mtbr member
    Jan 2011

What type of bike do YOU ride in southern vt/nh???

Planning a permanent move to the Brattleboro area in a month or so.
    Currently I ride a rigid ss in the philadelphia area, but i feel my needs will change up north.

So where and what kind of rig do you ride? Fatbike? Susser? how much travel?

thanks, looking forward to the move, and plan on keeping my ss regardless.
    Last edited by ardmoregeorge; 02-07-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Ride and Smile suckas
    Go 1X10 Surly Krumpas. Swiss army bike.
    4 seasons of fun on that bad boy.
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.snemba.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks, yeah I'm really just uncertain. Being more of a tech xc guys was thinking an epic. But maybe could use more travel, stumpy fsr, camber? It is obvious that I'm also a spesh kind of guy.

More input would be great

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ardmoregeorge View Post
    Planning a permanent move to the Brattleboro area in a month or so.
    Currently I ride a rigid ss in the philadelphia area, but i feel my needs will change up north.

So where and what kind of rig do you ride? Fatbike? Susser? how much travel?

thanks, looking forward to the move, and plan on keeping my ss regardless.
    hay, I live in central NH, so kind of close. I help out at the LBS, most bikes we sell now are 29er FS. I have been a 6 inch bike for years and it fits my riding style and the trails I like to ride, lots of up lost of down. I just went with a 27.5 150 mm bike and love it. If your used to a SS rigid you should be fine with a hard tail. For the most part VT and NH trails are tight and lots of rocks/rots and it can get slick. So good grippy tires are a must in my book. I also live and die by my dropper seatpost, but you being a SS I bet you will think I am silly. We also have lots of chailifts running in the summer, so if your into that getting a bike that is good on the dh trail and xc trail might be something to consider.
    Cheers

cranktankerous Mainer
    If your keeping your SS, go with a 29 Stumpy, that bike will rip on everything up here!
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Bronson, Tallboy & Highball

mtbr member
    Most call me old school. Im riding a 29er HT. Yeti Big Top to be exact. I live in southern NH and ride tight single track. Lots of roots and rocks. Someday I may go FS....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    thanks guys, narrowing down to an epic or a stumpy 29 fsr, the epic would be more to my normal style of riding but not sure how it would hold up to some rougher stuff. hence the thought of a stumpy.

Competent User
    Quote Originally Posted by ardmoregeorge View Post
    thanks guys, narrowing down to an epic or a stumpy 29 fsr, the epic would be more to my normal style of riding but not sure how it would hold up to some rougher stuff. hence the thought of a stumpy.
    I'm in southern NH, but you might want to split the difference and check out the Camber. I have a 2012 Camber 29, and the 2013 is a better frame. From what I understand, the Epics are pretty racy, and not all that comfortable for getting banged around on these rocks and roots. Personally, I wish I'd gone with the Stumpjumper, or something more burly than my 4" 29er FS. But I'd recommend going with at least the Camber. Basically, I'm recommending to lean more towards a comfortable trail bike that's closer to all mountain than XC.

But like they said, if you're used to a rigid SS, then you're probably already pretty hardcore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Mr.Quint, funny you mention tghe camber, because i did have a 2013 comp. I really liked the bike but bought the wrong size and it never felt right. So ended up taking a hit on selling it. Kinda dont wanna buy the same bike again(correct sized), but one thing I do remember was alot of fork flex on the reba at that travel.

The stumpy comp fsr is all the same spec as the camber comp except a fox fork and shock. couple more bucks for it but I also love it in the all black. that may be the route I'll go. def. appreciate the feedback

Competent User
    The fork flex is definitely an issue, and I completely understand where you're coming from in not wanting the same bike twice. Specialized went with the 9mm QR on the fork for way too long. If I'd known the difference when I bought it, I'd have spent more. Live and learn.

Some days, I *love* my bike. Doing 2 days at Kingdom Trails, it's a great bike for that place. Other days I don't. Going to more rocky, technical stuff, it never quite feels like there's enough bike for me. Some of that is the rider.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    this is pretty much my final choice, and luckily my shop said spesh shows them readily available which is not the norm for my choices.
    What type of bike do YOU ride in southern vt/nh???-stumpy.png