mtbr member
    Nov 2009

VT - West Bolton > Bolton Ski area > Little River > Cotton Brook??

Almost got it. Will mean taking on some VAST trail, and I might not make it back out again this fall, but might try it on the Pugs.

From last weekend on the Fargo > some trails on Stage Rd. led me to Preston Pond, then on to Notch Rd. Found the gate to a VAST trail, sign said state land.

Then researching when I got home found some runners who did a race a few times from Richmond to the top of Bolton Mt. VAST, Catamount, etc.

I'm good from West Bolton to the Bolton access road, just need to ride it.

Anyone done the connect into Little River or Cotton Brook, on a bike, from Bolton?

IMAG4473 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Missing Link by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Here's an image from a running blog. Bolton access road on the far right, where they head up to the top via ski trail and long trail. I know the VAST trail crosses the road there and heads to Waterbury / Little River.

no response from the writer. would love to see a GPX.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    well...I think you're looking at a bunch of private land and "winter use only" land (Catamount or VAST). I've been involved in designing the VYCC "Bolton to the Barns" ski tour which ends in Richmond, and thats the combination of those three parcels, VAST, Catamount, and Private land. There is a route, but its likely not bike friendly, I "skied" it early one year laying out the route for the VYCC tour. The landowner there is very accommodating, but the land is posted. If you do link it all up, please do those of us affiliated with the VYCC and keep your route private. It could jeopardize the annual fundraiser we've put many, many hours into.

I havent ridden the full length from cottonbrook, but the road from Moscow/Nebraska Valley goes on for a while. I assume it connects with the Woodard Mtn. trail or something near to it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I can definitely respect private land. The part I'm interested in is Notch Rd. to Bolton. Stage Rd. to Notch Rd. is marked trail for hike, bike, ski, snomo. Met a hiker in the woods who was very helpful. I don't plan on riding trail from Richmond, decent dirt roads to get me up there from south and west.

From Notch Rd. heading to Bolton the trail is initially noted as entering state land, and I only went 100', so I have to do more exploring. If it turns posted, I'll find the Long Trail and carry my bike up and over, just to do it once.

I am eying this for winter use too...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Cool. Kudos to you for "adventuring" on two wheels! I know that section you're talking about, and you should be able to link it up. I dont have a map to help, but I think its pretty straightforward with VAST network.

Good Luck!