Public Figure

Where to ride (Johnson State College)

Looking for trails near Johnson State College. Tell me everything you know

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Really?

If you can find, attend or work at JSC (congrats, by the way), you could find the search button here. You could find the Vermont Mountain Bike Association and locate the clubs. A map is then your friend.

You will find that you are central to many, many great riding opportunities.

And, an intro to yourself, what you like to ride, what you ride and a friendly hello will probably get you personally invited on a number of rides...getting you exactly what you are looking for...instead of "Tell me everything you know".
    2004 GF Cake 2DLX

Public Figure
    Quote Originally Posted by NW_Vermont View Post
    And, an intro to yourself, what you like to ride, what you ride and a friendly hello will probably get you personally invited on a number of rides...getting you exactly what you are looking for...instead of "Tell me everything you know".
    You're right, I could have spent a little more time on that...

Anyway, I really like Johnson State as a school. I'm from CT and mountain biking is going to play a major role in where I choose to go to college. I'm into riding XC/AM stuff. Basically, I'm wondering if there's any websites where I can find maps and trail information. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Have you visited Johnson? Will you have a car?

XC/AM is what "we" specialize in.

Work hard, play hard. Bust your butt in school and play hard to keep the ol' noggin fresh for the next round of butt-bustin'.

Will you be spending summers here? You're obviously no stranger to the northeast climate, but your main (traditional) single track riding times will be August until maybe the end of October (snow and/or hunters) and things don't thaw out until mid-April, generally. Of course there is wintertime snowbike riding and endless gravel back roads... I'm going on a back-road ride this afternoon with my son out my door!

The clubs local to Johnson rarely post maps and specific trail descriptions on line. I'd bet that is to help manage and protect their trails and is sometimes at private-landowner request. You will, however, find lots of info here. Check Brewster River Mountain Bike Club (Cambridge/Lamoille County), Stowe Mountain bike club and a recent post on the trails at Cady's Falls (Hyde Park or Morristown). Check VMBA chapters.

More questions?
    2004 GF Cake 2DLX

Public Figure
    I haven't visited yet , but am looking forward to visiting. They have quite a nice setup online to view the campus and get some info on the town. I'll have a car so getting around shouldn't be a problem. I'll be coming back to CT for the summers. As long as there's plenty of trails nearby, I'll be good. I guess the best way to find people/routes is to get out and ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I don't know your background/perspective, so understand that Johnson is a small town of whatever population that wikipedia says. It is quite rural. Once you understand and accept that, see that you are surrounded by excellent mountain biking, hiking, skiing (Jay Peak, Smuggler's Notch and Stowe are closest-PM me for deals) and whatever other eastern outdoors pursuits you wish to, uh, pursue...

NW
    2004 GF Cake 2DLX

Public Figure
    Quote Originally Posted by NW_Vermont View Post
    I don't know your background/perspective, so understand that Johnson is a small town of whatever population that wikipedia says. It is quite rural. Once you understand and accept that, see that you are surrounded by excellent mountain biking, hiking, skiing (Jay Peak, Smuggler's Notch and Stowe are closest-PM me for deals) and whatever other eastern outdoors pursuits you wish to, uh, pursue...

NW
    My kind of place
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    AWESOME bike park in Johnson. Best Dirt Jumping around, public park, Skate park. Great trail riding in Morrisville at Cady's Falls 10 minutes away. Great whitewater boating in and around Johnson. Great fishing and hiking. Within 30 minutes you can be in Jeffersonville, Stowe, Montgomery Center....all have great riding. A car would be a great thing to have.

Public Figure
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    AWESOME bike park in Johnson. Best Dirt Jumping around, public park, Skate park. Great trail riding in Morrisville at Cady's Falls 10 minutes away. Great whitewater boating in and around Johnson. Great fishing and hiking. Within 30 minutes you can be in Jeffersonville, Stowe, Montgomery Center....all have great riding. A car would be a great thing to have.
    Thanks for the info. Just watched this video Johnson Pumptrack and Dirt Jumps on Vimeo
    How far from the campus is the park? It looks awesome, may have to buy a DJ

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Me too! The park is riding distance from campus. I'm still digging on the Yuenglin name-dropping rhymes!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    A mile or less. Fun spot.

Public Figure
    Visited the school the other day. #1 as of now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    cady falls in Hyde Park is awesome!