mtbr member

What's your favorite place(s) to ride in Maine?

I'll go first. Bradbury is my favorite on the weekends only because I don't know of anywhere else with the same quantity of trails that's only 30 minutes away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    clifford

sinner
    Jan 2007
    Mt Waldo
    Camden
    Presque Isle
    Orono
    Carabassett Valley

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Clifford park is a favorite place will whip your tech skills in to check...
    Bradbury is fun if youdont go all the time...
    favorite though? i think is portland area trails. hook up with an allspeed group ride let em show you round..
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

the train keeps rollin
    isn't Orono paved bike paths?
    beaver hunt

sinner
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    Yes. You would not believe how hard they are.

mtbr member
    I also go to Libby Hills trails in Gray a lot since its its only 10 minutes from my house. I Guess there are some trails at Range Pond state park which is about 20 minutes away so I may check those out this week.

I don't wear a watch.
    Paved with roots.

mtbr member
    Mt waldo gets my vote.
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

Got A Lust for Life...
    You are just being a penis aren't you?
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Bradbury
    Libbey Hill
    Mt Apetite
    Range Pond
    Portland but the only ride I did with Allspeed was 100% xc with very little technical,,,,,but FAAAAAAAAST

mtbr member
    Went to Libby Hill after work and got the crap kicked out of me and my bike on the outback trail which is nothing but roots and HUGE chunk. Spent lots of time falling and walking.

Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    Mt waldo gets my vote.
    Do you think Mt Waldo is worth a 2 hour drive north for me? from what I can find it only has 2 miles of trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Range Pond

Because its only 15 min. from my house and I helped build a lot of it, Range Pond is my favorite after work trail just enought there for a good work out

I do love Bradbury, miles of trails it would take a weekend to hit it all.

oh can't forget the Wild River High Water trail.I think some of it is in Maine and some is in New Hampsire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Is Mt A considered in NH for the purposes of this discussion? Otherwise, I'm not sure why it hasn't got a mention yet.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
    Went to Libby Hill after work and got the crap kicked out of me and my bike on the outback trail which is nothing but roots and HUGE chunk. Spent lots of time falling and walking.

Do you think Mt Waldo is worth a 2 hour drive north for me? from what I can find it only has 2 miles of trails.
    No. Head to N. Conway instead for real mountains. Mt Waldo is pretty cool, but not worth making a destination out of. That is not fact, just my opinion.

cranktankerous Mainer
    Quote Originally Posted by mirusa View Post
    Is Mt A considered in NH for the purposes of this discussion? Otherwise, I'm not sure why it hasn't got a mention yet.
    Mt.A is my favorite place to ride in Maine. yayyyy!
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Tallboy LTc & Bronson

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddski View Post
    Mt.A is my favorite place to ride in Maine. yayyyy!
    Can you give me directions to ride?

mtbr member
    Found a couple of interesting looking trails here: Maine Trails

So bummed by how soon it gets dark now, by the time I get home from work at 6 Its too dark to even bother driving 15 minutes down the road for a 30 minute ride.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Lights are pretty inexpensive now. Night riding is very fun!

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    Lights are pretty inexpensive now. Night riding is very fun!
    Especially the ones from China with the exploding battery.
    beaver hunt

sinner
    Jan 2007
    No. Head to N. Conway instead for real mountains. Mt Waldo is pretty cool, but not worth making a destination out of. That is not fact, just my opinion.
    Waldo Is a great place to have in your backyard and a great place to ride if you are in the area. It is one big climb and 2 rad descents. I can do 2 laps in under 2 hours so it more of a place to do multiple laps or get in a quicker ride. It can be ridden on anything but it was made for All Mountain bikes.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Especially the ones from China with the exploding battery.
    No, not THAT one! Cygolite baby!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    subbed. ill have to keep this in mind next time i go to maine!

mtbr member
    A favorite list of trails for a state where people don't like to talk about where they ride.

sinner
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian View Post
    A favorite list of trails for a state where people don't like to talk about where they ride.
    No it is the state where you need a sense of adventure and the ability to read a map. Not every trail head has a Kiosk marking out where to go and what to ride. Most of the trails are unmarked and alot of them are on private land that the land owners don't want them marked.

Besides, Getting lost is half the fun. I got lost on Sunday and it turn a 20 mile ride into a 40 miler.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by itchyjesus View Post
    No it is the state where you need a sense of adventure and the ability to read a map. Not every trail head has a Kiosk marking out where to go and what to ride. Most of the trails are unmarked and alot of them are on private land that the land owners don't want them marked.

Besides, Getting lost is half the fun. I got lost on Sunday and it turn a 20 mile ride into a 40 miler.
    While I share your opinion...
    Most of the time that is what riders are avoiding.

sinner
    Jan 2007
    While I share your opinion...
    Most of the time that is what riders are avoiding.

The lost was bit of a joke. If you have a Garmin it is almost impossible to get lost. (Dead Battery excluded)

Most of the places in this thread have marked trails with maps available. Orono/Oldtown doesn't and that is public land for the most part. There is some maps and I do know of an effort being put into motion right now to map and mark the University trails. Waldo is private land.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It's easy enough to meet people and ask to join in for a ride... Unless you're a complainer from New Jersey apparently.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchyjesus View Post
    The 40 mile part is the part I'm looking for. Seems like most of the ones I've found so far are only 6-8 miles, with the exception of Bradbury but I want to go 40 miles without seeing the same spots on the trail 3-4 times.

mtbr member
    yo itchy j why no mention of the Bog?

clue: I'm riding a blue bike with red wheels

Got A Lust for Life...
    The 40 mile part is the part I'm looking for. Seems like most of the ones I've found so far are only 6-8 miles, with the exception of Bradbury but I want to go 40 miles without seeing the same spots on the trail 3-4 times.
    Portland or Bangor for you then...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockland View Post
    It's easy enough to meet people and ask to join in for a ride... Unless you're a complainer from New Jersey apparently.

