
    (1) swimmable body of water, enough to do a 1km swim
    (2) mountain biking with a combination of double and singletrack, but not super technical. Xterra races tend to be much less technical than mtb races and I don't want to scare everyone away with a super tough course. The bike leg will be about 20k.

The only place that I know would work so far is Indian Brook in Essex, where they used to have Race the Rez. There was also a Sugarbush Xterra in '09, but a snowmaking pond swim is less than ideal.

Can anyone think of any other locations that could work? Does Little River State Park, have any real mtbing or is it all fire roads? Is there any swimmable body of water near Millstone?

mtbr member
    The Xterra Stoaked in Hanover, NH will not continue past this year (it was last weekend) as the race director is stepping away. It's a fun race, I've done it the past two years. There is an opportunity to continue it if anyone wants to take the reins. The course is great, though parts could be better IMHO.

Otherwise I don't know much about Northern VT.....but I've been swimming in Lake Willoughby and that was nice.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, I was at Stoaked this past weekend and have been talking to the RD, which is why this has come up. I would prefer to run a race closer to home though. It's over an hour and a half to Hanover for me. I have a volunteer and participant base that I could rally around here, but not so much down there.

mtbr member
    Myself and at least one other buddy hope to do an Xterra next year, families in tow. I've been doing these for years and my friend just did his first last weekend. Right now we are planning on the Sky High since that seems to be the only other game around. I'll be very interested to see what you are able to pull together. Good Luck and please make the run a true technical, or at least singletrack, trail run, unlike the Stoaked!

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Not to get too far off topic, but I actually much preferred the Stoaked run to Sky High's run, which just felt like a rock scramble to me. I agree that ideally it would be somewhat technical, rooty and a bit rocky, but Sky High is complete overkill and it's damn near impossible to actually run. I'm shocked no one twisted an ankle...

An Xterra is a delicate balance because I want technical, but I know that it scares a lot of people away if it's too tough on the bike (especially the road triathletes that want to do one Xterra just for fun). I think that Stoaked actually had a good balance on the bike with a good amount of non-technical climbing, mixed in with some singletrack later on.

It really comes down to where I can find to run the event though. There is so much good mountain biking up here, but there just aren't big enough bodies of water near most of it.

mtbr member
    Interesting to hear about the Sky High run....I really know almost nothing about the race. Sounds like the runs at the two races are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Yes I agree that the Stoaked bike leg was an excellent Xterra course.

Best of luck - hope it works out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    lake dunmore? swim in the lake (already have triathlons there) then do leicester hollow / chandler ridge loop on the mtb?

or silver lake, then you don't have to climb up to the trails from dunmore?

little river would be cool, but there isn't enough riding i'd think. and the single track connector is still 'under development' - been that way for a long time.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Dunmore/Silver Lake definitely looks like it could be a possibility. Have you ever ridden there? Is it a good loop for riding? Also, it looks like Chandler Ridge may be closed for mtbing...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum1321 View Post
    Dunmore/Silver Lake definitely looks like it could be a possibility. Have you ever ridden there? Is it a good loop for riding? Also, it looks like Chandler Ridge may be closed for mtbing...
    going there this weekend. wife has done tris in the lake and on the road.

chandler is open for riding.

see this:
    http://www.bikekinetix.com/t_vt/vt_s...dler_ridge.php

and this:
    Leister Hollow / Chandler Ridge

might be a little short, so depending on how you get up there and back.

they used it on this race:
    GMARA: The Bitter Pill

Moderator Moderator
    I thought an xterra was a car, but oh yeah, make 'em take a swim in the quarries at Millstone! The only approved swimming is at Jones Bros South quarry, but 1 K would be do-able, but would require "laps". Even better if you could get the OK to swim at the big Rock of Ages quarry.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Ok, cool - I had seen some other sites like the USFS site that said it wasn't open for riding. I'll try and check it out soon.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    I figured that Millstone wouldn't work because of the swim...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Warren is finishing up a 4-5 mile beginner loop at blueberry lake, and the lake would be perfect for the swim. If you are looking for non-technical MTB, the trails in combination with some of the dirt road's around there would work pretty well. There's even the Blue Berry lake cross country ski center a mile away...might be able to utilize their system for some more miles of doubletrack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    First time poster here. This thread finally got me off the fence.
    It's disapointing to hear that Stoaked may be no longer. Did the race last year and enjoyed it. Couldn't make it this year but planned to return in 2013; bummer it may not be held.

Did Sky High this year and liked this one too. Coming from a running background I much preferred the Sky High run over the one at Stoaked (I could make up more time on the techy Sky High course). Each had their merits and, given the chance, I'd do both again.

When I did my first Xterra (Stoaked 2011) I was disappointed to find so few of them around. I'm in ME. None to be had in ME, MA, CT or RI. One each in NH (Stoaked) and VT (Rez - I gather this one wasn't held this year). Traveled to NY for Sky High (5 hour drive). Would love to see more of these races in New England.

Unlike road tri's the # of entries at Xterras just don't compete. A sprint road tri after a few years (with good management - and sometimes even without it) can bring in 200+. An Xterra, maybe you get 100. I try to spread the word about how much fun I think the Xterras are but it seems some folks don't want to get their bikes dirty.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, it's tough because there really is a very small subset of triathletes that want to do them. You just don't get a whole lot of crossover between the mtb crowd and triathlete crowd in the Northeast it seems. I also think that most of the RDs don't do a great job of promoting them. The other problem is that most of the venues just can't handle much more than 100 ppl or so.

