mtbr member
    May 2011

Where are my local trails? (Southern NH)

Hello, I just returned to Hollis, NH- where I was born and raised. I've spent the last seven years living and riding in Western North Carolina and, most recently, the high rockies of Colorado. Now that I'm home, I'm psyched to explore New England. So I was hoping for some advice...

First: Where are my local trails? I'd love to be able to hop in my car, drive less than an hour, and have a sweet place to ride.

Second: What's worth the long drive? I'm planning at least one trip. I've heard that the Northeast kingdom is the place to go. Comments, ideas?

About me: I ride an Ibis HD 160. I love big climbs and long descents. I love technical roots and rocks and what have you. I also like to flow with the topo.... I don't mind loooong hike a bike sections. I'm all about the 3+ hour rides. (Eight hours is good, too!) But, i'd also be interested in some shorter loops for busy days. I like epic adventures and maps....... I'd also love to ride with you-- I have a very open schedule. Thanks for your input!

JDM
    mtbr member
    Woodsguy has a google map of trailheads in MA, southern NH and Northern CT.:
    Southern New England Mountain Bike Trails - Google Maps

I copied his idea and made a map of trailheads in Central NH: ****************trailheads

NEMBA is a great place to look for group rides: weekly_rides

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks!
    I'll check it all out.

I'd Huck That....

places to ride

whats up,
    You need to check out Yudicky it's right down the road in Nashua. Not a huge place, but some nice trails and features.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Here's a few fairly close for you: (had all the trail map links, but wouldnt let me post,sorry)
    Yudicky
    map at nashua.gov

Tucker Brook, Milford
    trail map at town of milford Conservation Commission website

Russell Mill, Chelmsford, MA
    Map at NEMBA riding zone

FOMBA trails Auburn, NH
    Easy google

Grater Woods, Merriimack (Red Elft, Salamander, Millipede)
    do a google search, pops right up

Horse Hill, Merrimack

same

Should get you started!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldiemouldy View Post
    Here's a few fairly close for you: (had all the trail map links, but wouldnt let me post,sorry)
    Yudicky
    map at nashua.gov

Tucker Brook, Milford
    trail map at town of milford Conservation Commission website

Russell Mill, Chelmsford, MA
    Map at NEMBA riding zone

FOMBA trails Auburn, NH
    Easy google

Grater Woods, Merriimack (Red Elft, Salamander, Millipede)
    do a google search, pops right up

Horse Hill, Merrimack

same

Should get you started!
    you post russel mill, and fomba and not lowell/dracut? LDTF has WAY more and better riding than russell mill. If you wanna ride ALL the trails in 45 minutes, russell mill is the place....
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Greenfield, NH, we have about 50 miles of trails, mostly single track. We don't have trail maps due to landowner request, but we have group rides, every Tuesday and Thursday at 5:30 pm

Keene, NH, Drummer Hill, another great trail network. Summer's Backcountry carried maps, but they are closed now, so I'm not sure where to get them. Keene probably isn't within a one hour drive from Hollis, but it's worth the drive

Ascutney, VT, Trail maps are available at the Brownsville General Store, great climbs, and nice downhills

The list could go on and on, many hidden gems out there!
    Last edited by lwebber60; 08-24-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Erroneous Information
    2008 Trek 69er SS
    2010 Vassago Jabberwocky SS

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    you post russel mill, and fomba and not lowell/dracut? LDTF has WAY more and better riding than russell mill. If you wanna ride ALL the trails in 45 minutes, russell mill is the place....
    Yep, my bad-but I was trying to list spots within about 40 min of Hollis, since the request was for "drive less than an hour...". And I plumb forgot LDTF. The frustrating thing was copying and pasting links to the relevant trail maps and then finding that that's not allowed unless you have 10 posts. Kind of ran out of steam after that.
    By the way, I'm old and slow, but to hit all the trails at Russell Mill is closer to 2 hours for me, and worth a look for someone new to the area who likes rocks, roots and drops, IMHO.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for all you effort, everyone. I rode a loop at Beaver Brook in Hollis yesterday and included a climb up to Birch hill. About as long of a loop as I could create in this town-- maybe an hour and forty five minutes? Some really cool singletrack, though.

Now I'm off to look for something new!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I know places where you could easily get in a 4 hour loop. no maps though 95% single track. I have a mojo HD on order myself, the wait is killing me. Pm me sometime, I can show ya around. I know of 3 places within 45 min of nash that you can do a 20-25 mile loop
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    massabesic woods.... awesome place. just rode there saturday afternoon before the rain. can't wait to get back there.

LOL WUT?
    Betty Mack Trail in Londonderry isnt too far from you and is definitely worth checking out. It was my local trail growing up and there is a lot to explore if it hasnt changed much. I think its a hidden gem.

Franklin falls dam is probably worth the drive
    Kingdom trails is about 2.5 hours drive for you, and is totally worth it if you have a full day.

see me rollin, they hatin
    i live 5 min from Yudicky. awesome stuff, but not a lot of it. i'd say 9 miles of single track if you do both sides of road. you are in Hollis, which has Beaver Brook. the problem with that place is, some of the trails dont want mountain bikers. thats why i've gone at night, haha. i think if you stay off the trails around the pond, and head up back, up the hills, you're good.

as others said, Russell mill (super fun and flowy, not a ton of trails)
    Lowell Dracut, a bit more technical, but i can ride it, so its not super tech.
    Bear brook, a little over an hour from you.
    Hampstead NH has a lot of fun trails
    Mine Falls nashua, if you want super easy fast tooling around.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006