There is either not many places to ride in ME, or people don't talk about where they ride.
    Last edited by idbrian; 09-29-2011 at 01:19 PM.

mtbr member
    I don't think he was referring to 40 miles of singletrack. Otherwise you could easily do 40 miles of riding in Mt.A.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Are you still hung up on that not-talking thing?

Show up for group rides. Meet people. Talk with them there. I've never gone on a ride and had people hold out on me.

The fact is that I can think of more networks I've ridden without legit maps than ones with them. How do you tell someone on the internet where to go when the trailheads are subtle land cues? Do you risk posting a trail garmin file if there are brewing land issues? This isn't eastern MA. That's the point everyone's making.

I have to agree with Itchyjesus alittle bit. When I moved to a new area in Maine, I can't tell you how much cool stuff I've found on my bike by looking at google earth, finding pieces of undeveloped land, and exploring. That, and showing up for all the group rides in my immediate area.

beer thief

There is either not many places to ride in ME, or people don't talk about where they ride.
    Sorry, but I think that is a bunch of BS. Everywhere I've been in ME people are happy not only to talk about where they ride but are willing to show me around or hook me up with someone who will.

You are stereotyping an entire state because you can't get specific ride information off the internet. You're probably a great guy in person, Brian, but you don't come across that way in this forum. Maybe that's why you have trouble getting info.

Follow Banshee's advice and you'll find all sorts of stuff that would be impossible to describe otherwise.

SC Junkie
    I hate this website. Come to Maine, I will show you the goods. And yes you can make a 40 mile loop with almost no road riding and not touch the same trail twice.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by SATANRULES View Post
    I hate this website. Come to Maine, I will show you the goods. And yes you can make a 40 mile loop with almost no road riding and not touch the same trail twice.
    You hate this website.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Bradbury is a great spot, but have found myself over at Blackstrap Preserve/Lowell Preserve in the Falmouth/Windham area far more lately. For a quick ride the River Trail is fun, and it helps when its out the door and a 5 min road ride to the trail head.
    Last edited by colds14; 09-30-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colds14 View Post
    Bradbury is a great spot, but have found myself over at Blackstrap Preserve/Lowell Preserve in the Falmouth/Windham area far more lately. For a quick ride the River Trail is fun, and it helps when its out the door and a 5 min road ride to the trail head.
    That's about 20 minutes from me. I'll have to check it out some time. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Here is the trail map to Blackstrap. http://www.town.falmouth.me.us/pages...apHill%202.jpg

And here is the map for Lowell. http://www.windham (scroll down to the attachment links).

The trick to both places is to get lost and keep your eyes open.

mtbr member
    How is Libby Hill these days? Is it still a lot of washed out dbl track or has it been improved. I has been a while. thanks

indigosky
    Quote Originally Posted by SATANRULES View Post
    Wow, takes a lot for you to come out of "lurk" mode and post, huh Satan?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcandy View Post
    How is Libby Hill these days? Is it still a lot of washed out dbl track or has it been improved. I has been a while. thanks
    I wouldn't call it washed out dbl track but I wouldn't know what it was like prior to 4 months ago. There is a few miles single track, not sure if this is new(er) as well. I generally stay off the more challenging single track when its wet, way to many huge rocks and roots for my skill level.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Sorry, but I think that is a bunch of BS. Everywhere I've been in ME people are happy not only to talk about where they ride but are willing to show me around or hook me up with someone who will.

You are stereotyping an entire state because you can't get specific ride information off the internet. You're probably a great guy in person, Brian, but you don't come across that way in this forum. Maybe that's why you have trouble getting info.

Follow Banshee's advice and you'll find all sorts of stuff that would be impossible to describe otherwise.
    Everyone i've met on trails in Maine, or ride with has been the same; great. I can't think of any place i've ridden in the Northeast where riders at the trailheads, on the trails, or on group rides are anything but cool. My jabs at people not sharing info on the forums are just that; jabs at people that talk about but won't share trail info on the forums. I've annoyed people with my peeve in other places i've lived and forums i've frequented.

I haven't even seen it in a while on here anyways, so i'm clearly just being annoying.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Everyone i've met on trails in Maine, or ride with has been the same; great. I can't think of any place i've ridden in the Northeast where riders at the trailheads, on the trails, or on group rides are anything but cool. My jabs at people not sharing info on the forums are just that; jabs at people that talk about but won't share trail info on the forums. I've annoyed people with my peeve in other places i've lived and forums i've frequented.

I haven't even seen it in a while on here anyways, so i'm clearly just being annoying.
    I believe you deserve credit for understanding.

no dabs
    Oct 2008
    For orono/ old town trail network, there are now detailed maps with maybe 50 miles of trails posted at many major intersections. Study these for how to get out when you are tired, and avoid all the marked/mapped trails unless you need a highway to get out... The problem with these trails is that you will be on an awesome trail, and all of a sudden it dumps you out on a ski trail or public road. If you don't know that the trail starts up again on that little deer path looking thing 50 feet down the ski trail, not that little deer path looking thing 30 ft down the ski trail... Basically you need a ton of time or you are screwed exploring by yourself, depending on your perspective.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Maine is a great place to ride and if you see riders they are more then likely willing to take you out. My favorite riding is:

Camden Snow Bowl
    Bradbury
    Clifford Park