You're right that Race the Rez was gone this year and they have no intentions of bringing it back. If the Town of Essex is willing to work with me, that is definitely a possibility for the race. The other option appears to be Silver Lake. I've been talking to some people that are pretty involved in the MTB scene up here and have worked with some of the past Xterras that failed, so time will tell if it actually happens. I will only run the race if it will at the very worst break even.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    If we could use some of the xc ski trails then that would certainly be a possibility as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If we could use some of the xc ski trails then that would certainly be a possibility as well.
    You might want to hit 'quote' when replying to specific messages so that people can follow the conversation...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Waterbury Reservoir to Trapp Family Lodge trails. They are connected by way dirt road, a 100 yard paved section, and then a long dirt road uphill to the lodge and its trail system. The trails are not technical, really fun, and have single/doubletrack.

You could also try the swim at the Lake Mansfield Trout Club, but I doubt that would work.

Other swim/bike options:
    smugglers notch/underhill and sterling pond
    waterbury reservoir/perry hill trails (much harder than Trapps)
    lake elmore/doubletrack and class IV roads with a little singletrack thrown in
    Little Hosmer pond/Craftsbury outdoor center (likely the easiest option to make a reality--I know a guy who works there who does or used to do the Xterra events, too)
    Welcome to Craftsbury Outdoor Center :: Entry Page (No Flash Player)
    Last edited by elmoreman; 08-16-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: other ideas

mtbr member
    I am glad you are looking into a VT Xterra event. We need to get a series back in the Northeast. I too contemplate taking over Stoaked, but it is 1hr away from me and I have other options much closer to home. My goal is to get a NH Xterra on the schedule for next summer, it just may be in September which would make it part of the 2014 points series.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by elmoreman View Post
    Waterbury Reservoir to Trapp Family Lodge trails. They are connected by way dirt road, a 100 yard paved section, and then a long dirt road uphill to the lodge and its trail system. The trails are not technical, really fun, and have single/doubletrack.

You could also try the swim at the Lake Mansfield Trout Club, but I doubt that would work.

Other swim/bike options:
    smugglers notch/underhill and sterling pond
    waterbury reservoir/perry hill trails (much harder than Trapps)
    lake elmore/doubletrack and class IV roads with a little singletrack thrown in
    Little Hosmer pond/Craftsbury outdoor center (likely the easiest option to make a reality--I know a guy who works there who does or used to do the Xterra events, too)
    Welcome to Craftsbury Outdoor Center :: Entry Page (No Flash Player)
    Based on the map, it looks like it would be at least 2 miles of road each way from the pond to Trapps. It seems like we would need to do 2 transition areas to make it feasible, which I really want to avoid.

Sterling Pond would be really difficult since it's a mile hike up to the pond with no car access.
    Waterbury Rez isn't close enough to Perry Hill to really be feasible.
    Craftsbury is a bit too far off the beaten path. I would think it would be difficult to draw a decent crowd from the Boston area that far north. It's even a bit far from Burlington to really draw that crowd.

I think Dunmore/Silver Lake or Indian Brook seem like the most viable options.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    That would be awesome if you could get one going too. It's been really sad watching them die off around here the past few years. Hopefully we can revitalize the series a bit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Based on the map, it looks like it would be at least 2 miles of road each way from the pond to Trapps. It seems like we would need to do 2 transition areas to make it feasible, which I really want to avoid.

Sterling Pond would be really difficult since it's a mile hike up to the pond with no car access.
    Waterbury Rez isn't close enough to Perry Hill to really be feasible.
    Craftsbury is a bit too far off the beaten path. I would think it would be difficult to draw a decent crowd from the Boston area that far north. It's even a bit far from Burlington to really draw that crowd.

I think Dunmore/Silver Lake or Indian Brook seem like the most viable options.
    For Dunmore folks can camp right there... and there is stuff to do if families are hanging out.
    My wife did the Vermont Sun Tri there, I played with the little one at the beach and in the park. There would be a short road ride to the trailhead if you go up the Falls of Lana trail. Not sure how steep or technical it is. A double track, from what I understand, 1.5 miles or so. Then you could do the chandler / leicester loop.

Silver lake is a bit of a hike in. From the east there is a parking area but you have to hike in 1/2 mile or more I think.

Will report back after this weekend if things go off like I plan.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    I am glad you are looking into a VT Xterra event. We need to get a series back in the Northeast. I too contemplate taking over Stoaked, but it is 1hr away from me and I have other options much closer to home. My goal is to get a NH Xterra on the schedule for next summer, it just may be in September which would make it part of the 2014 points series.
    Great news re: a potential NH Xterra in the fall. I'd be stoked to do two races next year. How about Pawtuckaway for a venue?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
    Great news re: a potential NH Xterra in the fall. I'd be stoked to do two races next year. How about Pawtuckaway for a venue?
    Pawtuckaway is an option, but for me Clough and Bear Brook are both much closer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    Pawtuckaway is an option, but for me Clough and Bear Brook are both much closer.
    Those would be great. Really hope it works out!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast